Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yep, I am considering the MP as well but I think the MBP 16, maxed out and a XDR display is a solid workstation for me. The MP specked out for my needs will probably cost around $11k and adding the XDR with nano/stand I am getting close to $20k. The MBP +XDR will be $12k. Sounds better IMO.
Can you explain in more detail? I am wondering why a MP for your needs is $11K, given that your needs can apparently be met by a maxed out MBP?

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Yes, my thoughts as well. People have to think if Apple actually created a system at this price segment (disregard the base model), there has to be a market for it. Apple is driven by numbers and therefore their marketing team has the data to prove that there is a market for this and most who will buy are probably not on this forum (they are too busy with work to read these blogs). :). Yes, it will probably not sell in millions, but there is a "need" for this and gives options for those who do not want to piece together Windows boxes for this kind of power.

Personally, I am very happy that Apple decided to create a system that caters to higher end professionals that need power systems for productivity (work related) instead of looking for mass distribution or high sales. This will not be impressive for the annual report or the stockholder's meeting, but a good "thumbs" up to the higher end professionals.

I do video and audio work for my employment, but do not need this kind of power to do my work..but KNOW THAT THERE IS A DEMAND, especially with the newer technologies that are up-coming (3D, 6-8K+, virtual reality etc. etc.).

Believe it or not, Apple "may" sell more systems then most people on this forum would think and maybe more than the Mac Pro 2013 (even at the higher price). The price points for "both" the monitor and the system are NOT "that" unreachable or unreasonable for professionals needing this and who make the money to buy or can strategically show in their budget that it will pay for itself after a few jobs (if not on the first job). So...Why should Apple always have to cater to college iPhone students?

To see that Apple is providing tools for the "1%" shows something I thought was lost with Apple and therefore will have to reconsider the "Apple don't care about pros anymore" mentality and say, "Now" they do...again...

I do not fall in that 1%, but...I can appreciate the beauty and power of Apple's "Most Powerful" ever Computer...this is a true Mac Pro as it is suppose to be...!
It's eye candy for awhile...

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I feel like that display is going to be quickly outdated with better tech for much less and probably not that long from now, especially if the rumors of micro LED MacBooks and iPads come to pass.
High-density, affordable MicroLED display in a 32” size is probably 5-7 years out, if not longer.

Mini-LED is the tech that’s coming soon; that’s just an LCD with a different backlighting technology.

Reactions: Duane Martin

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I love debating things on here as much as the next person, but too many of the replies on this thread feel like:

‘I define myself as a prosumer. I should be able to buy Apple high-end products & I can’t afford the Mac Pro thorefore I’m going to complain about it’.

This a machine that’s made for high end professional use. If you don’t absolutely need this machine’s power to deliver your work but would quite like a powerful rig, it’s just not for you.
I don’t personally have an issue with the price but there are plenty of research groups and students at major graduate universities who do cutting edge science and engineering work that need a powerful machine for scientific computing work. Unlike commercial users they don’t have large budgets where they can justify buying such a computer.

Reactions: uller6

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I was going to get a Mac Pro $6000 unit it is worth every penny, when people talk about building their own computer they only look at the processor, or storage or memory. What is the real meat and potatoes is the bus speed and backplane speeds. And apple engineers the heck out of the underling structure. So you might get parts and slap in on a motherboard, the motherboard will never have the speed of the Mac Pro.

thats a fairytale mac fan boys tell themselves. apple didnt invent a new technology here. sure it is all very high quality but it is nonsense that the motherboard is way faster than a good pc motherboard. for sure all is well balanced, but that doesnt make an 8 core xeon w run at twice the speed ;)

Reactions: PC_tech

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
And I learned in 2019 people still think its just better and faster and greater because its from Apple.
Which people? Who has claimed that a Mac Pro is faster than something with equivalent components “because apple”?

Better is subjective. Better in what way, for what task?

if you do rendering a 32 core Threadripper is (yes, approximately) 4 times as fast as the entry level 8 core Xeon.

Well if it’s a cpu bound, highly parallel task that’s kind of to be expected then isn’t it?

I’m happy you found something that works for you.

I’m just going to assume that you understand most tasks in computing aren’t parallel that degree, and cpu core count alone is generally not an accurate measure of a machines “speed”, but you simply forgot to add “for the specific tasks I need to do” in your original post. ;)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
thats a fairytale mac fan boys tell themselves. apple didnt invent a new technology here. sure it is all very high quality but it is nonsense that the motherboard is way faster than a good pc motherboard. for sure all is well balanced, but that doesnt make an 8 core xeon w run at twice the speed ;)

The point of a good motherboard and bus design is not to make the CPU run faster.

