Apple To Use OLED Displays On iPods?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Inquirer is claiming that Organic LED (OLED) displays may be used on next generation small-sized iPods (Nano and/or Shuffle replacement). This rumor is not necessarily new, as ThinkSecret reported in May of 2003 that Apple was considering OLED technology for iPods and possibly displays.

OLED displays draw significantly less power than traditional TFT-LCD displays used in current iPod models, as they do not require a backlight (each pixel directly emits its own light). OLED contrast ratio's are generally considered far superior to LCD displays because the pixels can display true black when off. However, OLEDs are not well suited for outdoor use, and have a limited lifespan.

For more information on OLEDs, see Wikipedia.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
OLEDs actually can last up to 4 years and are just as good as a glossy LCD outside. I hope progress can be made so that OLED becomes the standard!

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
wmmk said:
OLEDs actually can last up to 4 years and are just as good as a glossy LCD outside. I hope progress can be made so that OLED becomes the standard!
I always thought it was longer than 4 years. I guess not. Everytime I read about the future of flat panel, I hear OLED mentioned. Heck, anyone seen the ilistration where an OLED covers an entire wall in a living room..... oh to dream!

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
I always thought it was longer than 4 years. I guess not. Everytime I read about the future of flat panel, I hear OLED mentioned. Heck, anyone seen the ilistration where an OLED covers an entire wall in a living room..... oh to dream!
The realistic life expectancy for an average person's iPod is probably not much longer than 4 years anyway.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Hmmm picture a magnesium 16x9 iPod with OLED touchscreen. hmmmm :eek:
Can't wait for WWDC, I think Steve will show something cool there.

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
Zweben said:
The realistic life expectancy for an average person's iPod is probably not much longer than 4 years anyway.
I must not be average -- I'm still running my 1st gen iPod, never had a problem with it aside from shrinking battery life.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
tis a good idea, however methinks the lifespan should be a little more than 4 years before they seriously consider it.

i do like the way the sony devices don't show the display at all when off, i think the ipod could be pretty cool like that. maybe. :rolleyes:

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
If OLEDs only have at best a 4yr lifespan, I think this would be a horrible move and I certainly would not purchase one. While I do update my iPod frequently, that also means I sell my old ones frequently. The resale value on a product with a short lifespan is going to be crap. And should I decide to hold onto my iPod for a long while, I don't want it becoming useless after a few years.

And if OLEDs don't perform well outdoors, that's another good reason not to use them. Just doesn't seem like this technology is mature enough yet and I wouldn't want to invest big $$$ in something that is going to die in a few years and won't work well outside. I'd rather stick with the trusty old TFT display and if battery is an issue, I'll invest in an external battery like the ones from iLuv.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
BrianMojo said:
I must not be average -- I'm still running my 1st gen iPod, never had a problem with it aside from shrinking battery life.
I still have my first-gen iPod, although I have had to replace it's battery twice, and I no longer use it in favor of my Gen4 Photo 30 Gig. It is sitting on my bookshelf, actually, in my Mac Museum (right beside all of my retail Mac OS boxes that I've collected. Each OS since OS 9 (minus 10.1). I lost OS 8 somewhere along the line, but I used to have it as well.

Attachments

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
wwdc is not for ipods. it is for developers and pros. ipods are at the complete other end of the focus for wwdc. i highly doubt they will mix them.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
virus1 said:
wwdc is not for ipods. it is for developers and pros. ipods are at the complete other end of the focus for wwdc. i highly doubt they will mix them.
Just imagine:

"Behold the new Magnesium Macbook Pro! You wonder why we chose Magnesium? It's just so much cooler than Aluminum. And because of that, the next generation iPod is made of the same material. Now why do I mention the next iPod on a developers conference? Well... we want you guys to make software for these things <showing a slide of the new awesome iPod>. You've only developed for OSX so far? Then you're just as able to develop for these babies. They just run OSX, core video, core audio, everything is right there. <shows a slide of the "about this iPod"-screen. Audience is breathless> Airport, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, you name it, it all fits into this nice package. And one more thing: it comes free with every new Mac!"

Alright, I'm dreaming already. Good night.

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
MrCrowbar said:
... Now why do I mention the next iPod on a developers conference? Well... we want you guys to make software for these things <showing a slide of the new awesome iPod>. You've only developed for OSX so far? Then you're just as able to develop for these babies. ...
I hope you are right about this. I've mentioned in previous threads that one of the coolest things Apple could do with the iPod is to release an SDK... one that integrates with XCode... so people can create games, applications, etc. for the iPod. If they do come out with a fullscreen model, this will be even cooler as there'll be more types of apps that'll become practical on a little larger screen.

