Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I recently bought an M1 MacBook Air. I traded my 2018 Macbook Pro in as part of the transaction. Apple gave me a quote of $890. I just received an email from Phobio, who Apple apparently uses for the trade-in program. The offer was reduced to $310. The reason provided was:

"After inspection we have found minor cosmetic wear and tear to your device that is associated with normal daily usage. For documentation purposes we’ve included photos."

This is absurd. The computer was in mint condition with so significant scratches, chips, dents, etc. on the body and a pristine screen. The "photos" they provided turned out to be a single photo (attached) that seems to be of one corner of my computer (standing up vertically; the computer on the right that you can see the keyboard on is not mine—my MBP was space grey, not aluminum).

This feels like a total scam. Had I known that the quote would be reduced this much (for no reason), I may have made a different purchase decision. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to call Apple to see if they can do anything. I'm furious.

Attachments

• 957879_1607449021062.jpg
    957879_1607449021062.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 430

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Uh, another victim of Phobio.

Sorry man. I got burned by Phobio on an iPhone trade in, as have dozens of others reporting in here.

I even spent 30 minutes on the phone with Apple support earlier this week asking about bringing my trade-in into a retail store (they said no) in efforts to avoid Phobio. I ended up selling the computer elsewhere, but post like yours reenforce my goal to avoid using Apple Trade-In/Phobio in the future.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
The company is notorious for doing this. For some reason Apple continues to use Phobio as their subcon even though there are a ton of horror stories. My guess is that they continue to use them simply because Phobio has the capacity to handle the volume Apple gets. (Whenever anyone uses Phobio, I strongly recommend taking a video of your device to show every inch of the device as you are packing it, and take pictures of the packaging material used, as you never know if they might do something like this and then send you back a damaged device.)

You could give Apple a call but I am not sure how much they can do. You might be better off telling them to return the Mac and selling it to Mac Me An Offer, which is a very credible company to do business with.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Phobio does have a bad reputation for this kind of thing. Any online site like Phobio puts the process in writing and informs the consumer of the possibility of a lower quote once the device is inspected. As such, you can’t rightfully say scam in that regard. If I was examining with a MR buyer’s eye as many here do, I would have deducted $75 - $100 from the quote.

Next time make sure to read what you are agreeing to, instead of blindly tapping on accept the terms etc.
In the future, don’t depend on this kind of trade-in when buying a new device. Wait until you have money in hand before you go buying new toys.

Sell privately as that will give you a little more control over the price that is acceptable to you.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Apple said they are going to dispute it. We'll see what happens. But this is the last time I'll do it this way. Thanks.

csupinski

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Cape Canaveral, Florida
I was very uneasy about trading in my MacBook Pro (Late 2016), especially with "up to" in the estimated value. I take extremely good care of everything I own and it literally looked like it was just out of the box. Thankfully they gave me the $710 I was quoted! I do hope that those of you who were shafted are able to sell your devices for as much as possible.

Jim Benedetto

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
I recently bought an M1 MacBook Air. I traded my 2018 Macbook Pro in as part of the transaction. Apple gave me a quote of $890. I just received an email from Phobio, who Apple apparently uses for the trade-in program. The offer was reduced to $310. The reason provided was:

"After inspection we have found minor cosmetic wear and tear to your device that is associated with normal daily usage. For documentation purposes we’ve included photos."

This is absurd. The computer was in mint condition with so significant scratches, chips, dents, etc. on the body and a pristine screen. The "photos" they provided turned out to be a single photo (attached) that seems to be of one corner of my computer (standing up vertically; the computer on the right that you can see the keyboard on is not mine—my MBP was space grey, not aluminum).

This feels like a total scam. Had I known that the quote would be reduced this much (for no reason), I may have made a different purchase decision. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to call Apple to see if they can do anything. I'm furious.
I just received my revised trade-in quote from $370 down to $130. “Buttons or keys not working.” Ridiculous! Every key and button worked perfectly when I sent it in. PLEASE CONTACT ME WHEN A CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT GETS FILED AGAINST THESE CONSUMER FRAUDSTERS!

• Angry
Reactions: peachpup

Iciblues

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
We sent in an iPad Pro 12.9 inch from the 2017-18 timeframe with the increased memory capacity available in mint condition. We were supposed to get $375 from Apple trade in and they sent back a photo saying there was screen burn in and offering $65. I requested my device back and was sent a device with sticker residue, scratches on the back, and a different screen issue (laminate issues - bright edge) than the one they sent photos of (center screen area burn-in). What a total scam. Plus, they had me remove my device from my Apple account prior to sending it in so I’m basically screwed. Infuriating!

Last edited:

peachpup

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
We sent in an iPad Pro 12.9 inch from the 2017-18 timeframe with the highest memory capacity available in mint condition. We were supposed to get $375 from Apple trade in and they sent back a photo saying there was screen burn in and offering $65. I requested my device back and was sent a device with sticker residue, scratches on the back, less memory, and a different screen issue than the one they sent photos of and claimed was mine. What a total scam. Plus, they had me remove the device from my Apple account prior to sending it in so I’m basically screwed on proving it isn’t my original device. Infuriating!
It's stories like this that have me really considering going with a Windows machine for future purchases. I have several Windows machines but my Macbook Pro IS my workhorse. Apple's Customer Support has gone to "hell" (pardon my french) the past few years. I have had 3-4 incidents of sending apple prodects back to them (AppleCare - Beats Pro Earuds/2 Macbook Pro's) and not being satisfied at all. Very dissatisfied. Long stories. But my faith in Apple is shattering.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It's stories like this that have me really considering going with a Windows machine for future purchases. I have several Windows machines but my Macbook Pro IS my workhorse. Apple's Customer Support has gone to "hell" (pardon my french) the past few years.
Keep in mind that Apple is subbing out the trade-in service. These stories are not about Apple directly...

Reactions: peachpup

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Exactly.
Selling your old iPhones. iMacs directly to another will get you more money, but has it's own problems.
Apple is subbing out its trade-ins to the lowest bidder; I doubt any PC manufacturer will do better.
FWIW, I bought the "bits and pieces" of my Windows machines from the usual suspects for years and upgraded those parts when appropriate and couldn't really "trade them in".
So, I just find a "reasonable" trade-in business for my Apple gear.. I wouldn't do business with Phhocio.

peachpup

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Keep in mind that Apple is subbing out the trade-in service. These stories are not about Apple directly...
yes, you are correct. But Apple is ultmately responsible and it is not a good look. They also sub out their "APPLE CARE" repair work as well. I've had my MBP's sent to Jacksonsville (repair center) and Texas (repair center) .. those centers handle many different vendors. The one in Texas does not have good reviews. Early on, Apple Care and coverage could not be beat. Now, it's hit or miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.