Apple to Offer Unlimited Music Plan?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Financial Times reports that Apple is currently in discussions with music companies to allow customers to have unlimited access to the entire iTunes music library in exchange for paying a premium for its iPod and iPhone devices. (presumably for the lifetime of the device)

The plan sounds similar to Universal's Total Music plan in which the cost of music is embedded into the music player itself. Based on the wording of this article, it seems Apple's version of the plan adds the cost on top of the iPod or iPhone.

The negotiations are currently being held up due to disagreements in pricing. Apple is reportedly only offering $20 per device, while Nokia is playing almost $80/handset for a similar plan. Other possibilities appear to include a subscription based service for iPhone users ($7-8/month, for example) with the capability to keep up to 40-50 tracks/year even after the subscription lapses.

Historically, the Financial Times has been a reliable source of information with early details of Apple's plans to introduce iTunes Movie rentals well ahead of its release,

Article Link

2. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Huh, sounds kinda interesting. Hope that it will work out!

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In other words, a unlimited subscription based music service for a one time fee?

I don't see that working out.

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I think access to the entire iTunes Store library of music is in exchange for the premium that Apple charges on the iPod and iPhone devices. Not a subscription based plan.

I for one welcome this idea.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I love the option to be able to keep some of the music after the subscription ends. Count me in for this!

6. iPoodOverZune macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

well. that should shut up some who always keep asking for music rentals -all you can eat plans - as well.
    would blanket cover the whole consumer base, perhaps.

7. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I don't see this working out sounds interesting.

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

When would it be considered too soon to get in line to purchase a new ipod with the unlimited music plan? Tonight? This weekend?

9. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I really don't get this?

If I'm reading right, you pay a monthly/yearly/onetime fee, and you have unlimited music downloads?

Can someone explain, Please?

10. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

I really only see this working as a subscription - a normal subscription $9.99/mo for all the songs you can fill your iPod with.

The hardest part would be splitting the revenue with the labels - you'd have to apportion the $10/mo based on what exactly?

11. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

When you purchase an iPod, you are paying a premium to Apple. From the article, I believe that the idea is when you buy an iPod, you have access to the entire iTunes Store library.

12. cthomet macrumors regular

how would they keep you from just keeping the music downloaded during the subscription time or whatever?

13. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I have to think that the labels will put the kibosh on this; they seem to be doing everything they can to slow Apple's lead as a music & video retailer, aside from jerking all content from them completely.

14. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Whaaaaat? Oh please, who wouldn't pay an extra $20 to have unlimited music that they get to keep? No way, no how. The record companies would NEVER agree to that.

15. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

But wouldn't apple loose money? How are they going to get money from iTunes?

Sorry for being kinda noob-ish =D

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think Apple are working on the theory its tied to the device...so its not on your Mac as such, and its gone when the device is superseded...

17. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I can't really see a one time fee happening, unless it is upwards of 1000$ dollars. Maybe a subscription but I think that Apple should stick with song by song pay, it has worked flawlessly for all these years.

18. christopher3071 macrumors regular

I'd sign up!

As a consumer I would definitely be willing to pay more for a device if I knew I was getting unlimited access to the worlds largest (in terms of individual songs for sale, correct me if I'm wrong) music seller. I would even be willing to pay $9.99/month for this. And the ability to keep the songs would be a nice plus.. Maybe they will settle on terms and this could happen by June?! I love experimenting and listening to new groups which is why I use pandora.com but I'd love to take some songs I find from Pandora and take them on the road with me. How cool would it be to be using your iPhone at wifi hotspot and just think, man this calls for a song, and just download it right there on the spot without paying and having the entire high quality song pumping into your ears within seconds, this sounds like a great idea that I'd be willing to pay a premium for. Music = Life (For this computer geek anyway)

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't know about this. i mean, it could be good i guess, but i don't think i want to take part in it.

20. christopher3071 macrumors regular

This would make more sense for the record labels. Otherwise no one would keep paying and they'd just keep downloading more songs. But what's to stop customers from using the songs on iTunes after the iPod breaks or is lost.. Perhaps its an iPhone/iPod touch only kinda deal?

21. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

does unlimited access mean unlimited downloads or unlimited streaming?

22. Frisco macrumors 68020

23. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Presumably the lifetime iTunes would be tied to the lifetime of the iPod. The most similar thing I can think of like this would be when Sirius offered lifetime on their radios for about $500. Now, if Sirius offered it for $500, for streaming satellite service, how could Apple POSSIBLY offer unlimited downloads that you can pick and choose, for the life of your iPod, for a measly 20 bucks. Come on, I'm not buying it. I mean, I would it if were for sale, but you know what I mean ;)

24. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

The second option sounds like it could be a winner.
    I like the idea of paying a monthly fee to be able to hunt and test new music but as you go you build up credits to pick track that are then yours.
    Sounds like a prefect gift for a young relative starting to become interested in music.

Still it does it is a subscription model that just like CD encourage the production of a whole lot of filler. Where the current iTunes model encourages every track to be worthy.

Hey why don't bands do a real subscription system, you pay us a fixed fee each week/month/year we deliver a new track each week/month could be live, studio demo, b-side, rarity, even a good interview anything they feel like.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Streaming. ...Access is really an inaccurate term in my opinion; we already have access to the iTunes Store, we just don't get to hear or download the songs for free.