Apple to EOL Retina MacBook after one revision?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dogslobber, Nov 30, 2015.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/30/thinner-macbook-air-13-15-wwdc-2016/

One can't help but think that the MacBook was a stepping stop to the newer MBA revision coming next year. This would make sense given the MB and MBA product lines are competing with one another. Given a lot of the issues a MB has are resolved by the MBA, you only need to add a retina display to the MBA for any value a MB has to be immediately extinguished.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

You mean "a lot of your personal issues with the MB". :)

I can see Apple keeping the MacBook as an ultraportable. I mean Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc all offer ultraportables (in addition to their other lightweight Air-like notebooks). Why can't Apple?

That, and I'm trying to remember a recent time where Apple did what you're saying. If this Air-redesign rumor is actually true, it's not like it was a surprise to Apple. "Oh crap, these new Airs are the same as the retina MacBook. Looks like we didn't need to develop that after all. Whoops!" That seems to be what you're saying.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I doubt it. More likely is that any larger "Air" models will be rebranded as MacBook. The 12" MacBook is the successor to the 11.6" MacBook Air.

4. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

It's too crowded on the shop floor. If you have to explain the subtle differences between the MB and MBA then you've failed the test. The simplicity is what it's all about.

And here's an example of a 1 generation flop system from Apple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4_Cube

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The MacBook Air is being kept around only long enough for the Core M processors to become powerful enough for Apple to make the MacBook Air mainstream. Mac sales are increasing, and I'm guessing the MacBook is a big reason why. Apple notebooks have outsold desktops for years, and the MacBook is the only really new model this year.

If you add a Retina display to the MacBook Air, and the larger battery to accommodate it, you essentially have a slower version of the Retina MacBook Pro. Now THAT would crowd the shop quite a bit.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I was more hoping the Airs go EOL,

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I was thinking more along those lines however if the MBA's get a complete face lift as suggest by the reference of the OP and the rMB only gets a modest upgrade or none at all

I would not be wanting to buy or sit on a current MBA if that was important to me :D

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

The MacBook Air "crowded the shop floor" (requiring explanations of why they weren't quite MacBooks nor were they quite MacBook Pros) from 2008 until mid-2011 (3.5 years) and Apple survived.

Something tells me they'll be able to handle the "shop floor complexities" of the retina MacBook without any problems...

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's the most likely scenario and we will see the macbook replace the air in a generation or two just like the air replaced the macbook once Apple was able to get the cost down enough.

10. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

The alleged 'story' from Taiwan merely states that Apple is working on new notebooks that are thin and light. What a surprise. The key passage that you ignore is here:

"The addition of a 15-inch MacBook Air could hint at Apple's vision for its future lineup, with the 12-inch MacBook occupying the ultraportable spot, the MacBook Air serving mainstream customers at 13 and 15 inches, and the MacBook Pro offering more power at those same sizes."

Apple doesn't license OSX to other hardware makers, they are their own standalone supplier to thousands of retail outlets. They need 3 lines of notebooks to stay relevant in a space that they own less than 8% of. Having a good/better/best merchandising strategy is expected.

I'll use my family as an example. As a student, my eldest son has a MacBook Pro as he's a burgeoning app developer who is into gaming. My executive wife has a MacBook Air because that's what her IT department supports as its sole alternative to Windows PC's. I have a Retina MacBook because I travel and put a premium on the latest new tech. My middle son has a MacBook Air because he's neither an exec with an IT department or a traveling executive like his parents, he's in 10th grade and needs something pedestrian as an alternative to the Chromebook he was given for free.

If Apple did not have these 3 pricing and performance tiers, we wouldn't have 4 MacBook's in the family. My wife wouldn't drag around the weight of the Pro, I wouldn't be caught dead with an Air, and my kids would be in Microsoft products for either their performance or their pricing.

You should be happy that Apple looks to be keeping the Air alive. If they release new models next year, well, you're only 3 years away from getting one off of Craigslist or Apple refurb so there's that to look forward to.

BJ

11. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

I see the Air going the way of the iPhone 5C.

A budget Mac for children and those in developing third-world nations.

BJ

12. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

But if MBA moves to the same processor as the MB then you're now converging the MBA and MB lines. If battery technology is the only thing preventing a rMBA then I think that tech advances quite quickly that it's likely to offer a retina LCD in 2016.

