Apple to License Unspecified Intellectual Property From Rovi

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a filing made with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission today, Rovi announced that has reached a "multi-year agreement" with Apple for access to Rovi's intellectual property.
    Rovi, originally founded as Macrovision in the early 1980s, offers several technologies related to interactive television program guides and anti-piracy technologies. The company also maintains an extensive database of metadata on TV shows, music, and movies. No further information on Apple's interest in Rovi's technology has been revealed, and thus it is unknown what aspect of Rovi's business the deal covers.

Article Link: Apple to License Unspecified Intellectual Property From Rovi

2. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

3. Dainin macrumors regular

Can't rate this until we know exactly what technologies they have licensed.

4. AriX macrumors 6502

AriX

:O Rovi is the corporate descendent of the United Video Satellite Group (later TV Guide Inc., then Gemstar-TV Guide International), which was the parent company of the ever-amazing Prevue Channel!

5. mikeoc macrumors member

Not enough information as yet but would imagine that technology like this would be finding its way towards an Apple TV like device. Especially as they develop some pretty advanced EPG like technologies.

6. AriX macrumors 6502

AriX

Meh. They barely "develop" advanced EPG-like technologies. I believe all of the guide-related products they currently sell were acquired and have not been developed out all too much since then.

If you use Comcast on a Motorola-based headend, you'll recognize the TV Guide Interactive software Comcast uses as i-Guide/iGuide on Rovi's website (probably unrelated sidenote: Apple owns some sort of trademark for iGuide)

7. Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    That's interesting. Maybe they want to turn your Apple TV into a TiVo. Anyway, Apple TV certainly does lack anything even resembling a program guide. Of course, from Apple I'd certainly hope for something much more robust than the Prevue Channel. (Or even TiVo, for that matter.)

I'd be a lot more encouraged if Apple was buying technology from, say, Boxee, or someone who could really innovate in the TV space. Some of what needs to happen is pretty obvious - YouTube properly adapted for a TV environment, for example, has never really been done. I can get YouTube vids blown up to TV size, but that's not the same as making it 'feel' like TV. And that's the kind of thing Apple does so well, except of course they don't seem very committed to their TV product.

If they'd gone after YV they way they went after cell phones, they'd have cracked the code by now. And Microsoft would be coming out with 'Apple TV killers'.

8. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Probably this is not really a technology buy; more like these guys own a fundamental patent in some area Apple is working on.

9. davebarnes macrumors member

davebarnes

I despise Macrovision

I have some sort of Macrovision crap (courtesy of Adobe) on my Mac.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

The Prevue Channel/Prevue Guide is indeed awesome! It used to be one of my favorite channels on cable TV. I remember, when I was younger, I would sometimes just watch it for long periods at a time (when nothing else was on). It was a fun channel to watch. I miss the old Prevue Channel. Ah the 90's.....

When you really think about it, the guide channels are truly the only indispensable channels on cable or satellite. We would be lost without them! Especially since the ol' Cable Guide and TV Guide have become pretty much useless.

It will be interesting to see if Apple has some sort of guide channel in store. However, what would be the point? Everything is on-demad.

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

I think you mean Macromedia.

12. davebarnes macrumors member

davebarnes

No, I meant /Library/Application Support/Macrovision which was changed as recently as March of this year.

13. AriX macrumors 6502

AriX

:) If you are truly a Prevue Channel fanboy (yes, I'm a nut), you may want to check out my forums at http://ariweinstein.com/prevue/ and wiki at http://prevueguide.com/... I recently was able to obtain some of the software that ran these channels (one for Amiga and one for Atari 8-bit) and we've been reverse engineering and emulating them over there for a little while.

http://ariweinstein.com/prevue/Prevue_Front.jpg :D

14. skeep5 macrumors 6502a

skeep5

15. markgo2k macrumors member

I wouldn't assume that this is definitely leading towards program guide info for inclusion into some future AppleTV. It could be as simple as improving metadata support (e.g. program descriptions) for content already available for purchase or rental.

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares