Apple to Offer Presentation on ARKit at This Year's Game Developers Conference

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will be hosting a session at this year's Game Developers Conference for the first time, offering an introduction to ARKit, its augmented reality platform for developers.

The session will be presented by Michael Kuhn, who leads Apple's ARKit engineering team.

[​IMG]

Entitled "Introduction to Apple's ARKit: Best practices and recent updates," the talk will cover core concepts of the ARKit framework and the ARKit API. It's designed to teach game developers how to get started with ARKit, and it will cover ARKit best practices.
    Apple has not previously offered developer sessions at GDC, but this is the first GDC since the launch of ARKit and Apple is likely hoping to get more game developers interested in implementing augmented reality features.

ARKit was introduced as part of iOS 11 back in September of 2017, and since then, developers have incorporated augmented reality features into more than 2,000 apps. Major improvements are coming to ARKit with the launch of iOS 11.3 and ARKit 1.5, which may come out right around when GDC takes place and will likely be a topic of discussion.

[​IMG]

ARKit 1.5 can map irregularly shaped surfaces for better detection of ambient surroundings, it can recognize and map vertical surfaces like walls and doors, and it includes an image detection feature that works on everything from movie posters to bar codes.

The 2018 Game Developers Conference will kick off on March 19 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and it will last until March 23.

Article Link: Apple to Offer Presentation on ARKit at This Year's Game Developers Conference

2. AppleInLVX macrumors 65816

AppleInLVX

It bugs me that dinosaur isn't using the same sun as the players. Hm.

3. timborama macrumors 6502a

timborama

Apple “Offers” presentation... how benevolent of them.

4. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Who still remembers FXGuru ... for Android(!). And it’s back! Rebadged as “New”. Yes!

5. RealKrS macrumors regular

Back when I first saw Apple demonstrating ARKIT, I thought that by now, I'd be having so much fun with AR on my iPhone... :apple:

6. Tech198 macrumors G5

The idea of a dinosaur on the playground is hardly a fair game.

7. Horselover Fat macrumors regular

One of the rare occasions I see the words Apple and Games in one article. And it probably doesn't mean anything this time either.

8. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Look at that horrible black notch space on the left.

9. Villarrealadrian macrumors member

hahahahaha its in a parallel universe where there are two suns and emoji rule the world!

10. Markoth macrumors 6502

Markoth

Seriously, how did nobody notice that before they released that image.

11. pankajdoharey, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

pankajdoharey macrumors 6502

pankajdoharey

Very nice Apple has to up its game among Game Devs. They have a very capable Gaming Console in AppleTV with power far superior to Nintendo Switch or Sony PS3 but they are unable to sell it as a capable game console to either users or devs, which feeds the loopback cycle of lack of good AAA game content. It burns my heart looking at Nintendo Switch being an inferior hardware making it and a superior hardware like Apple's A'series chips not able to succeed in the gaming market.

12. anthogag macrumors regular

They could somehow combine a FaceTime call with ARKit. Hold up the phone and see the person sitting on a bench talking to you.

I read NY Police are switching to iPhones. Are they using ARKit in some special way?

13. pete2106 Suspended

pete2106

I can't wait to see what Apple turn to next once they realise that AR doesn't really have any particular use outside fun tech demos.

14. wbeasley macrumors 6502

wbeasley

Anyone bugged at the amount of bezel on the bezel-less X design?

"Funny" how all the official artwork has lovely reflections that reduce the width of it and even make the 6/7/8 look like they have huge bezels. Spotted this the other day in a shop with phones sitting next to each other. Suddenly the X didn't look to have as much screen real estate as I expected. And like bryan28c, LOOK at that NOTCH!!! Hideous. Seriously. Edge to edge on width and top and bottom bezel would have looked cleaner with 16:9 ratio instead of yet another new ratio.

I was digging through my pile of old tech and found a Samsung Note 1. Screen ratio 16:10 and when you fire it up, PDF documents fit much better, turn it sideways and web pages look better.

We have sacrificed screen usability for narrower, hand friendlier widths. In hindsight, not sure that was the correct decision for any phone supplier. Remember when 4" iPhones were 4:3 ratio and it felt right? Even Samsung basically admitted this ratio works better when their tablets moved away from 16:9 and Microsoft Surface tablets are 3:2 aren't they? Lets hope this elongation phone trend stops before we end up with remote control-like phones...

15. Lill-Q macrumors member

Lill-Q

You can't equate processing power with hardware, that's a very narrow view. The Apple TV isn't a portable console that comes with two built-in controllers which you can play on the go. Also, the PS3 is a 12 year old product, beating its hardware specs doesn't impress anyone, consumers nor developers.

16. pankajdoharey, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

pankajdoharey

* Processing power is hardware, how else do you equate processing power? Texel filling ratio of A8 GPU is way higher than both Nintendo Switch and PS3's onboard GPU. Beating PS3 hardware specs prove the point that AppleTV can serve better as a micro console replacement in terms of hardware specs compared to a Nintendo Switch and thus qualifies for a better alternate to serve the needs of a AAA content maker than a Nintendo Switch. As far as those controllers on Switch are concerned, they are cramped i dont like them, the controls are way off for playing serious games. Compared to that you can always buy a set of controllers to use with AppleTV, yes way better controllers.

17. Lill-Q macrumors member

Lill-Q

You're missing the point, you can't look at just processing power, and GPU as you now mentioned, there is so much more to the hardware of a console than that. Again, the Apple TV doesn't come with a game controller, it isn't potable, you can't play it with a friend on the go, and then dock it into your TV set when you get home. These are all the main features of the Nintendo Switch, not its processing power, although it's pretty good for a _portable_ device. The Switch would never have succeeded as a stationary game console with these same specs, just look at the Wii U.

18. pankajdoharey, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

pankajdoharey

OK explain what am i missing here, how much more is there to a console than CPU/GPU and a controller. The controller on Switch is nowhere near a good controller, you can buy a good controller and pair it easily with an AppleTV. On the Go gaming can be easily done on your iphone. Plus mobile gaming is a totally different market, i am trying to discuss a "good" Micro console here. Nintendo Switch is neither. The biggest reason for its success is not mobility but availability of good games even many AAA titles. Look at Wii U gamepad. It had portability but the games are no good. Wii U failed for teh same reason, lack of good games, and what can serve good(AAA) games better if not good hardware?

Another example of this is the success of NES Classic launch. NES has great number of good games, even some of Nintendo's own IP is superb on NES. The NES Classic relaunch succeeded piggy backing on the old time gamers Nostalgia about NES Classic and availability of good games. NES Classic isnt _portable_ per se but small enough to carry in your bag to your friends place. along with regular size NES controllers.

19. Lill-Q macrumors member

Lill-Q

I agree that good games is the no.1 reason for the success of a console, but you can't say that because Apple TV has better CPU/GPU than the Switch it is a more capable console. Again, it doesn't even come with a game controller. If you want to compete on the stationary console market, first make something that rivals the best in that field, PS4 Pro/Xbox One X.