Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_iphone_ios_8-250x285.jpg
Following up on the public beta program used for OS X Yosemite that allowed non-developers to try out and offer feedback on the operating system before its release, Apple will be launching similar programs for iOS 8.3 next month and iOS 9 later this year, reports 9to5Mac.
...Apple intends to release the upcoming iOS 8.3 as a public beta via the company's existing AppleSeed program in mid-March, according to the sources. This release will match the third iOS 8.3 beta for developers, which is planned for release the same week. Apple then expects to debut iOS 9 at its June Worldwide Developer Conference, with a public beta release during the summer, and final release in the fall.
iOS 8.2 is still in developer testing as Apple gears up for an April launch of the Apple Watch, but the company has also begun seeding iOS 8.3 to developers. The update includes a number of tweaks including support for wireless CarPlay, two-step verification on Google accounts, a new emoji picker, and Apple Pay through China UnionPay.

After a dramatic visual overhaul with iOS 7 in 2013 and a number of new features such as Continuity in iOS 8 last year, iOS 9 will reportedly focus on stability and optimization, although some new features are likely to be included.

Update 4:21 PM PT: Re/code has confirmed that Apple has plans to offer a public beta testing program for iOS 8.3 beginning in mid-March.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Public Beta Testing Programs for iOS 8.3 and iOS 9 [Updated]

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I must admit, I never thought they'd do this for iOS, but I'm glad to hear it!

I unfortunately don't have time to test unreliable beta software anymore (though I always enjoyed it), but it makes me excited to think about the bugs that will get ironed out before the official release. Especially the little ones like the menu bar sticking to the top of the photos app, or iPads getting suck in one orientation, or UI lag on new devices.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Seems alluring...

As I understood it, iOS9 was going to be all about stability and under the hood improvements. If that's true... why would I want the beta? Just fix all the little things and give it to me all shiny and new. :)

Besides, my jailbreak is sitting pretty. Though that may disappear if I decide to get a new time piece.

:D

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
And even if MacRumors designates forums for beta testers there will still be people who insist on posting in every thread that "it's a beta" and that somehow discussing bugs is "complaining." Can't wait.

The It-Already-Started Hall Of Fame:
That's not what people mean when they say others are "complaining." It's the people who come on the forums and rail about how unstable a "release" of iOS is, when they're running a developer build, or who incessantly complain about features not working on those same developer builds. The problem with that is two fold:

First, you should not be running developer builds on your daily driver, and even if you do you should take the inherent instability and glitches as part of the territory.

Second, as part of the developer program you agree to an NDA. You're not supposed to be disclosing details of the release in public forums, but should be discussing them in the Apple developer forums.

Yes, and sometime people do the other thing and dissagree with people who don't understand that when they test a beta software, they will be facing bugs which take time to be ironed, and if dealing with bugs frustrates and makes them sick, then they probably should quit testing and stick with the official public releases.

So yeah, sometimes people do that too and it's perfectly acceptable.
You just know people are gonna do this with their primary or only iPhone, have all kinds of bugs and apps not working, and then the Apple Store employees are gonna have to deal with it.

Last edited:

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I like the idea, but hopefully it's not as painful as installing the current beta for developers. Having to constantly restore the device is a pain.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
I always felt the first public release of each iOS was basically a public beta anyway. At least they're making it official now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a good move on Apple's part since so many people are getting the beta anyways. I'm one of the few people who avoid the IOS beta since I need my phone for work

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I've been enjoying the "public betas" of iOS 8 for some time ;)

(Wish my 64GB iPhone 6+ could hold anywhere near as many apps as my 64GB iPhone 5 without bootloops and Springboard crashing literally multiple times a minute. Gotta run lean until they fix that! I miss my game collection... .)

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I want in on this! How does one get picked as a beta tester?!

You need to write an email to Tim Cook and explain in 100 words or less why you should be picked. Make sure you don't use big words but spelling and grammar must be correct.

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Putting a beta on your on your primary or only iPhone or iPad sounds very dangerous. I often read on different forums, developers or should I say developers that have lent or sold ID to. That there is always problems with Beta and people complain publicly about how bad the software is. The program they use all the time no longer functions as it did before. So I cans see a lot of moaning in forums by people not understanding it is beta.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I wonder if this is really a good idea.
I'll think twice before jumping into this. I did it before for Mavericks and Yosemite, and It became messy with all the bugs it had, even the upgrade process didn't seem to clean all old files.
Finally, I had to reinstall from scratch to eliminate any leftover bugs.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
This made more sense with Yosemite as you can install that in a secondary partition. I've given up on running beta os's on my own device a long time ago. And developers already have access to this...

I guess I'd sign up so I can get the GM a week early....

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
If the goal is to make iOS 9 bug free and not add a lot of new features, this seems highly logical.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Aaaaaaaand commence all high schoolers installing iOS 9 on their phones when it's simply not ready yet. Then they all throw their iPhones off a bridge, say that they've "Gone Galaxy" and are "never going back to iPhone" and then, when iOS 9 comes out, everyone is too scared to upgrade and then adoption is slow and Apple is doomed and then oh wait they're making a car?

----------

But in all seriousness, I ain't about that beta life no mo. It's overrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.