Apple to Switch From Dollars to Brazilian Reais for App Store Purchases in Brazil in 2018

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:16 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Starting in early 2018, Apple users in Brazil will pay for purchases from the App Store, iTunes Store, and iBooks Store using the Brazilian real instead of the dollar. The Brazilian real will also be used for Apple Music subscriptions and iCloud storage charges.

Apple began notifying users about the change in emails that were sent out today. Once the currency change happens, all new purchases and subscriptions will be charged in reais rather than dollars.

Since the iTunes Store became available in Brazil in 2011, customers have been required to pay in dollars using an international credit or debit card payment.

At one point, the Brazilian government looked into Apple's payment scheme, leading to speculation at the time that Apple was using dollars instead of reais to avoid software taxes that would negatively impact developers.

(Thanks, João!)

Article Link: Apple to Switch From Dollars to Brazilian Reais for App Store Purchases in Brazil in 2018

2. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

I wonder how the actual cost to the customer may change.
    Must be difficult for Apple to pass up the opportunity to slip in a beneficial (to Apple) increase.

3. oraculo666 macrumors newbie

oraculo666

Just a note: The plural of Real is Reais though. Not Reals.

4. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Is the currency prone to large fluctuations against the dollar – either currently or historically?

If so, that may be an additional reason for the previous dollar pricing, so both devs and Apple can stabilise prices and know better what they get in revenue...?

5. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Brazil has experienced hyperinflation in the past but I believe that was decades ago and has been more stable since (although that may have occurred again at a more muted pace when BRIC countries fell out of fashion on the world stage).

6. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Oh I see, interesting to know.

Aren't India & China still much on the the world stage though re. investment? (eg. in regards to Apple, China expansion ongoing, and India making phones and Cook visit etc.) I know Russia is somewhat difficult diplomatically, but Brazil I don't know about?

7. oraculo666 macrumors newbie

oraculo666

Yes, it has been fluctuating but not as much as it did in the past. The main problem for Brazilian customers is that whenever buying something overseas with your credit card, you have to pay 6.38% taxes also. And that was the case until now. Let's see if the prices in Reais will be billed locally.

8. filipe.esposito macrumors regular

filipe.esposito

Apple has just confirmed the prices for Apple Music subscription in reais. It's very attractive.

Apple Music Student Plan: R$8,50 (U$2,58)
    Apple Music Individual Plan: R$16,90 (U$5,14)
    Apple Music Family Plan: R$24,90 (U$7,57)

9. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I meant it more as the group not being viewed as the next big thing rather than all of them going out of fashion. I should have worded that better.

10. vlad_djkax macrumors member

Nice.. Spotify (which already charges in Reais) Family plan costs R$ 2,00 more..
    I wonder how much a single music will cost. Maybe R$ 3,50?

And all the uncertainty about our politics and government isn't helping, either.. :(