Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Release Q4 2009 Financial Results on October 19th

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today issued a media alert announcing details for the October 19th release of its financial results for the fourth fiscal quarter (third calendar quarter) of 2009. The results will cover sales from June 27th, 2009 through September 26th, 2009, and will be released after the close of trading on Monday at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern / 1:30 PM Pacific. Apple's conference call discussing the results will follow at 2:00 PM Pacific and will be available via a live audio webcast. MacRumors will provide running coverage of the conference call highlights.

Apple did not have any major Mac product releases during the quarter, with the company having updated its notebook line at its Worldwide Developers Conference just prior to the quarter and users still awaiting much-rumored updates to the iMac and Mac mini. The iPhone 3GS launched alongside a price drop on the iPhone 3G just a week before the quarter began, and should offer significant contributions to Apple's revenue during the quarter. Finally, Apple updated its entire iPod line late in the quarter, likely spurring demand for that segment of Apple's business.

For the quarter, analysts are predicting net earnings of $1.42 per share on revenue of $9.19 billion, above Apple's guidance of $1.18-$1.23 profit on $8.7-$8.9 billion of revenue. Apple's year-ago results for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2008 included net earnings of $1.26 per share on revenue of $7.9 billion. A number of research firms and analysts are seeing evidence of strong Mac and iPhone sales based on recent data, suggesting that Apple may yet again have another strong financial quarter.

Recent changes to accounting standards may have an effect on Apple's guidance for this quarter if the company elects to adjust its reporting for the new fiscal year. Apple has in recent years offered two sets of financial numbers in order to provide a more accurate picture of the company's cash flow in light of accounting regulations that previously required Apple to defer revenue for iPhone and Apple TV sales, parceling out such revenue over a two-year period from the date of sale. As a result, Apple's official financial numbers have been significantly lower than its true performance. The recent accounting rule change will allow Apple to officially recognize a much greater percentage of hardware revenue for those devices at the moment of sale.

Article Link: Apple to Release Q4 2009 Financial Results on October 19th

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
Not right away - 2-3% drop, then a series of analyst upgrades, then $200 by November 1.

...as APPLE marketshare quickly LEAPS past 10% >>>

While he tries to nervously be polite in interviews-he knows better than to announce again that
"The iPod/iPhone are DOA"
He may have said the word APPLE but was thinking Zoon (sic) and Bling! (sic)

He has probably been getting the same emails I get from various stock sites of "Which IT stocks will rule in the coming post-Microsoft world?"

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Profits got to be better than Nokia's.

I am sure record profits are in the books again.

Comment

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Isn't it weird for the financial call to be on a Monday? I think they're usually Wednesdays.

Which makes me wonder if they plan announcements for Tuesday 10/20. I don't think anyone wants the call cluttered with questions on new upgrades.

Another possibility, less likely I think, is the call might contain some bad news thus the interest in changing the subject the next morning.

Comment

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I expect these numbers to be pretty good - iPhone sales have been strong and the new iPods will have boosted things. Also, Macs continue to experience growth although at a reduced rate.

Comment

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
I sold my Apple shares a few weeks ago. Made a killing.

It's going to tank soon.

If by "it" you mean the entire equities market, I agree. But AAPL will keep its head above the surface of the rest of them, at least as long as they keep on their current course.

Comment

Stavros.P

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
London
it will be good guys!REALLY good! We've recently reached 8.9% of global market on computers. In the States we have an amazing 81% on laptops! iPhone has been selling ridiculously well! I was trying to get my hands on for 3 weeks in London and i could not find it anywhere! Even the online store was out of stock! Although i got a sexy 32gb Blakc 3GS!! there should be some really great figures!!:apple:

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
...as APPLE marketshare quickly LEAPS past 10% >>>

Leaps? First, I doubt Apple will be at or above 10% by this announcement...it's consistently been BELOW 10% for what, a few decades now?...and the past 8+ years Apple has changed gears into a Consumer Electronics Company and no longer a computer company.

I would love to see Apple someday get around 15% or 25% of the personal computer space...but I doubt that will be here for a long time. My personal feeling is that Apple should drop their iMac prices to be more affordable as well as offer another (not the Mini) desktop model that doesn't force me to buy a monitor and sell it for around $700. iMacs under $1000 and build-your-own-desktops for around $700 will finally attract "the rest of us" who currently feel Apple is overpriced for what "the rest of us" can afford and what we NEED a computer to do. Apple already has, with current prices, the maximum amount of clueless people and/or Apple loyalists that will plunk down 2x the the money for a "computer" that will do the same basics (web surfing, Facebook, photos, music playing, video playing, games, personal finance, MS Office, email, iTunes, iPod, iPhone) as a PC for 1/2 the price. But let's not start that thread. What I'm saying is that Apple is running out of people to spend the premium dollar if all they want is a basic or average computer for average needs...or if they've loved Apple since 1995.

Currently I think Apple is around 8% marketshare depending on what space (laptops, desktops, or overall?). Even if it went from 8 to 10% or 9 to 10%...I would hardly call that a leap. It's progress, and statistically it's a 10-ish percentage gain...and I'm sure Apple will hold an internal party to celebrate the double-digit wall is finally gone. :) After 25 years.

Come on Apple...gimme a cheaper iMac (WITH performance gains from last years' model) and I'll buy one before Christmas. $999 and I'm in.

-Eric

Comment

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
RE: Apple Earnings.

Earnings should be good as the Apple 3G-S started selling at the beginning of the quarter and they are increasing their market share. I am more concerned about guidance as unemployment keeps on increasing. With that said, I'm not too worried..

With regards to the guy that mentioned Cramer in his post. Cramer is an entertainer and a douche bag. Please never place trades due to any advice he provides. He's just a part of the trap.

I myself am hoping it jumps $5-10 after earnings.. Oh, and thank God earnings don't come out today as today is options expiration day. That could cause major volatility and lead to some pretty negative tax consequences if positions got called away :)

Comment

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Isn't it weird for the financial call to be on a Monday? I think they're usually Wednesdays.

If they are releasing the results on a monday then Apple is counting on the Stock news to speak about the stellar results all week along. As an investor the Monday release of results date is GREAT news!

Comment

ytorch

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2009
If the conference call is Monday, I agree this implies great news that Apple wants for a run-up for the rest of the week.

Momentum trading here and valuing the company on the basis of quarterly EPS makes no sense. Even if there is a dip, I'm hanging on. And if there is a fast rise, I'm not selling off, either.

Mainly cause I'm hanging on because Apple is a great marketer, not just a hardware producer. They will conquer China in the next two years. Just wait till Chinese developers start writing for the app store!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.