Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has agreed to open a new 20,000-square-foot retail store in the heart of Knightsbridge, one of London's most luxurious shopping areas, according to local media.

knightsbridge-estate-london-800x370.jpg
Proposed development in Knightsbridge, London (Image via Chelsfield)

Citing property sources, The Evening Standard reports that Apple has signed a deal with Chelsfield, the property asset manager overseeing a makeover of The Knightsbridge Estate, to secure retail lettings between high-end department stores Harrods and Harvey Nichols.

The transformation of The Estate as a whole is expected to deliver a mix of new "world-class" retail accommodation, including six flagship stores, 66,000 square feet of Grade A offices, 35 rental apartments around an internal courtyard garden, and a rooftop restaurant.

The landmark development is currently surrounded by a public artwork installation called "The Knights of Knightsbridge" to conceal construction.

Apple has five retail locations in the English capital, including flagship stores Regent Street and Covent Garden, which reopened late last year following a three-month renovation.

(Thanks, Tobias!)

Article Link: Apple to Open Retail Store in London's Knightsbridge Estate

Last edited:

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Great news.
Finally an apple store in Knightsbridge.
Can't see the point of Apple stores (except as drop off points for repairs). Everything they sell is available online, delivered to your home. An Apple store in Knightsbridge is only going add further upwards pressure to Apple prices.

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Can't see the point of Apple stores (except as drop off points for repairs). Everything they sell is available online, delivered to your home. An Apple store in Knightsbridge is only going add further upwards pressure to Apple prices.

It’s a good thing that apple sees that point, hence the new apple store in knightsbridge.

Residents of Knightsbridge, Belgravia, Kensington and Chelsea would love to have an apple store in their neighborhood.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Yep. Like in Melbourne. Where I’m from :(

I’m not from Melbourne. But I’m familiar with the city, and I think pretty much anyone could see that the proposed store in Federation Square was completely inappropriate.

We all love Apple stores, but they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with things that nobody else would just because they’re Apple!

Reactions: -BigMac- and Stella

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK

Eh? Did you miss the whole 'Today at Apple' strategy in the past few years? They don't just sell stuff anymore. There needs to be more of them to help facilitate education.

Edit: And I'd add that this Knightsbridge store is sorely needed. Covent Garden and Regent Street just don't have the capacity to serve this city - they're always too busy. Yes, there are Stores in the suburbs too, but they're not always as convenient. I live about 6 miles from Brent Cross but don't have a car, not unusual in London in 2019, and Stratford City (just as busy as the central ones, tbh) takes just as long to get to as Covent Garden for me.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I’m not from Melbourne. But I’m familiar with the city, and I think pretty much anyone could see that the proposed store in Federation Square was completely inappropriate.

We all love Apple stores, but they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with things that nobody else would just because they’re Apple!
The Federation Square management, the Victorian Government and the Melbourne City Council were all in favor of the redevelopment of the Yarra building; I suppose they thought they could finally be rid of that horrible eyesore.

Only when the two dozen “our city, our square” group of locals protested did Heritage Victoria decide the 16-year old Yarra Building could not be torn down as it would result in an "unacceptable and irreversible detrimental impact on the cultural heritage significance of Federation Square”.

Federation Square management wanted to add more square footage to the existing retail shops and cafes, and said the Apple store would have resulted in an additional two million visitors a year. Some suspected that the protest was part of a larger effort to derail other redevelopment projects like the Metro Tunnel while others thought a business group from Sydney was behind the effort to gather signatures against demolishing the Yarra building. Who knows.

It isn’t unusual for Apple to have local opposition; US corporations aren’t always welcomed with open arms. Apple doesn’t want to go where they’re not wanted, and if the local officials abandon support like the Melbourne City Council did, they’ll pull out of the project. It was hardly a case of Apple being allowed “to get away with things that nobody else would just because they’re Apple!”

Johnnyhandsome

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017
Eh? Did you miss the whole 'Today at Apple' strategy in the past few years? They don't just sell stuff anymore. There needs to be more of them to help facilitate education.

Edit: And I'd add that this Knightsbridge store is sorely needed. Covent Garden and Regent Street just don't have the capacity to serve this city - they're always too busy. Yes, there are Stores in the suburbs too, but they're not always as convenient. I live about 6 miles from Brent Cross but don't have a car, not unusual in London in 2019, and Stratford City (just as busy as the central ones, tbh) takes just as long to get to as Covent Garden for me.
[doublepost=1555431877][/doublepost]Aahh, first world problems eh!

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
[doublepost=1555431877][/doublepost]Aahh, first world problems eh!

Welcome to the Forum with your utterly pointless comment that contributed nothing to the conversation. Everyone has problems - I'm not saying mine are more important those of malnourished third world children, but that doesn't make them any less valid. Whilst we're on first world problems, we should probably take the entire MacRumors forum offline, because it's 99.9% nothing but first world problems. You should feel lucky that you get to be a part of it.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It’s a good thing that apple sees that point, hence the new apple store in knightsbridge.

Residents of Knightsbridge, Belgravia, Kensington and Chelsea would love to have an apple store in their neighborhood.

Good God, yes. Imagine having to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi in Covent Garden. it doesn't bear thinking about. Thank you, Apple!

Reactions: kyjaotkb

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Good God, yes. Imagine having to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi in Covent Garden. it doesn't bear thinking about. Thank you, Apple!

What does rubbing shoulders in covent garden have to do with an apple store in Knightsbridge?

Jar Jar Abrams

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2018
Yep. Like in Melbourne. Where I’m from :(
None in New Zealand still
[doublepost=1562426190][/doublepost]
Welcome to the Forum with your utterly pointless comment that contributed nothing to the conversation. Everyone has problems - I'm not saying mine are more important those of malnourished third world children, but that doesn't make them any less valid. Whilst we're on first world problems, we should probably take the entire MacRumors forum offline, because it's 99.9% nothing but first world problems. You should feel lucky that you get to be a part of it.
You don’t need to welcome him, he’s been a member here longer than you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.