I'd also like to see more addons for the iPod, like WiFi/bluetooth (I guess Jabra is coming out with one, but it'd be nice if it supports more than audio profiles), keyboards, etc. This would be a good way for people who want to use the iPod as a PDA to be able to do so w/o forcing people who could care less to have to pay for the R&D of specific apps and additional hardware features.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
MrCrowbar said:
Just imagine:

"Behold the new Magnesium Macbook Pro! You wonder why we chose Magnesium? It's just so much cooler than Aluminum. And because of that, the next generation iPod is made of the same material. Now why do I mention the next iPod on a developers conference? Well... we want you guys to make software for these things <showing a slide of the new awesome iPod>. You've only developed for OSX so far? Then you're just as able to develop for these babies. They just run OSX, core video, core audio, everything is right there. <shows a slide of the "about this iPod"-screen. Audience is breathless> Airport, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, you name it, it all fits into this nice package. And one more thing: it comes free with every new Mac!"

Alright, I'm dreaming already. Good night.
You forgot the long pause, the "Oh, and one more thing..." then everyone laughing, and inhaling in high expectations.

;)

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
thegreatluke said:
You forgot the long pause, the "Oh, and one more thing..." then everyone laughing, and inhaling in high expectations.

;)
That's why I wish one time they would hold the keynote at the end of WWDC, just so Steve could say:

"Oh, and one more thing... (pause and inhale) ...get the F out. Just get the F out, go back to work and you come up with "one more thing", why's it always got to be us? I mean, come on you guys...help a brother out once and a while."

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
MrCrowbar said:
They just run OSX, core video, core audio, everything is right there. <shows a slide of the "about this iPod"-screen. Audience is breathless> Airport, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, you name it, it all fits into this nice package.
It just needs to do everything a Motorola Q and Palm's Life Drive can do. I'm sure Apple can make something like that for about $500 to $600, and include a 30GB or bigger hard drive.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
This would be awesome OLED's look great and if it can prolong battery life and be more durable it will be a great addition to the iPod.....

SHadoW

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
*LOUD COUGH*
The apostrophe needs to be removed from "ratios".

TheAnswer said:
That's why I wish one time they would hold the keynote at the end of WWDC, just so Steve could say:

"Oh, and one more thing... (pause and inhale) ...get the F out. Just get the F out, go back to work and you come up with "one more thing", why's it always got to be us? I mean, come on you guys...help a brother out once and a while."
That would be hilarious. Bad for PR, but hilarious. :D

MrCrowbar said:
They just run OSX, core video, core audio, everything is right there. <shows a slide of the "about this iPod"-screen. Audience is breathless> Airport, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, you name it, it all fits into this nice package.
Personally, I think if they adapt OS X to run on an iPod, they should call it Mac OS X mini. :p

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
C00rDiNaT0r said:
It just needs to do everything a Motorola Q and Palm's Life Drive can do. I'm sure Apple can make something like that for about $500 to $600, and include a 30GB or bigger hard drive.
I think they can do better than that on the price look at the Digital Cube istation V43 that thing cost $600 bucks for the 30gig and $700 for 40gig just to get it from Korea or Japan to North America. It has a portable AMD chip comes with a 4.3in wide-screen display. The thing with this player is the os is Linux based so it has a lot of customization. It comes with built in, dmb tv, tv in and out ports, fm radio, and touch screen. Then my understanding is you can get optional gps(which was also available for the older model) and wifi support. Pretty much you can make this into a pda that can play a huge array of video and audio format(even more with tweaks). Last I checked the 30gig was going for around $470 at a North American online retailer.

To me this sounds all possible for something Apple to do and do it at a reasonable price.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
wmmk said:
I don't think so.....
It does I just loookef it up, here are the specs

Sony Walkman Bean - Features & colors
· Tropical Ice (Blue)
· Cotton Candy (Pink)
· Licorice (Black)
· Coconut (White)
· Built in pop-up USB jack
· 3 hours playback from 3 minute charge
· Up to 50 hours playback

· Lithium ion rechargeable battery
· Bright, 1-line OLED display
· Easy JOG operation
· ATRAC3plus/MP3 Playback
· Time/Calendar indication
· File management software SonicStage 3.2 supplied
· 512 MB version
· 512 MB with FM radio version
· 1 GB version

And then there's this one as well:

it features a:
Organic Electroluminescence Display
A unique 1.5" screen offers a crisp, clear view of player functions and data while creating the illusion of a "floating" display that takes up the entire surface of the device.

battery is "up to" 20 hours playback, this is only at 48 kbps ATRAC3 with power saving modes

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
This sounds like it would suit the shuffle down to the ground (at least for those who want a screen on the shuffle). Because its been out a while with no new revision (other than price drop), perhaps the shuffle would be first, followed by the big boys a little later?

The fact that I recently put my shuffle through a white wash, and hence have a very clean, but slightly temperamental player, has no bearing on this post though...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.