Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Nice to read Apple tops the list. I'm surprised to see Acer ending that high... it's quite an achievement for a company selling their gear competitive priced and giving good service (according the list)

Reactions: vmistery

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Apple support is great. When I had issues with AM billing they actually gave me song credits. As for other services it is crapshoot if they are good or not. Google and T-Mobile when I get a American they help me everytime. When I get a foreign idiot I end up yelling at them and hanging up for telling me stupid stuff like reboot your phone. Hello how am I suppose to reboot my phone when I am on it talking to you.

T-Mobile took three calls to fix my billing issues. The first two foreign idiots did nothing despite saying I would be getting a credit for being over charged saying it can take over 24 to 48 hours BS story. The third call I got a American and he took care of the credit right away as soon as I hung up I got a text and the credit was taking care of.

Rvsymmot

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2016
Literally no one cares about your individual experience. Your experience is irrelevant in the grand scheme of this report. It is what it is. Apple is at the top of the list for customer support. The fact that you had a bad experience does not nullify the results of this survey. No company can EVER satisfy 100% of its customers. In your case you assumed changing your billing info would have no consequences. You were wrong. You should have investigated first before acting.

I never said it was relevant to the report, just replying to another posters experience and sharing my own. I also don't see why changing country should delete my library. Potentially songs that aren't available in the new country, yes, but not my whole library (including songs I made in GarageBand.) Your reply was similar to some of the things I heard from AppleCare.

Reactions: vmistery

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
I've always had an issue with this. Unless you pay an extra 250 for applecare apple won't talk to you after 90 days. Everyone else perhaps slower but they there for the full first 12 months.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
My only significant interaction with Apple's general phone support occurred after my hard drive refused to boot due to errors. I phoned the local apple store as I was without internet due to the dead HD so couldn't google any other company numbers. I was trying to see if I could get copy of DiskWarrior from them - my Mac was way out of warranty by then. Below is (very roughly) how the conversation went:

Me: Hi, my hard drive is refusing to boot and I wondered if you sold DiskWarrior that might fix it?
Store: That's not in our catalogue here, but we may be able to get you a copy, please hold on while I transfer you to someone who should be able to help
Apple: Hi, this is **** how can I help you today.
Me: {repeat original question}
Apple: You know, I'm not familiar with that product. Do You mind if I transfer you?
Me: Sure, go ahead
Apple: Hi, this is **** at Applecare, can I get your product serial number?
Me: Hi, my Mac is long out of warranty, I was calling to try to find a piece of software to rescue my hard drive.
Apple: Sir, I can't talk to you without your serial number.
Me: I'm not looking for support, I'm just asking if Apple sell DiskWarrior and if so who should I call to buy a copy?
Apple: Sir, you are talking to Applecare support in California. If you don't want Applecare support, I'm not sure why called this number.
Me: I was transferred to this number, I'm just trying to find it Apple can sell me a particular product.
Apple: Sir, I can't talk to you without a Serial number.
Me: Can you transfer me to someone who could help me?
Apple: hangs up the phone.

After this, I've been pretty leery about the whole Apple phone support fan club, although on a more positive note the Genius Bar has always been a really good experience for me.

(Eventually got a copy of DiskWarrior and HD was recovered to an external drive)

The problem is hes not allowed to talk to you without proof you're an apple customer. Just give him your serial number next time whats the big deal.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I can attest to how awful Dell's CS is. Had to fight them over a refund for five weeks. Was laughed at and hung up on at least 2x, and it took my going to the bank and the Better Business Bureau for them to move. The BS excuse was their servers were down with the same issue for almost a month.

---

In my personal experience, Apple's customer service has dropped significantly in the past year, but if you ever have a store issue contact the store leader. I always had a good experience with refunds and most returns in the store.

Reactions: tonyr6

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The problem is hes not allowed to talk to you without proof you're an apple customer. Just give him your serial number next time whats the big deal.
I am pretty sure that you totally missed the point of the post..

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Acer 2nd? Lenovo 3rd? HP 5th? Razer in the top 10?!

It's no wonder Apple are top of the list. Not much competition. Those are some of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm in the UK so I've heard that Razer/Microsoft support in the US is much better than over here. But with the exception of DELL/Apple, everybody else listed here are atrocious in my experience.

So you mean if the competition was harder Apple´s score would be worse?
You don't think the result of the survey would be the same if Apple would be the only one in the "competition"
[doublepost=1489249913][/doublepost]
Lololol

I too lost all of my music, though it was with Apple Music. I changed my billing country and my whole library was wiped. Support offered nothing other than inconsistencies and a few people even blaming me. Ultimately, I received an offer of 50 free songs to replace 10,000~. No backup because the files are deleted when using iCloud Music Library.

Your music? It´s not your music. You are only renting the music.
There are no reason not to have a backup and the fact is with iTunes backup/iCloud Backup you would had the ability to recover your entire library.
So i understand why Apple is blaming you because you are wrong.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I prefer to buy hardware that just work and do my own support.

