Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I'd think with SL not supporting PPC, they'd continue to offer Leopard. But it's not in their online store at all.

I guess the number of people using PPC that still aren't running Leopard but would eventually want to buy it is pretty low, so I'd understand them not selling it in-store. But you'd think it would at least be online.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Leopard has been declared Legacy. The 10.5.6 retail disc and some versions of Leopard Server will still be available to order over the phone.

Same thing happened with every other OS that has been superseded.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
If they are still using Tiger or anything before that, I don't think they care about Leopard at all. It's a great OS since 10/2007.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Why would they make old OS's? You cannot buy Panther anymore?

But why would you want to use Panther? For anyone still on PPC, Leopard is the highest they can go, so there's a reason to sell it. Although as I said, I'm sure almost all PPC owners who will want to purhase Leopard already have. But at least online so it'd be possible?

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
But why would you want to use Panther? For anyone still on PPC, Leopard is the highest they can go, so there's a reason to sell it. Although as I said, I'm sure almost all PPC owners who will want to purhase Leopard already have. But at least online so it'd be possible?

Well same could be said for every revision of OSX. OSX has cut out some hardware with every release, but you're just making it seem bigger than it is because we're talking about a processor line, and not a USB-less computer and its predecessors

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas

That logical is not really a good one. Leopard has been out for a while, longer then the absence of PPC. Why wait now? If not there are plenty of places to still buy Leopard.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I'd say, since snow leopard is not offered as a standalone but an upgrade, that they would indeed continue to sell leopard, considering it is a sort of prerequisite for SL installation and not all intel users came with leopard by default.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I'd say, since snow leopard is not offered as a standalone but an upgrade, that they would indeed continue to sell leopard, considering it is a sort of prerequisite for SL installation and not all intel users came with leopard by default.

They have an overpriced product for that.

I understand the OP's argument. But the reality is, there are plenty of other places to buy it and Apple has no real reason to sell it. If there magically became a demand for 10.5, I'm sure that the capitalistic company that they are, Cupertino would order some more to be sold.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008

Leopard is not a prerequisite. Tiger users can buy the Mac Box Set and get Snow Leopard without ever having Leopard. Supposedly, they can also buy the upgrade version and it doesn't check, but that would be breaking the EULA. Still, if the Box Set wasn't offered and Leopard was discontinued, it'd still be possible for Tiger users to upgrade.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
They have an overpriced product for that.

I understand the OP's argument. But the reality is, there are plenty of other places to buy it and Apple has no real reason to sell it. If there magically became a demand for 10.5, I'm sure that the capitalistic company that they are, Cupertino would order some more to be sold.

Overpriced? I'd call it a good deal. OS X usually costs $129, so considering you're getting that + iWork '09 + iLife '09, it's not a bad deal at all. It might be more than you want if you only want SL, but that doesn't make it overpriced, that just means they don't offer it by itself. You still definitely get your money's worth.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Overpriced? I'd call it a good deal. OS X usually costs $129, so considering you're getting that + iWork '09 + iLife '09, it's not a bad deal at all. It might be more than you want if you only want SL, but that doesn't make it overpriced, that just means they don't offer it by itself. You still definitely get your money's worth.

You can get it cheaper individually I would imagine. Also, iWork/iLife? It's a sketch buy, considering it may not be the most revision in less then six months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.