Apple Today - 1116 negative vs 853 positive

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by deadkennedy, Sep 2, 2010.

?

Do you find September Keynote and products presented generally positive or negative

Poll closed Sep 16, 2010.
  1. Positive

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Negative

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. deadkennedy macrumors 6502

I noticed last few days that users are generally rating front page news as negative. So I've done a quick count at the present situation and found 1116 negatives and 853 positives.

total: 1969
    negative: 1116 ~ 57%
    positive: 853 ~ 43%

It's also interesting that this coincides largely with Apple recent event, so although this isn't close to scientific analysis, it shows quite huge negative impression among Apple passionate consumers.

So, I'm also posting a quick poll to see what's the opinion of the event itself.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Indifferent.
    New Shuffle- Superb!
    New Nano- A step sideways.
    New Touch- Great, but no 128gb option.
    AppleTV- Can't find a use for this yet.
    New iTunes- Fantastic, but let's talk about that icon...

4. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say these were troll attacks that were clicking negatives. Large majority of users on this site I believe are genuine Apple customers who care about their products and what's going on in Apple. There are haters as well but there's very little of them. They compensate for fanboi followers.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yep, the rating system is still meaningless. No news here...

6. djjclark macrumors regular

Sorry but I find most posters to be idiots that have no clue when it comes to technical issues. They also fail to see that when a product is not marketed at them that it might be useful to someone else. They have no idea on the man hours needed to code and test product. No clue what engineering trade offs are. I could go on and on about the stupidity displayed on these and other forums but it wouldn't really matter. :(

7. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

I get your point, however tech-idiots are also customers and they are voicing their views on different means. Nokia is also spending a lot of man hours, as well as Microsoft but I can't imagine the horrors of going back to use their phones or Windows OS. I do not take these ratings for granted but there is a noticeable trend here, and that is going towards negatives when it comes to Apple events and product announcements.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Neither, it was mostly meh to me.

Some things were pretty good, and some things were pretty poor. Averaged together gives you meh.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

People have unrealistic expectations, a failure to grasp technological feasibility, a huge sense of entitlement, and a need for instant gratification. Put those together, and this is what you get.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I agree completely.

For the most part, I thought the products introduced yesterday were pretty good with the nano being the exception.

11. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so it's the problem with people not being able to understand. I guess that's also why Ubunutu hasn't kicked out Windows yet.

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I like the new ipod touch. I just wish they'd make an ipod touch with a data plan. I'd love an iPhone, but I rarely talk on the phone. Email, twitter, facebook, IM, SMS. That's generally how I communicate.

The nano looks pretty neat too although I wonder how people with big fingers will fare.

13. cube macrumors G5

Downgrade Cube to Mac mini => no new Mac in 9 years
    Remove ExpressCard & replaceable battery => Buy old MBP
    Downgrade AppleTV => Buy old AppleTV for use without TV
    Downgrade Nano without extra capacity => keep old too tight 16GB Nano
    Nothing useful in iTunes 10 => keep iTunes 9 with nice icon

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, you don't think what chrmjenkins said is true? Just look at this site after any new product announcement and look at all of the people complaining. I think he nailed the reasons why. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying Apple produces great stuff all of the time or can do no wrong.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

OH, come on...I don't agree with this at all. OK, I'm kidding...this is absolutely correct.

I remember when the first iPhone came out, and people were bitching about it's measly 8GB storage. If I recall, no other portable device at the time had such storage, but it was an abomination that the iPhone didn't. And many people said that they would never buy one until it was large enough for them to carry every piece of media that they have ever consumed in their life, on their phone. And with every iteration, it's not big enough, it needs more! When 16 came out, they wanted 32. When 32 came out, they wanted 64. And the cycle keeps going.

And then you have the people who (before multitasking was available) said stupid things like "OMG! Why can't they add multitasking??? It's like ONE line of code to implement this!" Yes, I'm sure adding multitasking to a device is just one feeble line of code.

Yeah, there are a lot of people out there who will NEVER be happy with anything because it doesn't fit every single aspect of their life at all times. If they came out tomorrow with a new 9.0gHz MacPro with 500TB of storage, 8 Blu Ray drives, 34 USB/FW connectors, 360-degree holographic camera, and 4 free 30" cinema displays, you'd have some jerkoff complaining that it's garbage because it's not portable. :rolleyes:

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

+1

Precisely

17. macbook yes macrumors 6502

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most of the tech-idiots are not customers.

It's call FUD. IBM had it, then Microsoft had it, now some other companies are trying it.

Some people have such unrealistic expectations (but can't afford the product) that no matter what's released they are not happy (aka the waiting for next gen crowd).

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There should have been a third category: "indifferent/neutral". I think a large proportion of people who saw the articles didn't have a strong enough opinion to rate it.

20. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I guess if you don't want it's like voting for neutral. It doesn't count either way towards negative or positive.

21. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't agree at all that people who rated all those articles negative, it is because of their personality traits. It simply just happened like that. On previous and some future announcements it's going to be 90% positive. This time it was less, so be it, you can't proclaim everyone voting negative for Ping to have some sort of psychological problems or bad personality.

22. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I'm usually only interested in certain products, in this case it was the new touch. I think they nailed a lot of what I was hoping for, but the real downer at the end was the less than stellar back camera, if they had popped a 5 megapixal camera in there (even if it meant making it thicker or slightly more expensive) I would have bought one. For now I'll keep my 2G and wait until they do put a decent camera in it.