Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_icloud_abbey_road.jpg

paidContent reports that Apple has secured agreements with major music labels to offer its iTunes in the Cloud service in a number of European markets, with the United Kingdom set to see the first expansion beyond the United States.
The expansion of "iTunes in the Cloud" from the US, where it was made available in the US in June, will allow people who have bought songs from Apple's iTunes Music Store to synchronize them among multiple devices such as PCs, iPhones and iPads via wireless connections. Previously they would have to connect them to a computer and synchronize them.

The technology giant has been locked in negotiations with the four major music groups--EMI, Sony (NYSE: SNE), Warner and Universal--to seal the "iTunes in the Cloud" deal in time for Tuesday's announcement.
The agreements will not, however, see Apple launching the paid iTunes Match component of its cloud-based music services yet. iTunes Match scans users' music libraries and automatically mirrors any content that is available through the iTunes Store into iCloud, allowing users to bypass the process of uploading each and every track from their libraries. iTunes Match is priced at $24.99 per year in the United States.

paidContent also confirms that Apple will be discontinuing the iPod classic as has been rumored.

Article Link: Apple to Launch 'iTunes in the Cloud' in the UK, But No iTunes Match Yet

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
That's great news and potentially part of the reason for the live stream of the launch to Apple's Covent Garden store.

Now we just need the dinosaurs at the PRS to pull their fingers out of you know where so we can have Match too.

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
Not fussed about the Cloud unless it includes Match myself.

Not sure why there is the need to get licensing cover. I have bought and paid for it, I am just storing it online.

The Match side I see a strong reasoning to get the labels involved.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
so a download history for the few songs I've already bought from iTunes? Basically a feature I was surprised wasn't already there.

oh well, hopefully match isn't too far behind.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
I still do not get the whole cloud thing to be honest but hey makes a change from waiting months at a time i suppose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.