Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
What's sad is how dumb yet smart this is. It's dumb because any Mac user with non-DRM songs can cut a ringtone for free in Garage Band. It's not exactly rocket science. But it's smart on Apple's part because 1) not everybody has GB, and 2) some people really can't figure this out and will pay $3 for a stupid song snippet.

Why more than 99 cents is ever charged for a ringtone is beyond me. I guess it's kinda like the store with a 2-liter drink for 99 cents but a cold 20-ounce is $1.39.

cyper2002

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
I think you would have to be an idiot to pay for ringtones when you can make them for free in iTunes. Besides, we have already payed for the music on our iPhones so we should be able to choose it as a ringtone right on the phone. It's stupid that we can't do this, considering that other phones do.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
What's sad is how dumb yet smart this is. It's dumb because any Mac user with non-DRM songs can cut a ringtone for free in Garage Band. It's not exactly rocket science. But it's smart on Apple's part because 1) not everybody has GB, and 2) some people really can't figure this out and will pay $3 for a stupid song snippet.

You don't even need Garage band. You can use iTunes itself to create the ringtone.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why does everyone expect something revolutionary at this event? They do it EVERY FREAKING YEAR, and for some reason people think theres going to be something other than a normal ipod update and other media related small news. Its almost always a bunch of the smaller announcements bunched together in one event.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Can you elaborate on this please? I never knew this was possible.

They're referring to the option of downloading a ringtone from iTunes for 99¢. When you do so, an audio waveform of the entire song appears in the iTunes window. You select 30 seconds of the song that you want to make into a ringtone. Done.

CharBroiled20s

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2009
Can you elaborate on this please? I never knew this was possible.

It's really really really easy.

Pick a song, Right-click and select "get info"
Select the "Options" tab.

set your beginning and end times to the part of the song you want for the ringtone (the total time from beginning to end for your ringtone can NOT exceed 30 seconds).

Then click OK and right click the song again. Select "Create AAC Version"

When that finishes, right click the newly created song and select "Show in Windows Explorer"

The song will be highlighted in the folder that pops up.

Rename it's extension from M4A to M4R

Now just add your newly created ringtone file into itunes and thats it... (you can just drag the file onto the itunes app and it'll be added for you)

Thats about it, sync your phone (make sure your phone is setup to sync Ringtones or it won't copy to the phone)

You set the ringtone on the phone under Settings>>>Sounds>>>Ringtone

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Hey, if it makes them money and people are too lazy to do it themselves (it literally takes less than a minute to make your own ringtones), so be it.

simsandwhich

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
Woah if they're making an event just for that.
Crawl out of your hole and notice the iPod hype that's been building up. Also notice the tagline for the media event.

Still think it's a media event dedicated to an unknown change in ringtones?

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
What's with all the whining? If this rumor is true, they would probably spend few minutes talking about it when they demo iTunes 9. Or do you really think that ringtones are going to be major part of the event?

EDIT:

AidenShaw: why do you always have to be such an ass?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Even though I have Mac OS X and Garage Band... you don't even need that... you could use like Audacity or something.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
An audio snippet up to 30 seconds long should not cost any more then $.40. Honestly.

I think the rationale goes that you're paying for a public performance license, since you're likely to have it within an earshot of people in public. Not that I agree with it, that rationale falls apart because some people play music when they have their windows open, convertible tops down, portable sound systems and so on.

Woah if they're making an event just for that.

Why invite all those people just for stupid ringtones? That would be lame. This is likely an iTunes/iPod event, where they show off new iPod updates and likely roll out some catalog additions of music from some old band. Ring tone announcements, if any, will probably be just a couple minutes out of a 90 minute presentation. Ring tones aren't that big of a market anymore, half a billion in the US a couple years ago and declining.

rjpv

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Singapore
I really don't care about this rumor.

I'd rather have custom SMS ringtones for my iPhone than this b.s. any day of the week.

BJ

I agree! The impossibility to customize the SMS/Email alert ringtones is just a big pile of B.S.

In the same way how you can customize the ringtone for incoming calls why can you don't do it for SMS? I mean, how difficult can it be to copy paste the code of changing the ringtone from call into the code for SMS? really?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I have a hard time believing this. I honestly don't think anything revolutionary is going to be done at the media event. I mean what else can they do to iPods and iTunes?

Don

Add a rapidly searchable tagging system, for starters.

TAPelicious.com

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
what for would we want pre-cut ringtones? it makes not really sense to me!
we can cut them as we want already!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.