Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OsloBergen

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
That's good news and seems to answer, at least, one of the questions many people have had.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yes, it is very good news. Definitely moves me to buy the the aTV.

But...will it search my local content? I have seen people answer no to this because of a lack of metadata. But if it's in my iTunes library, wouldn't it make sense that a search function would look at that as well?

Reactions: acuriouslad

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Yes, it is very good news. Definitely moves me to buy the the aTV.

But...will it search my local content? I have seen people answer no to this because of a lack of metadata. But if it's in my iTunes library, wouldn't it make sense that a search function would look at that as well?

Searching local iTunes content might not be as good as people think it might be. Apple TV would have to wake the Mac/PC and whatever external (if being used) drive the files are on. This probably will be slow

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Searching local iTunes content might not be as good as people think it might be. Apple TV would have to wake the Mac/PC and whatever external (if being used) drive the files are on. This probably will be slow
I must be missing something. Right now the aTV displays all of the information from locally stored movies, music and videos under "Computers". It gathers that info from iTunes (server). Why couldn't the search engine just search for whatever data is stored under "Computer" and display that info along with any search results found under HBO or Netflix or...whatever? The only time iTunes or the HDD would have to wake up, is if you actually wanted to play the content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.