Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Open First Apple Stores in India Within 18 Months

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the Indian government's approval of Apple's request to open retail stores in the country, Apple is planning to launch three stores in India over the course of the next 18 months.

Apple will open Apple-branded retail stores in Delhi, Bangalore, and Mumbai before the end of 2017, according to a source that spoke to Indian website FactorDaily.

A team of more than 40 Apple executives and employees is said to be searching for ideal real estate locations for the three stores, each of which will span more than 10,000 square feet and will be located at "high street locations." Apple is planning on investing $3-5 million per store.

At the current time, Apple has no retail stores in India and instead sells its products through third-party distributors in the country. India has decided to exempt Apple from a policy that requires foreign stores to source at least 30 percent of their goods from domestic suppliers, opening the door for the first retail stores.

While Apple will be able to open Apple Stores in India, a second request to import refurbished iPhones, which it could sell at lower price points, was recently denied. India, like China, is seen as a largely untapped market for Apple, and the company is eager to gain a stronger foothold in the country.

In addition to retail stores, Apple is planning to open a $25 million technology development site in Hyderabad, India, which will house more than 125 employees and focus on maps development. Apple is also said to be planning to unveil a startup accelerator in India, designed to incubate ideas for new iOS apps.

Tim Cook is planning to visit India this week, where he is expected to announce the accelerator and perhaps the new retail stores.

Article Link: Apple to Open First Apple Stores in India Within 18 Months

macintoshmac

macrumors 601
May 13, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me like a proofreader is urgently required. Or someone needs to check the caffeine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.40.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.40.28 PM.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 138
Comment

cicalinarrot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
This means people working in Apple call centers may actually get to see an iPhone?

Comment

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Honestly, I don't want to sound racist or anything, but how exactly are they expecting any kind of customers from a country like India? I understand China, it is a country with a lot of potential in terms of development, but India has no chance whatsoever, because of how late it is in technology. Besides, there are many other countries which would need an Apple Store more, and many others which have some but only a few of them, so I don't understand this decision other than a "One billion people in a country means lots of customers" logic.

You do realize that even in the poorest nations, there will be rich people? There are millions of people who could afford iPhone range prices for their phones even as there are hundreds of millions more who have to do with lower priced phones. And there is the development potential. You said that you "understand China," but do you? Up until recent decades, India was probably more industrialized than China, with what the British left behind in the colonial era. Just because India looks rather behind at the moment doesn't mean that it will be the case some years from now. Also, there is the fact that people in developing nations tend to buy more expensive phones (relative to their income), since in some people's cases it's the only affordable (compared to houses/cars) luxury they can afford.

Comment

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
Considering the large population in India, it'd be a bit naive to think that all of them live in the ghetto and can't afford an iPhone or MacBook. I understand that they may not be the most prosperous country, but come on now... It's not like they're introducing the product to India for the first time. They're just selling it to them directly without having a third party retailer cutting in on the profits.

Comment

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Honestly, I don't want to sound racist or anything, but how exactly are they expecting any kind of customers from a country like India? I understand China, it is a country with a lot of potential in terms of development, but India has no chance whatsoever, because of how late it is in technology. Besides, there are many other countries which would need an Apple Store more, and many others which have some but only a few of them, so I don't understand this decision other than a "One billion people in a country means lots of customers" logic.

I don't think you are racist, just ill informed. Do a quick web search as a start.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
How to get an Apple store in India.
1. Build $25 million tech center in India
2. Get Foxconn to build $10 billion iPhone plant in India
3. Get exemption from 30% 'Make in India' directive. {looks at 1 & 2. Looks at word exemption}
4. Profit

The exemption seems to be more marketing than substance.

