Apple trade-in options/questions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tyler23, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I was finally able to reserve a Series 4 SS for in-store pickup. I originally had ordered for delivery (expected delivery was 11/16-19).

With my delivery, I had also set up the Apple Watch trade-in through Apple. Now that I am going to pick it up in store, I am wondering what my options are.

Ideally, I'd like to get the value of the watch (my quote was $225) either refunded to my credit card or applied to the purchase.

I'm wondering what options I have. Can I trade it in at the store and, if so, can they refund the card used to purchase the new watch, or would the only option be a gift card?

Second, could I still set up the trade-in where I ship in the watch and, if so, can they refund the card in this case, or is the only option a gift card?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with some clarification.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Keep it simple.

Don’t set up trade with the order for pickup.

Tell the rep in-store you want to trade.

They’ll handle it. Might take a few minutes.

Worked fine for me. Got my $$$ back on my credit card.

3. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Here's what I did.

• Forget the mail-in.
    • Before going to the store. Unpair and remove the old watch from your iCloud account (I didn't do that so when I got to the store, they entered the old watch serial number into their app and it said the watch was not eligible for trade. The store had no idea why. I had to go home, call 1-800-Apple, troubleshoot, get an explanation, unpair and then go back to the store. Then it worked.)
    • Take your old watch to the store when you pick up your new one.
    • Explain you're doing a trade and say you want the refund applied to your credit card.
    • 3-4 days later the refund hits your credit card account. Done.

4. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thanks both for the info.

With the watch I'm trading in, do I just need the watch body itself, or do I need to bring any bands/charger/box along with it?

5. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Just the watch body. You get to keep the rest.

6. newellj macrumors 604

Chiming in to confirm that my wife and I had the same experiences outlined above. Bring just the watch with you. It was easy and quick. We also unpaired our watches before we got to the store, which made the process quicker.

7. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Oh yeah, don't forget to take the credit card (iPhone if you used Apple Pay) that you used to purchase the new watch. They need it to process the refund.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Strictly speaking they will use any card. I’d bought via Apple pay and used a physical card for refund. Different numbers.

9. kevink2 macrumors 65816

That is unexpected, but nice. I'm used to my Nike band from my Series 2. Thinking of buying myself the 4 for my December birthday.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep. Put my trades-in S3 nike band on my s4 SBSS and had an extra charger. Win all around.

11. newellj macrumors 604

Yeah, this is true and almost funny. I had used two different ApplePay cards last year and we couldn't figure out whether they matched current cards, though I knew we still had cards with the two different banks. (From time to time, Citibank and BofA both seem to randomly replace cards with new numbered-cards.). Zero problems with that. The credit came through on the current cards.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    It is nice, and it's worth something. Having spare charging cords is definitely convenient, and not paying for them is nice. Like you, I also like my old Nike band, and immediately it on the new watch. I actually took it to the store with me when I went to get the new watch... ;)