Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Start Reopening Stores in Japan This Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to start reopening its retail stores in Japan this week after having been closed for months because of the global health crisis.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman notes that Apple's website says stores in Fukuoka and Nagoya Sakae will reopen on May 27. Reopening dates for the country's eight other Apple stores have not yet been posted.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has lifted the country's nationwide state of emergency, ending restrictions in the remaining areas where the order was still in effect, one week ahead of schedule.

Apple has reopened stores in Australia, Germany, Austria, South Korea, Switzerland and some stores in Italy, the U.S., and Canada.

The company is taking safety measures as it gradually re-opens stores across the globe. These include temperature checks conducted at the door, limited occupancy, and a renewed emphasis on one-to-one service. As an alternative to entering some physical stores, customers can also expect to see curb-side pickup and drop off options.

Article Link: Apple to Start Reopening Stores in Japan This Week

Last edited:

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
I’m worried that limited store access will prevent me from being forced to peek over someones shoulder to briefly see something I want to buy.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jpn and David G.
Comment

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
The fact that Japan beat this without significant lockdown or testing shows that having a healthy population is extremely important. Hopefully the coronavirus pandemic is used as evidence to make Americans healthier, but I'm sure its prevalence will instead be attributed to government strategy for political reasons.

• Disagree
Reactions: konqerror and R88D
Comment

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The fact that Japan beat this without significant lockdown or testing shows that having a healthy population is extremely important. Hopefully the coronavirus pandemic is used as evidence to make Americans healthier, but I'm sure its prevalence will instead be attributed to government strategy for political reasons.

Have you actually seen Japan underneath the tourist facade? This worked by being an island nation that is closed to outsiders. 98% of the country is ethnically Japanese. Japan and South Korea are basically the least open countries to foreigners and immigrants in the world.

What happened when a cruise ship showed up with COVID? They locked them all in, then forced them all out of the country, transmission be damned.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBlue1
Comment

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Have you actually seen Japan underneath the tourist facade? This worked by being an island nation that is closed to outsiders. 98% of the country is ethnically Japanese. Japan and South Korea are basically the least open countries to foreigners and immigrants in the world.

What happened when a cruise ship showed up with COVID? They locked them all in, then forced them all out of the country, transmission be damned.

That is all beside the point. Those are reasons to believe Japan could prevent spread of the virus by foreigners. Fact of the matter is COVID-19 entered the population and they have stopped the outbreak, or at the very least this wave of it.

There are studies saying that 7% of non-COVID patients in Japanese hospitals had COVID-19 antibodies (mentioned here: https://time.com/5842139/japan-beat-coronavirus-testing-lockdowns/ ) . Based on that, I believe it is highly unlikely that Japan had some extreme level of social distancing that prevented spread within its population (especially when the level of lockdown is smaller when compared to many western nations). To me a much more reasonable explanation is that there was simply a much higher rate of asymptomatic/mild cases because of the population being healthier by several metrics when compared to the US.

Comment

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
To me a much more reasonable explanation is that there was simply a much higher rate of asymptomatic/mild cases because of the population being healthier by several metrics when compared to the US.

Italy and Spain are healthier than the US on a number of key metrics, like life expectancy and obesity. Italy just trails Japan on life expectancy. Ask them how well that worked out. In fact, you've created a huge risk factor: more old people.

Easy to cherry-pick feelings without looking at real numbers.

Comment

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Italy and Spain are healthier than the US on a number of key metrics, like life expectancy and obesity. Italy just trails Japan on life expectancy. Ask them how well that worked out. In fact, you've created a huge risk factor: more old people.

Easy to cherry-pick feelings without looking at real numbers.

You have not addressed how Japan fared so well despite the virus entering the population (nor the antibody tests). I'd say you're being reductive. Life expectancy is not a be-all, end-all health metric. Many people live a long time in poor physical condition. Also I'm not sure what "real numbers" you're talking about. Italy's obesity rate (19.9%) is still about 5 times that of Japan (4.30 according to Wikipedia), and Spain's is higher than Italy's. If post-pandemic research shows that weight is a big lethality factor for COVID-19, the difference in obesity rates between these countries is still significant enough to partly explain the difference in deaths between the two nations.

I would bet that you could find evidence that Japan's elderly population is healthier than Italy's in general (possible factors are pollution levels, the Italian diet being relatively unhealthy). I'll leave this as a guess since I don't feel like putting much more effort into this argument, but at the end of the day there has to be some explanation for why Japan fared so well even though the virus had entered the population.

Comment

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I would bet that you could find evidence that Japan's elderly population is healthier than Italy's in general (possible factors are pollution levels, the Italian diet being relatively unhealthy).

Wrong. The most dense cities with high levels of pollution have the world's longest life expectancy, particularly Hong Kong and Singapore.

It's largely Asian genetics, something you can't control, not the healthcare system. China has a crap healthcare system and huge levels of pollution, yet their WHO health-adjusted life expectancy (which takes into account your sickness argument) exceeds that of the US.

Japan is number one on the same list, and Italy is number 7. France and Canada are tied, yet France had 2.5x the COVID deaths per capita.

My argument is simple: it's not their healthcare system, but social structure and geography. And unless you can somehow make near-impenetrable borders you're not matching it. Just look at Australia and New Zealand (4 deaths/million), Iceland (29 deaths/mil), South Korea (5/mil), Iceland (29/mil). Similarly, look at how Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico did in the US.

Last edited:
Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 604
Oct 6, 2017
I’ve been to Japan many times and have experienced the culture. It‘s unlike anything you’ve experienced and must be seen to believe. It’s an amazing, beautiful and interesting place.

Clean, healthy, and most importantly, quite reserved unless with family/friends.

The elephant in the room is a lack of free flowing disucssion of issues (namely arguing). People do what they are told and what is most inline with socially accepted trends. Very little if any individualism (besides some teens) and very little question of authority.

That all said, I don’t think the numbers from Japan are super reliable or even comparable because of their closed culture and unwillingness to share information outside.

Comment

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, living in Tokyo I can confirm that. Most restrooms just have cold water...
ah. you must be well versed in the one hand finger tip dip before walking out one second later. i see it every day lol (osaka)

Reactions: Zorori
Comment

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Great news! Hope to see stores open in Cali within the next few weeks. APPLE leading the world back!

Comment

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
One factor in Italy and Spain is that the whole family lives close together. In Italy they are all in the same house or in the same street, the grandparents taking care of the kids after school, often cooking together and meeting in the evening or at the weekend. And if you don't go to your family after work you go meet your friends and colleagues all evening long. Great for a virus to spread.

Next thing is that northern Italy is pretty wealthy so people travel a lot, for vacation, on weekends, business trips. Viruses love to travel.

And finally Italy has a centralistic medical system, in which everything is concentrated on a few big hospitals. Almost no family doctors left, for every small thing you got to go to these huge hospitals and wait in tightly packed rooms for hours. Again great for viruses.

So I think its quite a difference to the Asian countries.

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 604
Oct 6, 2017
They dont even wash their hands here man... many bathrooms didnt even start putting in soap until the corona situation happened
I meant clean overall...as in garbage, personal hygiene, streets, people wearing masks long before, etc.

I think one of reason Japan doesn’t have soap in Some restrooms (I noticed thia too) is because many toilets are bidets, so you don’t touch the area as much.

I do think it’s peculiar with such a clean culture to not have soap in train station restrooms...Japan is extremely clean, nonetheless. I’ve been to Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Yokohama, and even remote areas of Chiba...all put the US to shame in cleanliness.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.