Apple to Push Video for iPod? And Produce its Own Content?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Smarthouse suggests that Apple may try to get into the content production business.

First, they claim that Apple is set to roll out a "massive marketing campaign" to push video iPods with the roll out of TV soaps and series to hook the customers on a recurring basis. According to "one insider", Apple has reportedly even looked into creating their own content but there have been concerns about production costs.

Smarthouse previously claimed that Apple would be launching a Mac Tablet with Docking station in 2007.

Article Link

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
I also believe that Apple will eventually become involved in Content creation but first they will simply become a one-stop-shop for direct distribution of independent content. No more dealing with the record/TV/Film companies but the artist directly.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Don't Think So ...

Sorry everyone, but I think it might be hard to push video iPods as the future when you lose 40% of your distribution by losing NBC. Unless NBC and Apple kisses and makes up, this isn't very likely. Just my 2c.

Purpleshorts

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2004
I can see it now...

Steve, in the back, giving the nod to this plaintive ballad, the thumbs-down to that romantic sitcom. Media for the rest of us. Funny thought.:)

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Applespace

Yes, and in keeping with the Apple aesthetic, and to save money on set production, all shows will be set in "Applespace."
That sounds cool at first, but I think after a couple half hour shows you'll get sick of all the characters floating in a featureless white void.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
maybe a little line in the term's and conditions of final cut studio - saying all your created content belongs to Apple Inc, and can be ripped off and sold via the iTunes Store.

Or Apple could invest in all of them amature film makers out there that use there software, say a competition

entrants enter there own work -

winners all get $1,000,000 and the help of a Apple set up studio to produce content for the iTunes Store.

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
maybe a little line in the term's and conditions of final cut studio - saying all your created content belongs to Apple Inc, and can be ripped off and sold via the iTunes Store.

Or Apple could invest in all of them amature film makers out there that use there software, say a competition

entrants enter there own work -

winners all get $1,000,000 and the help of a Apple set up studio to produce content for the iTunes Store.
Great idea! :rolleyes:

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
i can't wait to see "As the Apple Turns" and "Days of our Macs' Lives"

Also, soaps are the cheapest kind of shows to make so don't even say that the production costs are going to be high. I'm sure a multi-billion dollar company can afford cheap actors/actresses and stupid backgrounds and cheap special effects.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I think they just took that last JoT Coffee too literally: comic.

It's too much at once, I would think, for Apple to get into that. Sure, they're getting bigger and better and more varied in their product offerings. But they have to remain focused. Let's all not forget that Leopard is delayed. If the reason really was "lack of resources," would Apple want to branch out into yet another intensive market so soon?

-=|Mgkwho

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I think we are missing the lesson learned by Edison. When the phonograph and the motion picture were both invented, the media was all produced by edison as well. Needless to say it wasn't very good.

If they start letting small groups or individuals sell their content through itunes, there would be a more diversified level of content.

Basically become their own label, without all the control over the artist, just a cut.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Can dio this today

If they start letting small groups or individuals sell their content through itunes, there would be a more diversified level of content.
Anyone can do this now. Apple will host your own recording. They charge a fee for this service but but if you sell a few thousand copies you start to see some return. I forgot the fee but it's something affordable like $50 per year.

Some people don't care to make money, for example a school might host recorded lectures or it might be worth $50 for a band to get their material out to their local fans.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
In order to streamline television shows into a product matrix, only the following will be present in iTunes:

iSitcom
iReality
iNews
iCartoon

All other shows will be made obsolete.

:)

cocoma

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
Lame and getting old ($)

"but there have been concerns about production costs"...yeah! They should really be concerned about costs! $2 billion net income in 2006 and probably 3 this year when a content provider like viacom only makes half of that! Just face it, the more successful apple becomes, the greedier they get! Sad...they just know that providing content is being on the wrong side of the fence...

cocoma

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
Btw, wasn't there supposed to be a show about the apple store, the genius bar next to an A&F store in a mall or sth? That could have been funny :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.