MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple says that starting at a future date, it will offer members of the Apple Developer Program access to beta versions of AirPods Pro firmware updates before they're released and shipped to the public.

AirPods-Pro-Beta-Firmware.jpg

Apple made the announcement for developers on the downloads page where beta versions of iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS are available. According to Apple, AirPods Pro firmware betas will allow for the development of certain features on iOS and macOS and will enable features such as Conversation Boost and Ambient Noise Reduction.
Pre-release AirPods Pro firmware for Apple Developer Program members will be available at a future date. This will allow development of features on iOS and macOS for AirPods as well as enable new features, including Conversation Boost (beam forming) and Ambient Noise Reduction (noise suppressor).
Currently, Apple occasionally releases firmware updates for AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max, although there's no reliable way to manually update the devices. Instead, they're updated automatically when connected to power and nearby a paired iPhone or iPad with an internet connection.

It remains unclear how Apple will provide beta versions for AirPods Pro firmware. Presumably, Apple will provide a profile for developers to download that automatically installs and updates the AirPods Pro when there's a new update.

Article Link: Apple to Offer Beta Versions of AirPods Pro Firmware for Developers

Last edited:

cmatuk

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I had my Pros replaced a while ago because of rattlegate; I received ones with an older firmware and I was running an iOS 14 beta at the time; It was the spatial audio update....

I asked them how could I update them and they told me to pair them to a device not running the Beta since that was not supported, I did and they updated instantly.

Maybe they'll just let Betas push updates now.

Comment

cmatuk

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I am not on a beta device, iOS 14.6 in all its glory! 😉

PS I wish they could just make it user-controllable, adding an “Update” button or something.
Oh, ok ok... a manual switch would be awesome but I guess they think it removes some of the "magic" of you don't have to think about it... I also think not a lot of people outside the tech community knows about an update the second they announce it... Who knows really?

Comment

cmatuk

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Oh, ok ok... a manual switch would be awesome but I guess they think it removes some of the "magic" of you don't have to think about it... I also think not a lot of people outside the tech community knows about an update the second they announce it... Who knows really?
Also, just a hunch but; if you have two sets of AP, have you tried removing one pair and see if they other one picks up the update

Comment

mistabrad

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Irving, TX
I would settle for the things working properly. Random disconnects for no reason, or switching devices for no reason without telling me. Or "best" of all, when taking one out temporarily while connected to my iPad, switching the connection to my phone and randomly playing something from my music library...which I don't even use anymore. These things USED to work well, but whether it's due to the firmware updates or the iOS/iPadOS updates in the last year...they are a mess now.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Ron
Comment

mxrider88

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I would settle for the things working properly. Random disconnects for no reason, or switching devices for no reason without telling me. Or "best" of all, when taking one out temporarily while connected to my iPad, switching the connection to my phone and randomly playing something from my music library...which I don't even use anymore. These things USED to work well, but whether it's due to the firmware updates or the iOS/iPadOS updates in the last year...they are a mess now.
Thank god someone says things how they are.. I’m with you.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Interesting. Is this the “new” Apple? I wonder how Apple is going to ensure the firmware isn’t distributed.

more over I’m sure I understand 5he need for developers to have access to firmware vs an audible API for sound output and variable nicr changes for input For example: iOS phone and most voip apps can determine if I’m using an iPhones microphone or watch or iPad. if I switch to airpods Pro the microphone focus will auto switch. But in Duolingo it can never switch to using the headset microphone which is extremely annoying!!

Comment

otetzone

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
If only! My AP2 are still stuck on 3A283 hardware, whereas 3E751 was released in late April. Tried all the usual stuff > and nope. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Interesting. My AP2 had no problem updating to 3E751 from iPhone on iOS 12.4.1. However, my APP wouldn't update no matter what I do. I literally had them days connected and plugged next to my iPhone. Nada. Stuck with 3A283. Wtf?!

Comment

one more

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Interesting. My AP2 had no problem updating to 3E751 from iPhone on iOS 12.4.1. However, my APP wouldn't update no matter what I do. I literally had them days connected and plugged next to my iPhone. Nada. Stuck with 3A283. Wtf?!

Yes, randomness in action. 😋

Comment

RexEchelon

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2021
Pre-release AirPods Pro firmware for Apple Developer Program members will be available at a future date. This will allow development of features on iOS and macOS for AirPods as well as enable new features, including Conversation Boost (beam forming) and Ambient Noise Reduction (noise suppressor).

Feels no one see what was said. Theses features I'm curious about. "Conversation Boost and Ambient Noise Reduction" Does this mean now that people can hear me talking while I'm on a walk when there cars driving by or winds or noisy people in the background.?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.