Apple to stop selling Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devburke, Aug 25, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

I'd think with SL not supporting PPC, they'd continue to offer Leopard. But it's not in their online store at all.

I guess the number of people using PPC that still aren't running Leopard but would eventually want to buy it is pretty low, so I'd understand them not selling it in-store. But you'd think it would at least be online.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Why would they make old OS's? You cannot buy Panther anymore?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't imagine seeing it in an Apple Store for much longer

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Leopard has been declared Legacy. The 10.5.6 retail disc and some versions of Leopard Server will still be available to order over the phone.

Same thing happened with every other OS that has been superseded.

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Creative ;)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I fixed it. :eek:

7. minik macrumors 65816

If they are still using Tiger or anything before that, I don't think they care about Leopard at all. It's a great OS since 10/2007.

8. devburke thread starter Guest

But why would you want to use Panther? For anyone still on PPC, Leopard is the highest they can go, so there's a reason to sell it. Although as I said, I'm sure almost all PPC owners who will want to purhase Leopard already have. But at least online so it'd be possible?

9. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Well same could be said for every revision of OSX. OSX has cut out some hardware with every release, but you're just making it seem bigger than it is because we're talking about a processor line, and not a USB-less computer and its predecessors

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That logical is not really a good one. Leopard has been out for a while, longer then the absence of PPC. Why wait now? If not there are plenty of places to still buy Leopard.

11. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I'd say, since snow leopard is not offered as a standalone but an upgrade, that they would indeed continue to sell leopard, considering it is a sort of prerequisite for SL installation and not all intel users came with leopard by default.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They have an overpriced product for that.

I understand the OP's argument. But the reality is, there are plenty of other places to buy it and Apple has no real reason to sell it. If there magically became a demand for 10.5, I'm sure that the capitalistic company that they are, Cupertino would order some more to be sold.

13. devburke thread starter Guest

Leopard is not a prerequisite. Tiger users can buy the Mac Box Set and get Snow Leopard without ever having Leopard. Supposedly, they can also buy the upgrade version and it doesn't check, but that would be breaking the EULA. Still, if the Box Set wasn't offered and Leopard was discontinued, it'd still be possible for Tiger users to upgrade.

14. devburke thread starter Guest

Overpriced? I'd call it a good deal. OS X usually costs $129, so considering you're getting that + iWork '09 + iLife '09, it's not a bad deal at all. It might be more than you want if you only want SL, but that doesn't make it overpriced, that just means they don't offer it by itself. You still definitely get your money's worth.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can get it cheaper individually I would imagine. Also, iWork/iLife? It's a sketch buy, considering it may not be the most revision in less then six months.

16. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

They won't stop it, A lot of users still need it