That's why Thinkpads are the only approved laptops for the International Space Station.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

zaaach48

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Philadelphia
If your company needs tech support, you are already doing something wrong.
Baaaaaaaahahhahahahahhahaha ah man I hope you're just trolling
[doublepost=1489260452][/doublepost]
To be fair recommending something because of support is like saying "don’t worry when things will go bad they will support you"; perhaps things shouldn't go bad in the first place?

lol unfortunately your standpoint is not grounded in reality at all. Do you have ANY experience with technology at all or just trolling like the other guy?

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
No the complete opposite, I'm saying why can't we be in situation where insurance is not even a thing or needed.
Support isn't just about faults. Look at the examples given - they weren't even errors, they were questions about "how do I do this?" and "can it do that?"
Unless/until every user knows everything about how to do everything, support will always be needed, faults or no faults.
Presumably, you have a moral objection to auto mechanics for similar reasons, and never get your car proactively serviced.

Suspended
Jul 1, 2014

Remember AppleCare isn't just there for when something breaks, it's also about education. It's a great resource to open a live chat or call and ask about how to do something in iWork etc.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Apple's Level 1 phone support is garbage. In my experience, they pretty much don't know anything useful. That may be a bit self-selecting, though, since I don't call with basic questions, but it really is surprising how little they know - though I guess that does seem to be the norm for Level 1 support in general these days with almost any company.

Level 2 support does seem better, but still not what I would expect from Apple.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Apple's Level 1 phone support is garbage. In my experience, they pretty much don't know anything useful. That may be a bit self-selecting, though, since I don't call with basic questions, but it really is surprising how little they know - though I guess that does seem to be the norm for Level 1 support in general these days with almost any company.

Level 2 support does seem better, but still not what I would expect from Apple.

I would guess it's a cost issue. If some reasonable percentage of calls can be handled by less experienced, and thus cheaper, support staff then it make sense to do that and hand off the more complicated ones to level 2. As you point out, that's pretty much standard practice across many industries, not just tech. A car repair shop doesn't have their experienced ASE certified mechanics answer questions about buying new tires unless the wear pattern shows a more serious problem.
[doublepost=1489412178][/doublepost]
I prefer to buy hardware that just work and do my own support.

That's why Thinkpads are the only approved laptops for the International Space Station.

Just remember, everything on there is built by the lowest bidder...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Not completely shocking. Apple Support is second to none. The few times I have dealt with their support, I have received exemplary service.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
found the guy who has never worked a day in IT :p
[doublepost=1489511487][/doublepost]Apple support has never ceased to surprise and amaze me and it's one thing that I really hope all other manufacturers look towards for inspiration.

are they perfect? no. But they seem to understand customer service a lot better than many others. Maybe it's just my luck, but so far so good

my MBA power brick stopped working, they shipped me a new one overnight no charge, and had a pre-paid package in the shipping to ship back the broken one. No charge. This happened twice and both times Apple took care of it.

My niece is a klutz and has dropped and cracked her iPad 3 times now. Each time, to my surprise, Apple genius has replaced it at no charge for her.

Seriously, I keep trying to have her learn a lesson that she needs to take personal responsibility for her iPad. The first time, i expected Apple to say "no". so I took her to the mall and had her come with me to the genius bar. and sure enough they said "yes". I told her, that he was being very kind and that she shouldn't expect a 2nd replacement.

she dropped and broke it again. So we went back to the bar and a different genius. Again, I told her "expect that he will say no since it was your responsibility to not break it". and sure enough, the new rep said yes and gave her another new one!

well, she's now dropped it again... I won't even take her. because she clearly hasn't learned her lesson about responsibility!

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I would guess it's a cost issue. If some reasonable percentage of calls can be handled by less experienced, and thus cheaper, support staff then it make sense to do that and hand off the more complicated ones to level 2. As you point out, that's pretty much standard practice across many industries, not just tech. A car repair shop doesn't have their experienced ASE certified mechanics answer questions about buying new tires unless the wear pattern shows a more serious problem.
[doublepost=1489412178][/doublepost]

Yeah, but they ought to know more than most random callers, shouldn't they? That's really the point of calling tech support. They most often don't seem to know even basic Apple tech. It's just irritating. I feel like that would irritate Steve Jobs too, and so it's just another example of how this company has lowered the bar (to increase profits) since he passed. It's simply counter to everything he believed in and what made most of us love Apple so much.

No doubt - it's not your father's Apple (though it's still being run by men the age of your grandfather).

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, but they ought to know more than most random callers, shouldn't they? That's really the point of calling tech support. They most often don't seem to know even basic Apple tech.

The stats that would be useful is the % of callers who got their question answered satisfactorily by Applecare and the % of calls sent to level 2.; broken down by level. That would show how effective Apple TS is in answering questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.