Apple to upgrade mac mini to intel core duo 2?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by CraftyCraig, May 12, 2007.

  1. CraftyCraig macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 12, 2007
    #1
    I am thinking of buying myself a mac mini as at the momment I am using my partners mac book pro to connect to the internet aswell as other things, However, Does anyone think that apple with shortly upgrade the mac mini to the core 2 duo or should i just go out and buy one. Thanks :)
     
  2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

    Kashchei

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2002
    Location:
    Meat Space
    #2
    I wouldn't buy anything before June 11 if you can wait that long. The mini is long overdue for an upgrade; only Steve knows if it this will happen at WWDC.
     
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000

    bearbo

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #3
    I do, I do. It won't.

    What does mini have anything to do with D in WWDC, which stands for developer?
     
  4. Applied macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 9, 2007
    Location:
    Germany
    #4
    If you need it - buy it! If you wait for an upgrade you can wait forever, because there always will be an upgrade "soon".
    It isn't that bad actually.
     
  5. theheyes macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester
    #5
    The Core Duo chips are thoroughly good chips in their own right, so from that perspective you wont be buying a dud.

    I, personally, want a mac mini but I'm going to wait till the end of the year to see if there is an update. But I can afford to wait. If, however, you need one now, I would say buy.
     
  6. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

    vendettabass

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    Seoul, South Korea
    #6
    yeah me too, I need that 802.11n !
     
  7. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    The current mac Mini is a very poor buy, I certainly wouldn't consider it. You don't seem to be in too much of a hurry to get a Mac so I would wait until WWDC.
     
  8. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #8
    The Core Duo is still a fast chip...and OS X still makes it worth the price IMO, but I'd wait if you could for upgrades.



    WWDC might not bring upgrades for the Mini, but upgrades are coming. Most likely after WWDC.
     
  9. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

    vendettabass

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    Seoul, South Korea
    #9
    I LOVE the mac mini design. I reckon' apple should drop the low end 17" iMac and build my high end black Mac Mini:D :D :D

    [​IMG]

    This is my perfect machine right now for what I need (music recording, photo editing / Ps, basic movie editing, Mail, Safari/FF, IM, etc etc)

    Throw in a HDMI in there too :D
    come on apple!
     
  10. kellen macrumors 68020

    kellen

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #10
    SOLD!
     
  11. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2007
    #11
    Size would have to be larger if ur gonna throw in a X1600.
     
  12. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

    vendettabass

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    Seoul, South Korea
    #12
    damn! I guess the X3000 will have to do!
     
  13. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #13
    HDMI would be very nice.

    A bigger HDD would be great which is why I want these same specs in a machine thats a couple of inches wider and say an inch higher, able to support a 3.5" SATA drive of 500GBs capacity.

    FW800 wouldn't go amiss either.

    4 RAM slots.

    Small front external screen - ok dreaming for this year.
     
  14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #14
    According to the MacRumor's Buying Guide, the mini is long overdue for an update. Having said that, the mini is one of the few Macs in which you can upgrade the CPU (after your Applecare is finished :D) and plop in a Core 2 Duo and these should be pretty cheap in a year or two. I am going to buy one for my daughter after summer but I might go for a refurb'd one rather than the new one (if it ever gets announced) if the price diff is significant. One thing I have noticed about all minis is that they seem to hold their price well. Even older G4's are selling for about 60-75% of their new price.
     
  15. Cabbit macrumors 68020

    Cabbit

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #15
    nope for a X1600 the size is fine the mini had a 9200 in it before that is a larger chip than the X1600. and there is still the hole under belly of the mini to cram stuff into like the ram for easy user access via a hatch and put the gpu were the ram simms are now.
     
  16. iDave macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    #16
    I'm also planning to purchase a mini. If it isn't upgraded before WWDC, it might be at least a month after that. I doubt any hardware will be introduced by Apple during June except "iPhone." I'm waiting impatiently.

    My guess is that the "books" and iMacs will get santa rosa chips before mini is upgraded to Core 2 Duo. Based on the mini's history up to now, Apple really wants it to be perceived as the low end Mac and it will not be on par with even the base MacBook.

    If I really needed a Mac now, I'd go ahead and get a mini. It's an awesome computer. I just don't like to buy late in the cycle.
     
  17. syphax macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2007
    #17
    Late in the cycle...

    It's irritating, that's for sure.

    My wife had a late 68xxx Powerbook, and now has a G4 Powerbook. Both were bought fairly close to end of each chip's lifecycle. The 68k didn't age well, and the G4, though otherwise a great machine, can be painfully slow at times. It can't play an iTunes TV show w/o lags and skips, for instance.

    I realize that CD to CD2 isn't that big a performance leap, but it is a 32-bit to 64-bit leap, which will matter fairly soon. I know you can plug a CD2 into a Mini, but I personally really want a CD2 out of the box.

    I don't need a Mini, though; I just really, really want one for my home server/PVR/etc. I hope the refresh is in June!!
     
  18. elec999 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2007
    #18
    The cpu is no problem, can be changed even now. It just needs a better video card, with h264 accelaration, and hdcp.
    Thanks
     
  19. Tara Davis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2007
    #19
    No need to clamor (or "clamour", for you UK people) for HDMI.

    The mini already has DVI. All you are getting with HDMI is DVI+audio. The TOSLink audio in the current mini is the better solution for sound, because if you are a home theater enthusiast, you want sound going to your 5.1 amplifier, not your TV set.

    So keep the mini video output as it is (with better video card support for HDTV scan ratios), and let those who hook them up to TV sets us a DVI-HDMI cable.

    As soon as a mini comes out with:
    Core2 Duo (at 2 GHz or better)
    802.11n

    I'm selling my dual-G5 tower and putting one of those babies in my media room. ^_^V

    As it currently is, the mini is a slight downgrade from what I'm using right now.
     
  20. Tara Davis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2007
    #20
    Yep. I just put my old G4 mini (first-gen, pre-ordered on the day of the Stevenote) up for sale for $300 on Craigslist. Had 4 people fighting over it on the same day the ad went up. If I was willing to put up with the hassles of eBay (PayPal, shipping, fees, etc.), I probably could have gotten a lot more.

    So I basically paid about $100 a year for it before moving on. In this day and age, that ain't bad at all.
     

Share This Page