Last edited:
Comment

vooke

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2014
You are no racist, calling you racist is insulting all racists. You are hopelessly ignorant. It is quite possible that each of the top 20% richest Indians make more than all your family will ever make in two consecutive eternities. That's what Apple is targeting. And trust me they are a sizeable number

Comment

cursedearth

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011

I'm not sure what sort of picture you've painted in your head about India, but in a country with a population of a billion plus individuals, the ratio of people who can afford Apple products can be compared to that of developed nations. This is very crude example to give you but given your generalisation, you'd probably understand what I'm trying to say here- India has the 3rd largest number of billionaires in the world .

Comment

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada

The same country where Apple sales grew 56% YoY - even as Samsung's market share fell from 66% in Q1 2015 to 41% in Q1 2016. All this when Apple has no official presence in India, no retail stores, no service centres, no Apple Care, and Apple products are sold at much much higher rates by resellers.

Comment

acegreen

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015

Oh boy you are about to get flamed for this. So you are saying that not even 10-20% of the 1Billion indian people can afford even an iPhone SE? Thats about 100-200 million which is more than one-third of the US market and bigger than a lot of markets Apple is currently in.

Also investment isn't about today, its about foreseeing 6 months to 10 years from now. India has as an unrivalled youth demographic, with FIFTY PERCENT (50%) under the age of TWENT-FIVE (25), and SIXTY-FIVE PERCENT (65%) under the age of THIRTY-FIVE (35)? Do you have any idea how big of an opportunity that is? At the same time, the middle class in both India and China is growing exponentially.

On the other hand, the current EU is in dire state, with an aging population, and the US is not that much better of. Not to mention, the US & EU markets are both saturated as can be seen by the first-ever drop in iPhone sales YOY.

The opportunity lies in the future, not the present!

Comment

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
You do sound racist, but I'm sure you're ignorant. My home state has only 4.5 million and we have 2 Apple Stores. Most of the people I know are not even fan of Apple products. With that population in India there should be atleast over 100K that are filthy rich, and over 1 million considered rich in their country or above or equal to American middle class. And I'm overly conservative with my numbers.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot
Comment

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
I'm not sure what sort of picture you've painted in your head about India, but in a country with a population of a billion plus individuals, the ratio of people who can afford Apple products can be compared to that of developed nations. This is very crude example to give you but given your generalisation, you'd probably understand what I'm trying to say here- India has the 3rd largest number of billionaires in the world .

I may have seen one of them in Vegas at the roulette table this weekend. He was betting hundred dollar chips like I bet 1's and 5's. He hit on a single number with $400, netting him a cool $14K in a couple of minutes. The crazy part is, he didn't even get that excited... barely cracked a smile.

Comment

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I lived in India for a few years and have family there and in the last couple of years I have seen a huge explosion in the number of people using iPhones. Most simply buy them in the US or have family bring them from Dubai, Australia, UK or Canada.

Some here seem surprised that Apple would target such an impoverished nation as India and of course everyone condemns them as ignorant. But I can see both sides - most people in India live in extreme poverty. Huge numbers don't even have access to clean water. Western governments, especially Britain, give taxpayer money to India. There is something shocking about luxury goods being sold there.

But in Bombay - the home for most of my family and friends - there are people with serious money. And because labour is so cheap they have lifestyles that none but the wealthiest westerners could ever have with servants and drivers etc. A very average flat in the part of Bombay I know well will cost easily $1500 to rent per month. You will frequently find one family owns a few buildings with dozens of those flats. Their living costs are then very low. They have money to burn frankly. Their chauffeur driven brand new Jaguar will drive them everywhere and they won't have anything much to do with Indian society, before taking business class flights to see the family who settled abroad. What I describe is only a tiny proportions of India's population but the population is still big enough to mean that's a lot of people.

Trust me when I say there are many people in Bombay who could buy dozens of iPhones per month without it making a dent on their finances. It is shocking I think to many westerners that many Indians from the flash parts of Bombay would consider you quite poor and be surprised that you might have to worry about the price difference buying a 64 or 128 gb iPhone.