I couldn't see the MBA processor being downgraded to the MB processor. Let's face it, the MB processor is a rebadged atom processor you find struggling to power a netbook. It's a toy processor.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) does happen on the next MBA redesign, but I still don't think (back to your thread title) that the 12" rMB is going to be EOL'ed.

14. KPOM, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

KPOM macrumors G5

Uh, have you seen benchmarks for the Core M? Look at PC World's recent benchmarks comparing the A9X to the Core M, Core i5, and Atom. The A9X runs circles around the Atom, but the Core M outperforms the A9X in most tests.

The Core M is most certainly not a "toy" processor. It is built on the same architecture as the Core i5, while the Atom is built on an older architecture.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006...he-ipad-pro-really-isnt-as-fast-a-laptop.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9117/analyzing-intel-core-m-performance

Given that Microsoft went with the Skylake 15W processors for the Surface Book (which it compares to the 13" MacBook Pro), it's possible that Apple uses the same processor in at least some models of the 13" MacBook Pro rather than the 28W version. If that's the case then I can totally see them using the 5W Skylake Core M in additional models.

15. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Most people don't come close to using the BHP in their devices, it's just more marketing...

16. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I think the rMB generation was an opportunity to reset the forthcoming rMBA price point. It introduces some new technology that will flow to more powerful systems via a bump in prices. Apple isn't stupid and knows how to play their market.

17. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Atom processors are extremely underpowered and that's well known in the industry. If you're happy using a processor in a Facebook computer then that's fine. Some of us need a processor that allows us to get some real work done.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple sells laptops that have more capable processors. Out of curiosity, what kind of processor-intensive "real work" do you do on your laptop?

Seems like from the post you made here, your current Mac has the processing power of a 2010 MBA? If that's your standard for getting "real work done", unless you're currently maxing it out at 100% on a regular basis, I don't think the existing Core Ms are going to disappoint you.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

Hence I don't have a PC with an Atom. I have a MacBook with a far more powerful Core M. :)

Did you even read the articles? There is no comparison between the Atom x7 in a Surface 3 and the Core M in a MacBook. The latter runs circles around the Atom and bests the A9X on most tasks.

20. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

The flaw in your trolling is that you're not thinking like a customer.

Typical 47 year old mom walks into an Apple Store, says she needs a new family computer for the kitchen. Sales person says, "oh, you need a MacBook Air, it's our most affordable model". She hands over her credit card, done.

The horsepower behind these notebooks doesn't matter to the non-professional, the typical consumer. It's about price, screen size, and weight, in that order. So having 3 different lines that address these consumer concerns is all that's necessary to maintain their single-digit niche in the space, very few people care about the few milliseconds of launch time that, ooh, a "faster processor" brings.

BJ

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

But people could equally say you are trolling too - trolling as a word or term seems to be used these days when two people don't agree and its used as a put down to say i know more than you. Im taking no sides.

I think he has a point and it's not trolling at all.. just an opinion. And just for point of clarification a 2010 MBA is not as powerful as the the rMB... just saying. Not my benchmarks.

22. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

the thing that no-one's saying in this is what John Gruber also pointed out - a sketchy rumour says "MacBook Air" revisions coming soon. But before the rMB came out this year we all thought it was the "New Air" as well. The truth behind this rumour could just as likely be new 13"/15" Retina MacBooks than new MacBook Air.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Apple has changed names on a computer line before without any real design change. Remember the aluminum 13" Macbook?

I think the general design of the current rMB will become the lower-cost mainstream line. The current MBA design, as we know it, will be gone soon. Whether the newer design is called "Air" or not is irrelevant. Meanwhile, the Pro line will continue to be the more expensive, thicker, and more powerful alternative.

24. Rangomango macrumors member

Agreed 100%

I gave my mom a 2009 unibody macbook that my sister in college deemed too slow. Mom hasn't complained at all since she is able to shop and watch movies....like a majority of users.

And to take it one step further, its not even your average customers who do that. I know heavy power users that have airs just so they can remote into their main desktop machines when they are away. Any computer can run the remote desktop software.

I think all the changes Apple is trying to make is to prevent them from getting stale and staying ahead of the competition. They could easily make a cheaper macbook today if they wanted to...but why would they when they don't have to. Once sales start slumping, I can see them launching a budget mac.

25. brentsg macrumors 68040

Except the poster he's commenting on is doing this in nearly every MacBook thread going.