Apple to Join 'Robocall Strike Force' to Crack Down on Automated Phone Calls

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2016.

1. sw1tcher macrumors 68000

sw1tcher

My temporary solution to robo calling problem: If I don't recognize number calling or number is blocked, I don't answer.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I am migrating my landlines to Vonage because they also support Nomorobo. Funny part is the salespeople at Vonage don't even know they support Nomorobo!

3. paul4339, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

paul4339 macrumors 65816

Nevermind the US gov putting a tax on each call... the gov will just encourage the behaviour to raise more tax revenue...

too bad there isn't a way for ME to tax anyone who calls me with a small fee, say 25 cents. If it's a legit call, i'll waive the fee, if it's phone spam I get credited 25 cents.

If you put a price to each piece of phone spam, companies will think twice before they setup war dialers.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Blocking is far from 100% effective, but it isn't quite as futile as you suggest. A good many of these spoofed CIDs remain active for years and it's very common to get several call from the same number over the course of a few days if not minutes. Google the suspect number if you have any doubt, and if it has been reported to one of the telemarking sites, block it right away and you don't get the repeats. A pain in the neck but still worth the effort.

5. sw1tcher macrumors 68000

sw1tcher

6. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I kid you not, I just had this happen (see screenshot) while reading this article, and had two other non-anonymous robo calls from two area codes earlier this morning. It is rapidly getting worse!

Attached Files:

7. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I only came to this thread to see comments about Wall -E :D To stay on topic though, automated phone calls are really annoying and so it's a positive step to see intentions to reduce/counteract the problem.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Never call back. Never ask to be removed from a call list, unless it's a legitimate company you know. Otherwise do not answer these calls at all or speak to them, unless you get your jollies from jerking their chains. Keep in mind you are dealing with criminals.

9. nutmac macrumors 601

The real issue at hand is spoofed caller ID.

I once received a telemarketing call with my own phone number. Phone numbers cannot be trusted.

If the industry is sincere about fixing the problem, figure out a way to differentiate spoofed calls or replace phone numbers altogether with something more trustworthy.

10. sw1tcher macrumors 68000

sw1tcher

I think it's like with spam email. If you answer the call or wait to speak to a live person and ask to be removed from their call list, you're just confirming that you'll answer the call or your number is active, and then they'll either ignore your stop calling request, forward (sell?) your number to the next person/company to robo call you, or both.

I did that in the beginning and robo calls started getting more frequent. It's best just to ignore the call.

11. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

They can swiftly crack down on robo calls but they cant give us decent plans?

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

When I see one of these phone calls coming in, I wish I could tap a button on my screen that would zap the distant end with 500 volts!

13. terryzx macrumors regular

terryzx

Try using YouMail.com as you can block those calls and others there and it's free!!! Great service

14. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

wall-e didn't make phone calls, he picked up garbage!

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

That app is too creepy for me, it uploads all of my contacts information, like every single piece of information I have on their contacts entry. Crowdsourcing is definitely the way to go, but I'm probably too old to fully give in to the modern era of no privacy and just felt guilty at giving over someone elses information.

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Same happened to us. Our Verizon land line developed a problem on their end though they claim it was the line to our house. But we moved and the problem persisted. We tried for ten years to get it fixed! Then one day it was fixed and the barrage of telemarketing calls was so horrible I disconnected all of our land line phones. We just use our cell phones now but slowly robo calls are starting to come across those, too. :mad:

17. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's what I do, but it's still really annoying. If they don't leave a voicemail, or text, I block them. This year has been the worse yet. I don't know if I have my phone number out on the net somewhere, but I'm pretty cautious about giving out my number.

It would suck if I had to take a lot of business calls from unknown numbers. **** would be a nightmare. There's very reasons why I would get a call from an unknown number.

18. xero9 macrumors 6502a

If I can stop receiving timeshare calls, I'd be the happiest guy in the world. Even being able to filter out specific area codes is all I ask.

It got to the point where simply forwarding all incoming calls directly to voicemail is the only option I can stay sane. FaceTime Audio or WhatsApp calls only for me..

19. npmacuser5, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

What works best on my landline, simple answering machine, set to toll saver, generic message, No caller ID (bonus saves money), inform important callers about my setup, set volume to low, and Never answer the phone. Important calls leave a message, if I am home they get a quick call back. Robocalls do not like to leave a message (political exception), wastes their server time, and no benefit to them as most need a response. Therefore, they understand toll saver and will in most cases hang up in 4 rings just before answering machine picks up. If they leave a message, easy to hit delete button.

What helps on my cellphone, any call not in my contacts I Never answer, use a generic message, and block those numbers that do not leave a message. Reduces the amount of calls over time.

Not perfect, reduces the interruption from answering unwanted calls, and if a telemarketing and robo call systems detects a real person, just like unsubscribing from spam, generates more calls. It really does work, takes a few months, greatly reduces the annoyance and number of these calls. Maybe an option to consider.

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

My solution is Google Voice. I can simply block the number, my phone doesn't ring as the caller doesn't go past Google.

21. nutmac macrumors 601

I once received a robe call with my own phone number. So even a number you recognize may be robo calls.

22. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

I'd say with some confidence that over 75% of the times my phone rings it is a robot.

23. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

Share on blogs the phone number that called you rather than using 555. The scammers might be slowed down and it may cost them money.

24. nt5672 macrumors 68000

We dropped our land line around 2005. We just use cell phones and we never, never answer numbers not in our contacts. If it is important the caller will leave a message. Spammers know we won't call back and don't leave messages. Simple, no worries about blocking numbers that might be important. If someone whats to crack down on this, all they have to do is make it more expensive to robo-call. The problem is that high volume telco users get huge discounts. Just stop the discounts, then we all would benefit by not having to pay our part of infrastructure that no one wants.

25. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

Easy solution for the phone companies. Any client that makes 100 outbound calls in an hour is a spammer and should be cut off from services. I have never been able to figure out a legitimate business need to make that many outbound calls.