Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Don't do it. The race to the bottom helped put the PC industry in the sad state it is today. I hope they don't start sacrificing standards for the sake of short term sales.
Right, because $699 is bargain basement, impulse purchase price....:rolleyes:

If it has the footprint of the old 11 incher (RIP) or even the later 12 inches then I will buy one instantly as a secondary light travel device...

Would be sad if it is the same size / weight as the current 13" model but with large bezels.

memba when jobs said apple doesnt know how to make cheap laptop?
i memba

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Reactions: Contact_Feanor

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Since both news and rumours are reported on this site, could rumours be identified somehow in the title of the article?

It’s a small thing, I know, but it would be nice to know - at a glance - if what I’m reading is news/fact or a rumour.

• Wow
Reactions: Sir_Macs_A_Lot

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Look up the pricing of “low cost” Chromebook. Do you really think Apple is going to compete with that kind of pricing?

Else, if pinched-budget school is weighing 3-5 Chromebooks vs. 1 “low cost” MB, which do you think will get the order? There’s always a LOT of students to equip. Extrapolate 3-5 to 1 to 300 or 3,000 students and the dollar differences really show.

Want to sell more MBs? Get much more competitive on RAM & SSD. I was literally credit card in hand ready to buy that beautiful, new 15” Air but wanted more than minimum specs. Add some RAM, add some SSD and it’s suddenly at MBpro pricing.

Meanwhile, I also wanted a true PC for old fashioned Bootcamp and was able to buy a fairly loaded gaming PC with 10TB of fast SSD and 32GB of RAM for LESS than Apple charges for only the 8TB SSD upgrade in Macs. One can buy an 8TB stick of fast m.2 at retail for about 1/3rd of that upgrade price right now. Too bad we’re all proprietaried out of even an option of installing it.

Desirable configs are too expensive… by pricing the sole supply of RAM & SSD at many times market rates. That’s great for shareholders if everyone just pays up… but it gave this near-Apple-everything consumer a full stop on buying a spectacular new MB.

Maybe it’s time to find a better balance between maximizing shareholder ROI and maximizing consumer value? As is IMO, it feels like it’s 10 for shareholders and 1 for consumers. Yes, pursuit of profit is crucial in every business, but it’s important to not lose sight of the source of those profits. Accumulated goodwill and halo effect has its limits.

“Let them eat cake?” 💰💰💰
Yep.
I also think Apple's been taking the piss on their 'upgrade' pricing even more of late. I'm sure someone somewhere aside from Wayback has tracked Apple pricing and upgrade costs throughout the years, but the memory and storage bump pricing is just getting to insanity, starting price of 'ok, already more than a quality mgr Intel system' but you quickly wind up into much higher #s.

Dell XPS bump in memory from 16GB (base) to 32GB is like $100, going from 512GB storage to 1TB or 2 TB is ~$100 per bump up in size.

It does look like Lenovo is trying to follow suit with Apple, as on Thinkpad Carbon going from 32GB RAM to 64GB is $450 and going from 256GB SSD (!! Really, Lenovo?) to 2TB will set you back ~$750.

Profiteering at work. Inflation and supply chain goes up 20%, let's increases costs by 50% while claiming 'we've done the best we can on pricing in this situation.' Meh.

Last edited:

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
If they put an M1 into it and it has a 12" screen for that price (or even slightly higher), taketh me money!

I actually miss the days of the 11.6" netbooks. Yeah, I know, tablets have pretty much taken over the space. But there are times I want something small and light to travel with that also has decent computing power.

I'm guessing this is probably a baseless rumor. But still, one can dream...
Yeah, you're not alone there. Netbooks had a nice niche going for a while, especially for anyone not on MacOS.
I had a couple running Linux at one point, and they were decent for travel and the like.

