Apple to Sell Subscriptions to Streaming Services Through its TV App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is planning to offer subscriptions to select streaming TV and video services through its dedicated TV app that's available on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, reports Bloomberg.

The TV app already aggregates television and movie content from a range of different providers into one easy-to-access place, so offering subscriptions is a natural evolution of Apple's efforts to simplify and improve the television watching experience.

[​IMG]

Right now, while you can access content from hundreds of apps and cable providers, many require a premium subscription that must be obtained directly from the provider. Services like HBO, Showtime, Starz, Netflix, and more, for example, all require subscriptions, which must be purchased from within a third-party app or website.

Apple is going to offer the TV app subscription options as an alternative to requiring customers to subscribe to various video services from multiple apps and content providers. It will streamline content acquisition for customers, but it will also bolster the company's rapidly growing services business.

Apple is said to be planning to introduce the new subscription feature "in the next year."

There's no word on how Apple's own original programming efforts will factor in to the subscription service. Apple has more than a dozen television shows in the works, and at the current time, it's still unclear whether Apple is building a dedicated service for the content or if it will debut on iTunes or Apple Music.

Article Link: Apple to Sell Subscriptions to Streaming Services Through its TV App

2. IGI2 macrumors 6502

IGI2

Apple alone can't hold that.

With Apple Music, it was a different thing. They have similar or bigger catalogue than Spotify.

With TV... well, if it won't support Netflix's, HBO's, Amazon's, tv series and movies, it won't be a mainstream service as Apple Music (if you can say that about Apple Music).

3. NexusUser macrumors member

NexusUser

Sounds like another way for Apple to tax the revenue of their App developers, I doubt Hulu or Amazon is going to be ok with giving 30% of their subscription fee to Apple

4. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

It seems like everybody want you to "subscribe" to their stuff, nowadays. Subscribe to TV, movies, music, recipes, cooking ingredients, food, blogs, books, audiobooks, delivery services, software, etc., etc. Subscription services will bankrupt us all.

5. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

6. cliffster82 macrumors regular

If this turns in to an a la carte cable type subscription system, I'd pay per channel if the price is right.

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Can someone explain why Apple deserves 30% or 15% of a monthly fee I pay to Netflix or Hulu? Apple doesn’t host the content or do any marketing on behalf of these companies. And if they could offer their own payment system in-app they would. If the argument is without Apple’s platform these companies/services wouldn’t exist then why isn’t Apple taking a cut of every Uber or Lyft ride?

8. torob macrumors newbie

Remember the old rumors about a physical Apple TV?

9. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

I agree with you but I think more than anything, you have choices which subscriptions you wanna pay for. Unlike cable TV, you're stuck with 500 channels with only 20 channels or less you actually watch and then get charged an arm and a liver, now that will bankrupt us all. Cable TV's monopoly for years is dying and they can't do anything about it. I'd be interested in what they have planned to bolster my watching experience.

10. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

DirecTV Now would be a good match for this. A la carte TV or at least much more granular control over what you pay for is the future.

Some people may not want EPSN, others might not want Nickelodeon. Why pay if you don't use whichever one it is?

11. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

There’s not even a TV app in my country...

12. wayoutwest5505 macrumors member

wayoutwest5505

Just cut the cord to Direct TV. Don't miss it after withdrawal of a week or so. I have so much time on my hands. Shocked that I'm still able to read. Utah

13. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

I knew this was coming. Apple News already does this. I’m just waiting for their own streaming TV package.

14. zubikov macrumors member

This is like Apple bringing a stock Civic to a race that Comcast, AT&T, Sling & others have been racing with race-modified Supras for a few years already.

Apple had more than FIVE YEARS to get TV right. That same TV app just hung in there, useless, featureless for ages. Everyone hates the ATV TV app, no one uses it for any reason. Each attempt at watching a TV show would ask you to re-sign in and to download the app from each content provider. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse design. And this is how their new take on the TV model? Which executive is responsible for this?

15. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Yes very well!

16. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

Would love to see them bring the TV app to the MacOS!

17. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I'm increasingly grateful that my parents imposed a limit of one magazine subscription per year to spend our lawnmowing/snowshoveling money on, as kids. There were several useful lessons in that, which I didn't fully appreciate at the time, but do now more and more as an adult.

Netflix is the one subscription service I spend $ on. It used to be Dropbox. If Netflix doesn't figure out how to put a decent Sci-Fi adventure series out in the next couple years, I think it will be a season pass to the ballet, or local theatre company. The quantity is lower, but the quality of a live stage performance positively spanks digital media in every way. You should see the resolution of the graphics in a stage production. It's so clear it's like actually being there.

18. RudySnow macrumors regular

RudySnow

From, like, five years ago or longer? Yeah... what’s your point?

19. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Do you mean an Apple Television?

Those rumors have been around for about 15 years. I don't think it will happen any time soon.

20. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

They can't do anything huh? How about implement a cap on your internet connection (where they have a monopoly through most of the US) and then increase prices to boot.

21. Duncan-UK macrumors regular

I must say how much I dislike the TV App. I've bought a season 1-8 set of Curb Your Enthusiasm. When I go to the TV app it suggests I carry on watching Curb, and so offers me the next episode - but at £2.49 from the iTunes Store...

It seems to totally disregard my extensive library of iTunes purchases and only offer me opportunities to buy additional copies of content that I already own.

Not to mention the dire way that it classifies content. Want to watch Doctor Who - then episode one is followed by about 15 other episode ones...

Before the App it was easy - the series were correctly presented in order, with the episodes in order therein.

And don't get me started on the voice control when compared to the Alexa remote on the Firestick...

22. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

It will make us more interactive with our video choices. I save a lot of money by using Amazon Subscription Channels. Turn on HBO, watch all the content I want, move onto the next Subscriptions Channel. I get more then 5 channels for $10 a month consistently, just not always at the same time. Translates to $40 minimum a month savings. The downside, I may not be the first on the block to see all the offerings. Easier to manage the on off with one login and management App. No hassles thus, I will do it.

The new world, no more set it and forget it for two years. I find this approach more then meets my needs with a nice bonus, savings.

23. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

Not long before they put together their owns packages.

24. Little dude macrumors newbie

Little dude

I use the ATV TV app quite a bit. Just used it now to watch Deadwood on Amazon Prime. No sign in or download needed, and it even took me to the exact place I was watching before. Just sayin'.

25. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

And most importantly, US only! Well, probably US only if history shows us anything. ☹️