I am surprised the Indian government have allowed Apple to get around the normal rules though; one good thing about India is that its strength in numbers allows it to resist some of the negative aspects of globalisation. The food for example there remains wonderful and they have managed to restrict the damage done by terrible American brands to some degree compared to many Asian nations. McDonalds for example still don't sell beef burgers there - and hopefully never will.
[doublepost=1463437782][/doublepost]
You are no racist, calling you racist is insulting all racists. You are hopelessly ignorant. It is quite possible that each of the top 20% richest Indians make more than all your family will ever make in two consecutive eternities. That's what Apple is targeting. And trust me they are a sizeable number

Yes and no - you're right that he is missing the point about there being some very rich people in India, especially in Bombay, Gujurat and some parts of Delhi. However India has a very extreme gap between rich and poor. So I think the number you guess at 20% is more likely in single digits. Hundreds of millions of Indians don't even have access to clean water so in some ways I'm not shocked someone is surprised that Apple is going there. On the other hand yes there are some families who have huge wealth that puts them way beyond most westerners.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot
Comment

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
Thanks, added the missing word!

Keep up the great work Julie. Your a great writer and editor. I appreciate your articles. You and Rossignol are awesome!
[doublepost=1463442554][/doublepost]
Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me like a proofreader is urgently required. Or someone needs to check the caffeine.

Correct me if I'm wrong. No one is perfect. One mistake in a sentence doesn't imply a proof reader is needed or "Check the caffeine." This could have been addressed differently or more appropriately.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Shrink in Indian retail is redicilous. I have seen some retail shipments go into that country where over half of the items shipped were "lost" before they reached retail shelves. The hell Apple went through to get a distribtion chain in there is worthy of a Big Bang Theory show.

Comment

Kallistel

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
This means people working in Apple call centers may actually get to see an iPhone?

Mod, please delete. Not in the mood to get yelled at.
<NOOOOOOOO. SO worth inserting your full comment again>…

So I logged in just to post this comment, only because the comment I reconstructed above was so worthy of a reply even after 5 months.

If only you had done some research my dear @garriry and @cicalinarrot, you would not have been able to avoid this blemish in your forum history.

Apple shipped 800,000 iPhones to India in 2016 and that was considered a disappointment, as there were 30.7 million smartphone users in India. Companies like Samsung have in the past launched their flagships in India before USA.
http://fortune.com/2016/08/05/why-apple-needs-india/

Why do you think MacRumors even posted the article. They probably get decent web traffic from India.

And @garriry here you decided to dismiss a country of more than a billion? You are an explanation of why such high quality leaders like Trump and Boris Johnson exist, please pay more attention to your fellow(?) Canadian Prime Minister who is an oasis in the international leadership desert. You are definitely not racist, or ill-informed or an idiot. Please please use your brain in the future, specially when you vote, or just please move to Russia.

Comment

cicalinarrot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
So I logged in just to post this comment, only because the comment I reconstructed above was so worthy of a reply even after 5 months.

If only you had done some research my dear @garriry and @cicalinarrot, you would not have been able to avoid this blemish in your forum history.

Apple shipped 800,000 iPhones to India in 2016 and that was considered a disappointment, as there were 30.7 million smartphone users in India. Companies like Samsung have in the past launched their flagships in India before USA.
http://fortune.com/2016/08/05/why-apple-needs-india/

Why do you think MacRumors even posted the article. They probably get decent web traffic from India.

And @garriry here you decided to dismiss a country of more than a billion? You are an explanation of why such high quality leaders like Trump and Boris Johnson exist, please pay more attention to your fellow(?) Canadian Prime Minister who is an oasis in the international leadership desert. You are definitely not racist, or ill-informed or an idiot. Please please use your brain in the future, specially when you vote, or just please move to Russia.

Mine was a poorly humourous and slightly racist comment, I'm sorry if it offended anyone but I thought it was clear I was making fun of the cliché itself and not of indian people.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.