Apple Trackball Realization Thread

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PowerPC User, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Would you like to see/use an Apple Trackball?!

1. Oh, yes, please!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Ahh, no...

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Maybe.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Other/If it's included standard/See my post

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. PowerPC User macrumors newbie

Alright, who here would like to see a new peripheral pointing device that is the Apple Trackball?

It may not be a great idea, if you've never really used a trackball before, but once you use one you know how more comfortable and easier it can be, compared to a conventional mouse-pointing device.

I would suggest a wired and wireless type. Hey, why not both! Battery operable, With a detachable USB cable. Neat! :D

You may want more precision and stuff, however, that's what tablets, pens and mice are about. We're talking about everyday (normal) (few hours a day?) use. And who knows it may even become an excuse to use and maintain your Mac.

EDIT: Also, we/Apple, just has to figure out which best ball to use, as they are heavy and can get lost. So, maybe a new casing-enclosure, or some other idea. Please post. XD

Yes, trackballs are that much fun! :p

Happy posting! :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple created the mouse as it is today (shut up, I know there were others first. Apple capitalized on it first.). They're moving to multitouch. The mouse is dead. They'll never make a trackball.

3. PowerPC User thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, interesting.
    I know it's kind of like a joke to state an "Apple Trackball", however, threads like this does help in making new devices/ideas (wired & wireless devices with detachable cables), and shows that what they (Apple) have, yes, is actually pretty great, like multitouch, etc.

Please feel free to continue posting Tallest Skil and everyone. :)
    This is just the beginning (third, well second post)!

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

While I'm all for the death of the mouse, they need to figure out a way to do it without giving me arm fatigue first. Can you imaging having it extended all day to touch the screen?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    surface computing eventually? then you wouldn't have to reach out your fatigued arms. I'm still hoping to see sleek tablet computing in the future. One day I'm sure. :)

6. PowerPC User thread starter macrumors newbie

A reply! :D

Uhh, so it's just like they need to come up with and implement a nice standard way of doing "gestures" and stuff like alternate forms of Command-Control-Key-Shortcuts. And that can do a lot of basic stuff in one go with pre-set parameters that you can adjust at different times, or whiled executing and or holding on to a "modifier key-area". (A layered rotating smaller to different areas of the screen interface that allows you to customize what must always be on the screen (that is to say the customizable portion of the interface...))

Alright, so now, what type of trackballs does anybody reading this and care to type up, have?! Or like?!

You may even pretend you have a trackball and you want to see features or uses. Well, please state truly why no one is really using a trackball or its not more widely in use...or why YOU don't use or just try one/it out!! lol :D (Other than the cost-factor, because the good ones are kind of like over $50-$100. And on a better note, did you know the track ball device stays stationary, and you can just quickly *flick/turn* the wheel with minimal effort in moving the cursor long distances, etc. etc.)

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Forget multi-touch, lets go Neural Interface! :p
    User thinks, the computer does. ;)

8. arsenalgear macrumors member

Sign me up! :cool:

9. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

There's plenty of trackballs on the market. If you like it, go and buy it. Why should Apple reinvent the wheel (so to speak) and come up with their own? They make a mouse and keyboard because those are standard PC peripherals and they aren't going to bundle some other manufacturer's product. Why would Apple bundle a trackball with Macs when a mouse is what the public is familiar with?

10. PowerPC User thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that has already been stated here, like this:

Also, already stated:

Well, look at their others products. I for one, would like an alternative to the 'Mighty Mouse', and would rather use some "fun" product that it would have to be, to always be bundled with a Mac. Maybe, even both a mouse AND a trackball...

That's like stating people post in threads because that's the way people communicate.

Well, there's many other forms of 'communication' to even 'computers'.

And it doesn't mean Apple will use, and/or continue to use "standard PC peripherals". Check out there history line-up. And because technology is not even standardized really in a way, when you have to continue to buy some standard connection device, (drivers) and hard drive storage format-type and OS may and do start using different formats, you'll realize, that we still have to use certain devices, and would like to because there is already good enough "products"/devices to use, and there is even better for the good enough. Hence, healthier/safer for body (arm, wrist, hand, shoulder, back, etc.) pointing device, trackball, that can be used in longer duration more healthily.

Healthy "products" for humans, animals, the environment, our world (is the point, or should be for all "businesses"...)

Apples and oranges aren't sold together, but you can buy them in the same bag, if they are done by weight or not. (Apple devices no matter the weight, are not more pleasurable to use. Are they not?)
    They have bundled other manufacturer's products (software) and or incorporated into their model (Bose Subwoofer, etc.) (as is always the case for all things, really, that are manufactured some way.)

Why are you asking this?
    I'm the one asking this in a better way. Reread the whole thread? :p

LOL XD

Oh, so everyones going to continue using a mouse?! Just cause they are familiar?! Is that it. If the trackball was familiar, maybe people would actually use it more.

This thread is to not find negative ways, as the way all things are being "run" in this day&ag should not concentrate on.

It's about coming up with better model and design for use by HUMANs,
    not just what some commercial is trying to tell you.
    Not all the stuff that is against right away.

A way to continue living in a world where there is openness in all forms and aspects of government, economy, society in all respects that must be viewed in a more optimistic and not too extreme positive or negative form, that is healthy to progress in all aspects of "living" and interaction.

Thus, I reiterate, this is the
    Apple Trackball Realization Thread! :D

Happy posting! :rolleyes:

11. Purple Pelican macrumors member

I use my logitech marble mouse with my laptop and imac. In fact, the two of them have been used for over 5 years each. I would KILL to have a nice, apple-branded trackball, ONLY IF it has a right-click.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It have to be better than the Expert. I wouldnt trade mine for much.

13. PowerPC User thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, nice ones.

Did some research and the addition of the "Scroll Ring®" (encircling the ball) on the Expert Mouse® from Kensington, is like most excellent. And that is like, The Ultimate Trackball.

It would seem like the next progression would be some kind of indicator(s), like lights, sounds, small display or something along those lines that is part of the whole 'set-up' of a (Mac) computer, for display/design, use/productivity, etc. :)

I use the Marble® Mouse by Logitech, also. And it was because of a low budget choice for a peripheral.

It would seem trackballs also last longer than mice/mouse for computers, since you don't actually move the thing around and such.

Alright.
    So, that's like the standard spectrum for trackballs. Though, yes, there are others, such as portable, small notebook-type use trackballs, and ones where the trackball is used mostly with the thumb, and fingers for buttons, etc.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The scroll ring is the best way to scroll hands down. Like I said, an Apple trackball would have to be better than the Expert.