Apple to Invest $100 Million in LCD Panel Maker Japan Display

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 27, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A report today from Japan-based Asahi claims Apple plans to invest millions in LCD panel supplier Japan Display Inc (JDI) to aid its restructuring, after the firm's bailout plan fell through on the withdrawal of a key backer.

[​IMG]

According to Asahi, JDI is set to receive a $100 million investment from Apple, news that has sent the panel maker's shares up as much as 32 percent in Tokyo.

As part of the investment, Apple will also reportedly increase LCD panel orders from JDI at the expense of some of its orders from China.

News of Apple's intentions come at a crucial time for the ailing LCD panel supplier, which had been waiting on a proposed investment of $230 million from Taiwan's TPK Holding to cover its losses, before the proposal was withdrawn last week.

Financial firm CGL Group also dropped its investment plans earlier this month, leaving JDI unsure whether other members in the Chinese-Taiwanese consortium would follow through with their own bailout proposals.

JDI relies on Apple for more than half of its sales, but its mainstay LCD business has been hit heavily by less-than-stellar sales of the iPhone XR and the growing adoption of OLED panel technology.

That has left the supplier scrambling to invest in OLED production to turn around its business, which saw a $2.3 billion loss in 2018.

A report in April claimed JDI would supply the OLED screens for this year's new Apple Watch model.

If the firm can stay afloat it could potentially do the same for future iPhones, which would help Apple diversify its supply chain and allow the tech giant to reduce its heavy reliance on Samsung for the newer OLED display tech.

Article Link: Apple to Invest $100 Million in LCD Panel Maker Japan Display

2. JetTester macrumors 6502

Dear Apple, I too have had my head up my ass, and haven’t kept up with technology advances. I think I could turn it around with a mere $10 million, no wait, $50 million. Please send it in cash, preferably small bills. Thanks!

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And you offer what to Apple in return?

4. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

With all of the stories and rumors about Apple investing in display, they are serious about removing their reliance on Samsung.

5. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

The same thing as Japan Display... a convenient write-off when the investment inevitably turns to mush.:p:D Only @JetTester will be a slightly smaller risk.;)

6. nt5672 macrumors 68000

I though microLED was the future, no OLED.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

More distant future. They still have to make phones for the immediate future, say the next 2-4 years. I think mLED might appear on Apple's AW around 2023-24 timeframe, then if made viable at volume, in an iPhone around 2024 timeframe.

The mLED Samsung is using in their TV's isn't ready for smartphones.

8. Textime macrumors regular

Now we know that the next iPhone XR and iPhone X Mini will definitely get LCD