Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ooooooh, now that I'd like to see! (I <3 the butthole sufers!)

I con testicle.

Hehehehe, that, and I want to see them use Sex on Wheelz by My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult. Speaking of which, I need to check and see if that song is on iTS... I can't believe I don't own it.

adambadam

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
The Circle(wiki definition)

URL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Circle

INFO:

The Circle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see The Circle (disambiguation).

The Circle is a peer-to-peer distributed file system written mainly in Python. It is based on the Chord distributed hash table (DHT).

It supports file sharing, instant messaging with buddy lists, the Internet relay chat model of sending a message to a channel, and a personalized, trust-based news service.

More unusually, it supports:

* finding and sending messages to people who aren't currently online;
* a proxy for the Debian Advanced Packaging Tool system; and
* a probabilistic mechanism for sharing common keys between nodes, something not present in all DHT implementations.

Its DHT implementation is vulnerable to denial of service attacks.

From The Circle homepage:

The Circle is a scalable decentralized peer to peer application.... There's no central authority running the show. Which means no entry taxes, no one booting you off the network, and (in theory) no weak point which can break the whole system. As long is there's one Circle peer running, anywhere in the world, there's still a network. Circle does not try to provide anonymity, which allows it to be much more scalable than gnutella.

The Circle currently runs on Linux, BSD, Windows, and Mac OS X.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Does anyone else think this was just a case of lost in translation (or 'Chinese Whisper' effect)?

How about 'The Circle' being a reference to a logo… Starbucks?!
(i.e. the new iTunes Wi-Fi store ~ Starbucks partnership for iPod touch / iPhone)

wiselou

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
The Circle and the Starbucks Logo

I think after the announcement by Apple of the new iTunes purchase program at select Starbucks stores, the Circle rumor was true. The rumor tied a WiFi announcement to Apple yesterday. The Circle must have been an Apple code name for the Starbucks project. Just look at the Starbucks logo and what do you have, a circle! :)

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I think after the announcement by Apple of the new iTunes purchase program at select Starbucks stores, the Circle rumor was true. The rumor tied a WiFi announcement to Apple yesterday. The Circle must have been an Apple code name for the Starbucks project. Just look at the Starbucks logo and what do you have, a circle! :)

wiselou, i definately agree with you (see my post a couple above).
TheMotif - i don't think this was a false rumour at all.

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
Hopefully its just a touch iPod with Wifi. Whatever it is (iPod, Circle iPhone Revision) it will be cool.

I have to say that after reading your post i have to say that your probably an apple spy, or at the very least, amazing at guessing ipods.

NiteWaves77

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Cupertino, CA
You guys are the lamest group of presumptuous, gossipy nerds I've ever seen in ANY Mac-themed forum. :D Thanks for reminding me why I've been loving the Mac and hating its users since 1988. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.