Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Did I hear right, the gold starts at $10,000?

Yup. They have done more here though. Limited quantities. How limited we don't know. This could go some way to creating demand for those individuals that are in this market segment.

I suspect we will see something like the Leica ltd edition phenomenon. Collectors picking these up and putting them in a safe, never touching them or breaking the seals on the packaging.

macjohnmcc

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Houston, TX, USA
That's a lot of money (the 1000+ range) for a throwaway item

As much as I love apple and technology I think the price of the stainless and gold versions of the watches are crazy. The technology inside of that pricey enclosure is going to age quickly. I know I'm not someone who will toss $10,000 for a watch (ever because I cannot) but I cannot imagine doing it knowing next years watch will be better and the one after even better until about 3-4 years from now that watch will be an antiquated piece of expensive technology.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I want to know where all the people are that claimed that John Gruber is just another analyst with a spotty track record and that his price predictions were ridiculous. I doubt any of you will have the courage to publicly eat some crow here.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Apple is shifting its retail strategy for the Apple Watch to deliver a more personalized shopping experience, according to The Wall Street Journal. The report claims that Apple Stores will accept in-store reservations for customers to try on the Apple Watch and corroborates that Apple is training its retail employees to help customers choose an Apple Watch model that suits them best.
ALL iWatches have the SAME FUNCTIONALITY !!!!

So the Genius bar employees are now fashion consultants to help pick out the best bracelet.
Awesome !

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
I love Titanium but it has two problems. One is environmental impact vs other metals and the second is that Titanium is an awful metal to push radio signals through. Nokia had a very expensive phone in the early 2000s that was Titanium and got awful reception. Apple was made the titanium G4 PowerBook that also had reception issues.

It's great for bike parts but not electronics that relay on radio signals.

Very interesting point. I ended up not ordering the SS model. :) So I'm happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.