Apple to Open First Store in South Korea on December 30 [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2017.

1. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Where there are vocal loyalists, there will always be vocal rebels. Besides, Apple isn’t exactly struggling in South Korea. It’s market share has been around 30% for some years now.

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Didn't expect such a loud response to what I thought was an innocuous, tongue-in-cheek response that was meant to poke a little fun at Apple getting a little more aggressive on Samsung's home turf.

Of course they're going to do well, and that first store which will no doubt be followed by others in South Korea, will I'm sure, be welcomed by the many Apple product owners in the immediate vicinity who need advice, service, replacements, repairs, etc.

Perhaps I picked the wrong emojis..... Have a great day y'all. :)

3. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

You know nothing about Korea.

There's already a hugely successful chain of unofficial Apple stores in Korea called Frisbee. They look just like an Apple store and act just like the Apple stores in the US. Apple is just making their official entry into Korea.

[​IMG]

4. makr macrumors regular

Exactly.
    I'm sure Apple already did this calculations and decided to open a store there.

5. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity, how do Koreans perceive Samsung?

I ask because I am in the United States and I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 plus as my personal smartphone.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

where did you find such a valuation?

7. thl0103 macrumors member

You gotta look at it as how people in United States perceive Apple, some love it or hate it, but the thing is Samsung isn't just an electronics maker in Korea, they don't call Korea republic of Samsung for nothing, it's family owns and operates high end department stores, hotels, insurance, auto etc...

I live in San Jose and travel to Korea for work reasons and to see my family about three times a year and Samsung is definitely more "premium" than in US. They obviously have better and more product line ups than what we see in US.

But Apple does great, despite them only having apple online store and resellers to compete with Samsung and LG being in every corner f the street.

I feel my motherland's people are really status oreitend(especially in 'Gangnam') and this first store definitely found it's spot at one of the most expensive streets in Gangnam.

8. 960design macrumors 68030

Very nice. I used to live in Yongsan 2 ga-dong, just north of there.

9. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Most of the Apple resellers in Korea try to mimic the Apple Store feel, including Willy’s, KMUG, and Neptune.

10. Appurushido macrumors regular

Wait till Samsung builds a larger store to the left and the right of the Apple store haha. A "Sampple" sandwich lol.

11. tim_o_teus macrumors newbie

I can confirm first hand that the Apple Store on Garosu gil Road is NOT opening today (Dec 30). Work onsite is progressing - they have for example today removed the blue ”wall” from the front of the building - but one of the construction crew confirmed that the store is not yet opening, and he had no date to give (or he was not in position to tell... ). Shame, since I would have been happy to witness the launch.