Reactions: OkiRun and jlocker

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
The Mac Pro and the Power Mac have always been pricier for what you get than other Macs. I never even considered buying one new. I’ve had iBooks, iMacs and the Mac Mini. I bought a souped up used 2009 5,1 five years ago because the price to feature ratio was quite good. I’ll continue to use it for a few more years as long as long as it remains mechanically stable and Mojave (maybe Catalina) supports a version of Logic Pro X that works for me. Then I‘ll have to buy a new or used desktop Mac that fits my budget and make do.

Reactions: OkiRun

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
By the way, are there pc motherboards that support MPX modules and afterburner?

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Yeah exactly, lot of people think products are priced on how much they cost, but they're actually just priced on how much people will pay...

There is a bit of both. That is why Apple (and many manufacturers) use blended profit margins on their products. They probably make less on the entry level configuration then they do on the high end machine.

The R&D to build this machine is the same, no matter which one is purchased. Apple has to decide how much to allocate from that for each machine.

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
the very wealthy and professionals who would buy this equipment though their businesses.

Yes? That's literally the target market.

I own a 2000 dollar bike trainer and a 3000 dollar bike (plus who knows how much else on misc gear). That's way more than what the average joe will spend on a bike, most people will be happy with a 400 dollar trek and honestly it'll likely suit most people's needs.

But there's going to be upper end in any market and people who will be fine paying for it because either A, they have too much money to blow or B, they are the high end person who will actually benifit from it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It was stupid for Apple to announce the price of the display and stand separately. Announce it as one price and then at time of purchase allow people to just purchase the display at a cheaper price if they so choose.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Even for a hobbyist, if you can’t spend $100 a month on your hobby—get a new job or a new hobby.

I've got a better idea - I'll get a PC with the exact specs that I need rather than the specs that Tim Cook thinks he can force me to pay for, and save $50 a month to spend on other things. MacOS is nicer than Windows, but it is not 1984 anymore and these days Windows is just as capable if you're not scared of a bit of change.

The 8-core cylinder is $4k; what did you think a full-blown tower—with a 1400W power supply, 12 DIMM slots capable of 1.5TB and 8 PCIe slots, with quiet, efficient cooling—was going to cost. $3k? In what world does that make any sense?

If you only want to spend $3-5k on a machine, you wouldn't want or need enough DIMM slots, PCIe slots and Watts to put $30k worth of expansion in - but that's what the $6k MP is forcing you to buy. No you can't build a PC with the exact specs of the Mac Pro for $6k, but you can build a PC with comparable processing power and enough expansion for maybe a dual GPU, plus a decent amount of fast SSD for a lot less - especially if an AMD processor or even an i9 fits your needs. Sure, its gonna lose to the Mac Pro at Top Trumps when someone calls out "PSU Capacity" or "Number of Thunderbolt 3 ports" but if that's your criterion for buying a computer, you're holing it wrong.

NB: The 10 core iMac Pro is $5800, has 1TB SSD and a better GPU than the $6k Mac Pro and comes with a 5k screen, the equivalent of which will cost you $1300. Going by the Mac Pro benchmarks on Apple's site, the 28 core MP only beats the iMP in proportion to the number of cores, so a 10 core iMP with Vega is going to smoke the Mac Pro. So you don't even have to look beyond Apple to make the MP look silly - $2000+ extra for a slower machine with the privilege of being able to choose your own GPU and displays, or maybe add some extra internal storage. Maybe you do have to look outside Apple to understand that, in the real world, plain old full-sized towers are cheaper than ultra-compact all-in-ones full of custom parts and rocket-science cooling systems.

These complaints remind me of the bitching when Apple released the awesome Mac mini refresh last year.

Yes, the cheapest config went from $500 to $800. But the specs were upgraded from a dual core 15W CPU to a 65W quad-core desktop, the 4GB RAM became 8GB, the HDD (the “spinning rust” that all the “mini fans” bitched about) was replaced with a PCIe SSD

Lets translate that into "outside the bubble" language:

The expensive 15W mobile-class i5 CPU got replaced with a cheaper series desktop-class i3 CPU (look on ark.intel.com - the 8th Gen U- and Y- series low power i5s that would be the modern drop-in for the 2014 Mini are over twice the price - even the 2 core ones - of the i2-8100B). The bare minimum of RAM for 2014 got upgraded to the bare minimum of RAM for 2018 (probably about the same price) - which is a problem because the system RAM has to double as VRAM and the rise of 4k means that VRAM usage has quadrupled since 2014. The 500GB HD has been replaced with 128GB of PCIe SSD - which, in 2019, costs about $80 retail, pretty much in the same ballpark as 500GB of 2.5" spinning rust cost in 2014.

