Apple track pad doesn't connect to keyboard via USB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheBeastman13, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

I have an Apple keyboard with numeric pad that I connect, via USB, to my Macbook and have been looking for a new means of screen navigation because the trackpad on the Macbook is on the fritz. I went to the Apple website to look for a new mouse, preferably a trackpad, and see that the $70 Apple track pad accessory connects via Blutooth? I thought Ive seen on the internet pictures of desktop set-ups where people have the Apple keyboard and trackpad connected together. Am I mistaken or is blutooth the only way to connect the trackpad to my set-up?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Bluetooth is the only way to connect the Magic Track Pad to a Mac.

3. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

The pictures you seen showing the trackpad and keyboard connected are joined by 3rd party pieces. Apple does not make such a device.

4. RMo, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Apple has never made a USB Magic Trackpad. What you're thinking of may be the wireless keyboard (without numeric keypad...though I guess this would work with the wired one too if the edge is the same dimension) with the Magic Trackpad sitting next to it, either with or without various third-party accessories (e.g., MagicWand) that aim to "link" the two in an aesthetically pleasing manner. EDIT: As waw74 clarified below, this is only a phsyical/aesthetic connection of the two devices, not a replacement for the Bluetooth connection.

There are also third-party accessories (e.g., Power Bar) that can replace the battery with a USB-chargeable battery pack, but I don't think that would help the situation you describe.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

the connection that is being talked about by the last 2 posters, is only a physical connection, to keep the pieces sitting next to each other on the table.

The connection to the computer is still via blue tooth.