Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mountainlion.png

Apple's set to release the latest version of OS X later this month. OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) is a $19.99 upgrade that will be available on the Mac App Store.

The latest Mac operating system contains a number of improvements and features. The list includes Reminders, Messages, Notification Center, Power Nap, Dictation, Gatekeeper and many more.

Apple has only said that the new version of OS X will launch in July, but 9to5Mac now speculates that Apple may be launching the new version of OS X on July 25th.

The reasoning comes from reports that Apple Retail stores will be performing overnight updates to stores on July 24th. Those updates could include the posting of marketing information and OS installations of OS X Mountain Lion to store computers.

While the exact content of the overnight updates aren't yet confirmed, the timing would also correlate with Vacation blackout days that MacRumors had heard from several employees at a thirty-party firm that offers technical support for Apple products.

Article Link: Apple to Launch OS X Mountain Lion on July 25th?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
A Wednesday? That seems a little odd to me... what day do they normally release new OS versions on? I thought, in order from most to least common, they were Tuesday, Friday, Monday?

Either way, it sounds like there's a decent chance my ML app updates will be approved in time for ML's release (I submitted them last night... I had them ready on Wednesday, but Apple's Mac Dev pages have been loading SOOOOO slow since they told developers to start submitting!)

I'm running the GM so I'll probably wait until a week or two after ML is officially launched to get OSX 10.8.0... no point in waiting for an 8 hour download when it could take just 30 minutes a week later.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I can't wait, but I know that I wouldn't be able to get it the day it comes out because Apple's servers would be pounded, and it would take 8 hours to download.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
A Wednesday? That seems a little odd to me... what day do they normally release new OS versions on? I thought, in order from most to least common, they were Tuesday, Friday, Monday?

Does it really matter? It's coming out this month for sure, I can't wait to receive iMessages on my mac :D

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
they also speculate that there wont be any updated hardware WTF!!!!!! seriously whats going with the iMacs is anyone with me?

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011

Lion was released on a Wednesday as well. Wednesday the 20th. I figured it'll probably be the 25th, the day after the Q3 conference if they repeat what they did last year.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I can't wait, but I know that I wouldn't be able to get it the day it comes out because Apple's servers would be pounded, and it would take 8 hours to download.
I think they use a content deliver network like Akami, as it wasn't slow to download on release day for most (IIRC from posts on here).

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I hope 2012 iMac rumors start to trickle in now too. I think many will be disappointed if the iMac and Mac Mini don't get Ivy Bridge updates along side the Mountain Lion release.

Sofabutt

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Wgas?

I've always been slow to adopt apples newest os and os updates. Only new os x users adopt early updates. But I will never upgrade to mountain lion. I don't need sand boxing or fewer features or iOS like options. Screw apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
They really seem to have stopped the "same day of the week" update/release thing. Or slowed it, at least.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I hope 2012 iMac rumors start to trickle in now too. I think many will be disappointed if the iMac and Mac Mini don't get Ivy Bridge updates along side the Mountain Lion release.

heres the original post from 9to5 mac they say there wont be any hardware with ML.. i am so upset about this but i think theres hope because last year i bought a macbook air when lion came out and they werent in store stock till two days after so theres still hope

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple...c-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Is this only a upgrade or can I download it to make a clean install?
Also, all revisions of Lion that I got in the torrents and all the previews of Mountain Lion I've tried are buggy in my computer (iMac late 2008 3.06gh C2D and 4gb mem) so what if I pay for this Mountain Lion and it's still buggy?
Does anyone knows if I would be able to get a refund from Apple..?:confused:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Well ill be stopping by the Apple store when it comes out to try it out

I hope its.good, I find mused on my gaming tower at home more than ever because 10.7 is a poop. Hopefully 10.8 will make me want to use my imac again

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
Is this only a upgrade or can I download it to make a clean install?
Also, all revisions of Lion that I got in the torrents and all the previews of Mountain Lion I've tried are buggy in my computer (iMac late 2008 3.06gh C2D and 4gb mem) so what if I pay for this Mountain Lion and it's still buggy?
Does anyone knows if I would be able to get a refund from Apple..?:confused:
You can always download and make a bootable USB to make a clean install. But are you that worried about $20?

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
waiting for this so I can finally get the rMBP pre-installed with ML!!!
really dont want the hassle to download ML and then wait... hahaha

C.G.B. Spender

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
Is it that hard to remove damn white colour background from the image? Make it transparent. Looks better.

What is this?

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-16%20at%2006.47.33.jpg

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
You can always download and make a bootable USB to make a clean install. But are you that worried about $20?

I sure am!!:D
I'm not from US and the money rate is really not something I like, if you know what I mean...:(
Plus, 20 bucks are 20 bucks, if the OSX 10.8 is still buggy I could spend this money elsewhere instead of trashing it. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.