So, sorry, but that just about leaves the extra pair of TB3 ports to account for the markup. To repeat the point from above: outside of the reality distortion field, mobile/ultra-compact kit COSTS LESS THAN DESKTOP KIT. Congratulations - Apple are selling you a cheaper computer for more money. Cha-ching!

Not saying that a Mac Mini with a desktop CPU is a bad thing (although a Mac Mini with the feeble iGPU that is all Intel offers in desktop form is a problem) but $800 for an i-freaking-3 and 128GB of SSD is a joke.

Unless, of course, you don't expect price/performance of computer hardware to improve over the course of 4 years and are somehow impressed with the fact that the new Mini beats the 4-year old model (which was criticised as underpowered at the time).

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
By the way, are there pc motherboards that support MPX modules and afterburner?
Why would PC have Apple proprietary tech? Moreover it's just some piece of hardware one can add via PCI Express. There are tons of those in PC world. Intel FPGA AccelerationHub is just one example (and they have three different options). Apple ecosystem has always been and remains extremely limited with options.

Reactions: PC_tech

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Augmented Reality (AR)
Virtual Reality (VR)
Mixed Reality
iOS and MacOS Developers
Mobile Game Development
Data Scientists & Researchers
Visualization
Modeling & Simulation
Desktop Publishers ( Magazines / Newspapers / Books )
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Machine Learning
User Experience (UX)
Universities
Design ( 3D / Concept / Prototyping )
3D Printing
Audio Engineer
Digital Content Creation

The list goes on and on...
Fair enough just curious if I should buy one for my 6 year old.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Am looking forward to benchmarks comparing the $6K 8 core base model to a similar core old cheese grater. Bet the performance difference won't be that much

Well, given that the old machine came with one 5400 RPM spinning drive and 6GB of RAM, I would be shocked if that were the case. However, the real question is the delta between the entry level and the fully loaded machine for both generations. This machine has so much headroom that one can upgrade it for a while.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Apple plans to release the new Mac Pro and the Pro Display XDR on Tuesday, December 10, according to "Save the Date" emails that Apple began sending out to some customers this afternoon.

macprodec10.jpg

Apple in November confirmed that the Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR would come in December, but until now, the company had not provided a specific date. Apple's emails say orders will begin on December 10, so presumably shipments will begin soon after orders open up.

The new modular Mac Pro was first introduced in June at the WorldWide developers Conference, with the machine aimed at Apple's pro user base.

The Mac Pro was designed with a heavy focus on upgradeability and expansion, and it features a traditional PC shape with an Apple-esque stainless steel frame with a lattice pattern that maximizes airflow.

Internal specs include workstation-class Xeon processors with up to 28 cores, up to 1.5TB of high-performance memory, up to two Radeon Pro II Duo GPUs, and eight PCIe expansion slots, along with an Apple Afterburner accelerator card.

Pricing on the Mac Pro will start at $6,000, and will go up based on configuration. The base Mac Pro features an 8-core Xeon W chip.

Apple plans to sell the Mac Pro alongside the Pro Display XDR, a 6K display with a resolution of 6016 x 3384 and more than 20 million pixels. Pricing on the Pro Display XDR starts at $5,000, with an add-on stand priced at $999.

(Thanks, Ryan!)

Article Link: Apple to Release Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR on December 10
OMG gonna buy TWO lotto tix.

Reactions: xnu

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Well if it’s a cpu bound, highly parallel task that’s kind of to be expected then isn’t it?

I’m happy you found something that works for you.

I’m just going to assume that you understand most tasks in computing aren’t parallel that degree, and cpu core count alone is generally not an accurate measure of a machines “speed”, but you simply forgot to add “for the specific tasks I need to do” in your original post. ;)

Well parallel performance is what I buy a multi-core workstation for.
But I know that there are many usage cases for mac pros. (surfing, office decoration, etc)

Reactions: dantroline

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Too bad the refreshed W-series didn't make it to the Mac Pro launch. The 2200 8-core is faster than the base model Mac Pro and costs only $667. Apple has made a big mistake pricing this higher than the trashcan.

Reactions: xnu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.