Apple to Use Repurposed Mesa, Arizona Factory to Manufacture Data Center Cabinets

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple wants to use GT Advanced's former sapphire plant to produce hardware that will be used within its U.S. data centers, according to a notification published by the Federal Register and shared by Business Insider.

Apple is seeking approval from the Foreign-Trade Zones Board to create "finished products and foreign status materials/components" in the factory. Specifically, Apple wants to create "finished server assembly cabinets" and needs permission to use materials sourced from abroad.

[​IMG]
    Image via AZCentral

According to the filing, the data center cabinets will be used for "other global data centers." A person with knowledge of Apple's data centers spoke to Business Insider and said Apple's data center server production will be consolidated in Mesa, Arizona.

Servers for Apple's Oregon and North Carolina data centers are currently built and tested on-site, and the same likely goes for other global data center locations. With the Mesa factory, Apple will build and configure all U.S. servers in Arizona and ship them to Oregon and North Carolina.

Apple originally purchased the Mesa, Arizona factory for sapphire manufacturer GT Advanced, but after the sapphire-making company failed to produce sapphire up to Apple's standards and went bankrupt, Apple was left with an empty facility.

Apple announced plans to repurpose the sapphire plant in 2014, and is said to be investing $2 billion to turn it into a "global command center" for Apple's data network. At 1.3 million square feet, the facility is large enough to serve as both a data center and a manufacturing plant for data center equipment.

Article Link: Apple to Use Repurposed Mesa, Arizona Factory to Manufacture Data Center Cabinets

2. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

3. jwm macrumors 6502

jwm

I wonder if they will be the thinnest racks ever designed. :rolleyes:

4. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

5. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

I’d love to get a glimpse inside Apple’s data centers to see what sort of equipment they’re running!

6. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

Macintosh computers have been made in Arizona in the past. Specifically the Motorola StarMax. They were good machines.

7. 2457282 Suspended

I do hope this is a cover and they are actually producing a car, a phone, and plane. a car, a phone, and a plane. Do you get it yet. Its not three products but one that does it all.

[​IMG]

LOL :D:p:cool:

8. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

I wish they made XServes again...

Glassed Silver:mac

9. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

10. sirozha macrumors 6502a

Take my money, Apple! I've been waiting for this moment for decades. I will finally be able to have Apple branded equipment cabinets in my home lab!

11. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I imagine Apple is not using any servers that resemble their publicly available computers.

If they have a use for rack mounting, they either have a totally custom system resembling the Xserve, or they're using 3rd party machines (like HP, Dell, etc.).

Once you get into the Enterprise market, Dell does have some impressive equipment.

12. captain cadet macrumors 6502

From someone who builds servers for large companies he said it's around this spec:
    HP Hardware that runs intel Xeon chips that with a built in HDD of around 100gb for OS and local tasks and around 128 GB of ram
    Large HDD RAID central with tape back ups being done automatically
    Also include specific encryption computers

13. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

Well, didn't think this would ever be a reality.....

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

15. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Just curious did Apple use Xserves for their data center needs? Or has it always been other OEMS?

16. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

17. Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

My memory is a bit faded, but if I recall correctly, Apple's corporate website used to hosted on Xserves behind load-balancing equipment. That was many years ago, not in the recent iTunes Music Store/App Store/Apple Store era.

It is likely that Apple ran third-party hardware concurrently for other purposes, not just at data centers but also for internal purposes.

Apple has allegedly been a longtime user of Oracle products which means they are running third-party equipment. It's not like a Fortune 100 company is going to be running QuickBooks on two-year-old MacPro.

My guess is that their on-campus WiFi isn't being hosted on AirPort Extremes either. They are likely using an enterprise solution.

In any given Apple data center, my guess is that there are 2-3 system vendors depending on the age of the components and that Apple IT periodically switches vendors to mitigate risk, encourage cost competition, and access whatever is the ideal technology at the purchasing timeframe.

18. Nuvi macrumors 65816

Well that's what your going to get anyway. Servers put together from foreign parts for Apple's own server farms. If Apple doesn't start manufacturing high end enterprise products then you can forget any meaningful US manufacturing.

19. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Wasnt Black Mesa in Arizona? No wonder no desktops in 2016, theyve been working in an interdimensional portal to an alien world! HL joke.

20. jimac macrumors newbie

How difficult would it be for Apple to set up a custom-Macintosh shop in a corner of their Mesa plant?

All of Apple's devices run on apps built on Xcode, which runs only on Macintosh computers. Obviously every Mac developer would welcome more powerful Mac hardware to build their software on! As would users of other "Pro" Mac software. Movie studios and record producers come to mind, and even graphic and web designers. Not to mention gamers who are always demanding the latest and greatest components.

Apple probably has stacks of the best consumer towers ever built in a warehouse somewhere.

Obviously, as an Apple operation, this little shop would only use hardware that is Apple-approved for macOS, but as cutting edge hardware fanatics they might expand that, testing the latest and prototype hardware, which could push Apple in new directions. I'm sure Apple already has similar operations building specialized computers for internal development, but many users and even corporate clients would welcome their own leading edge custom Apple machines!

Does anyone remember Apple's "G4 Tanks" commercial? Back when Apple built THE most powerful consumer machines?

21. Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

My guess is that Apple has little interest in forking their operating system tree to support a handful of customized configurations. Their greater interest is to get everyone on the latest publicly-released version of the operating system.

We have seen this in macOS and iOS. Apple wants people to run the latest version of their software on their recent hardware. On macOS, they only provide critical security updates for the previous version. For iOS they basically stop work on the previous version. tvOS doesn't even run on the previous Apple TV hardware.

Nothing that Apple does publicly indicates any interest in them running weird configurations for one-off situations.

The credible situations that call for Apple to fork their software tree is for developing a new product line, like the iPad or the Intel-based Macintosh. Those branch changes were eventually integrated back into the main trees, today they are the same.

22. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

THIS.

Does anyone believe that Mini should deliver new cars to dealerships with trailers pulled by Cooper Countryman editions?

Or that Craftsman must use Sears branded hammers and wrenches to make their tools? Nope.

23. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Def not a death trap.

24. afseale macrumors newbie

And the new plant 9 min from my house! There goes the house prices up up and away