Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abul_22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Hi there,

My Macbook Pro after 2 years of purchase stopped booting. Every time I turned it on the flashing folder kept coming up. I took it to Apple and they initially said it was the cable however replacing the cable the HD did not respond. I have been told the HD is gone.

Unfortunately the external HD I backed up my data on is lost and cannot find it.

Is there anyway to retrieve some of the files from the non working HD?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only way to retrieve files from a non-working hard drive is to use one of those very expensive recovery services.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
My Macbook Pro after 2 years of purchase stopped booting. Every time I turned it on the flashing folder kept coming up. I took it to Apple and they initially said it was the cable however replacing the cable the HD did not respond. I have been told the HD is gone.
Unfortunately the external HD I backed up my data on is lost and cannot find it.
Is there anyway to retrieve some of the files from the non working HD?
What year, size screen, and type of screen (retina or classic)?
Was it a spinner, SSD, or Flash storage HD? My first impression, since you bought it 2 years ago, was that it would be a 2013 retina which would have PCIe Flash storage which would greatly limit your options. You mentioned Apple thought it was the HD cable so that guess is ruled out.

You could put the failed HD in an external USB enclosure, connect it to the MBP, and see it it mounts at all. If it does appear you might be able to drag and drop some files off of it or try some data recovery software. If it does not mount at all then you only option is to use an expensive data recovery service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.