Now I'll take my iPad Pro, but it's always a question of 'can I REALLY get away with iPad(OS) for everything I might want to do?' - works well for 'real' vacations when I manage to completely disconnect, but on the chances of needing to do any work, I've got to slip the MBP into my bag as well.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
"more likely than ever" to make it to market because of a rapid fall in iPad and MacBook sales.
I think they’ve more than likely nailed all the contacts Kuo has access to and are taking them down bit by bit. :)

Because this and the watch thing makes no sense. Due to the rapid fall in the one thing (iPad) that has historically had unit sales twice of the other thing (Mac), they’re going to focus on… the OTHER thing(Mac)? Rather than the thing that already outsells the Mac?

Reactions: wegster

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
yep, and a device with that chip without any keyboard, display, or a camera costs 600 bucks
Yeah the same as any other PC. Also, note that since Jobs said that, $500 then is now $685 with inflation. And for that you won’t get a piece of junk.

Any name

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2023
future macbooks will come with maciOS preinstalled. The simplicity of iOS, the power of a macbook keyboard. Paving the way for the 2025 macbook iPro, with "maciOS California".

Or are we supposign that Apple will give a full fledged macOS, with multiuser support and a Terminal, to the plebs?

• Haha
Reactions: nvmls

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I don't see how even $700 would convince school districts to adopt MacBooks. Those devices take a beating.
Anyone that says anything about “school districts” either are from a well heeled school district flush with cash OR hasn’t looked into the realities of school administration in awhile. :) The big money for those laptop rollouts are in the administration, maintenance, and upkeep of the devices. Google offers a deal that far better than Apple EVER could. They charge some insignificant amount per Chromebook for Google to remotely run admin for those systems (and the terabytes of data they transfer every day offering value that’s likely far greater than what the district paid for the hardware.

If Apple wanted to get into the data brokerage business, then there might be some money in it for them. Otherwise, education mostly goes to the cheapest, and Apple hasn’t been that in a LOOONG time.

2009 mac user

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2022
Would love to see the revival of a 12" MacBook. Although I still think it makes more sense for Apple to reuse the older MacBook Air design, update the internals from time to time and rebrand it the MacBook SE with a $799 price tag or so.
I think you are spot on here, this really sounds like the strategy apple has used in its other product lineups as of late. They will most likely reuse M1 MacBook air design with a newer internals if you ask me.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
The moment this Macbook comes out Windows PCs are finished, because here's the thing: This thing is gonna go on sale a lot so a lot of times you'll find it under $700. At that point there will be no reason to buy a Windows laptop anymore

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Still too expensive for the low-cost market, basic laptops (Chromebook or one that runs Windows S) are available in the $200-300 range and they handle basic computing/education/productivity stuff just fine.

Apple's idea of a low-end model will always be too pricy for what it offers - lowering the price of accessories (and making more versatile ones) for an entry-level iPad would make that possible as an alternative, but iPadOS is the culprit Apple isn't willing to fix.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Most people won’t consider $700 to be “low cost” for a basic small-screen laptop, in particular if that’s just for the Apple-typical base configuration, and when a sub-$300 Chromebook will serve much of the same purpose in practice. That’s not to say that it won’t sell, but probably not to the typical Chromebook user.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyr6 and D_J

D_J

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2021
If they put an M1 into it and it has a 12" screen for that price (or even slightly higher), taketh me money!

I actually miss the days of the 11.6" netbooks. Yeah, I know, tablets have pretty much taken over the space. But there are times I want something small and light to travel with that also has decent computing power.

I'm guessing this is probably a baseless rumor. But still, one can dream...

The netbooks were a great idea, they were cheap and small enough you could stash them anywhere (Had one in my glovebox). Problem is they were so underpowered (Atom processors) and slow that they quickly turned into e-waste...

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
For $699 you will probably get something like a 256 GB SSD without the option to upgrade it on your own. So you will either have to attach an external SSD all of the time or pay a lot of money to get 1 or 2 TB.
Sounds familiar, you already cannot upgrade the SSD on your own even on a $3k+ MBP, and get gouged to go up to 1 or 2 TB like it's covered in diamonds.

Reactions: TMax

strukt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Norway
Steve Jobs has been dead for over a decade. It's time to move on.
Time to make **** products? Okay.

Ok, this was a small joke and maybe now Apple actually can make a low cost Mac since their software is so good and optimized because of the ARM CPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.