Apple Trade In Program?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RKilbane20, Sep 11, 2014.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

So apple is giving 205 dollars in store credit for my iPhone 5. But if I preorder online then my card will be charged the full price. How do you get the 205 dollar towards the iPhone without my card being billed the full amount?

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

You don't. You will get a credit after the trade-in and activation is complete.

3. vaultwit macrumors regular

I also am wondering about this. So is the Apple trade-in offer not applicable to those pre-ordering the iPhone 6/6+ on the 12th? If it is, how/what do we pay at the time of the pre-order since we won't physically be giving our old iPhone to Apple until the 19th?

4. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Subscribing to this as I have been wondering the same thing.

5. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

You have a little patience and wait until they have the phone you want in the Apple store and you trade in your old one and use that money on the purchase of the new phone. That's what I'm gonna do. I don't have to be the first one on the block with the new iPhone.

6. SBRtakeover macrumors newbie

So if i line up on the day of launch, trade in my iphone 5, and use the credits towards iphone 6, it should work right?

7. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I thought they gave you a gift card for it's value? Can anyone confirm?

8. KisakiSama macrumors member

KisakiSama

My question is if the quote on the site today will be the same as what they offer on launch day. I'd rather do it all at once if I can, but I'll go somewhere else if their quotes will drop.

9. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

They do but they use it on the spot to purchase your new phone. If you have a spare phone to use, you could go to the Apple store right now and turn in your old iPhone for the gift card and then use it when you buy the new iPhone.

10. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

That's what I want to do. So I will call my local Apple store when I am done with work which is soon. I can go a few days with out a phone lol.

11. ame8199 macrumors 6502

so already paid for my new iPhone 6 though the next program with ATT. I want to trade in my iPhone 5 with apple for 205.

Will I just get a gift card for that amount? Can I use it for a later purchase, like an iPad or macbook air?

12. aje4ever macrumors newbie

You will just get a gift card. Apple isn't interested in having providers keep their customers so what they do is actually have you pre-order the item, pay for it at the price you pre-ordered it and use the gift card to pay other things at the store. You are not allowed to use that card toward the purchase of the phone.

The best you can do is if you really want the gift card used toward the purchase of the device, wait on the whole deal, let the christmas toy effect Apple has on everyone and when it's available for the Christmas Season, yeah, you'll get at least $30-40 dollars less than you would get today, it could be way less, but not by much, you'll pay the difference, avoid the scam both Apple and providers are doing with customers, and there you have it -- your iPhone 6 of your choice.

I wouldn't go for getting these if you can't trade your old device and put that gift card they give you toward the purchase of a new iPhone. This program only works for people who will stand in line like kids waiting for Santa Claus who can trade their iPhone on-site and then buy the iPhone as well. I spoke with Apple this morning and they told me:

You pre-ordered, which means, you already bought it. You can't come into an Apple Store and take part in the program thinking that you'll get a gift card to put it toward the new iPhone. There are many things you can 'buy' with the gift card like Beats headphones, iPods, and the like. That's what people who trade in their device and pre-ordered get, to use the gift card ONLY for things in the store, not toward the purchase of their new iPhone.

I hope this helps!

13. ame8199, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

ame8199 macrumors 6502

well just talked to apple which Im even more confused now by the previous reply. They said that I have to use the credit towards a new phone if i trade in my phone...

Ok, nevermind...I'll just sell it to my mom for my dad for Christmas :) I give up!

14. aje4ever macrumors newbie

That's correct. I should correct myself.

It's best to wait at least til the holidays. People will move their attention from iPhone to iPad by then so if you wanted to get it, you could then.

That's what I'm doing. I'm bummed I won't be getting the phone for a while, but I also have to learn self respect and apple or carriers aren't doing that when they have kids asking for their toys metaphorically speaking.

15. danielsmu macrumors regular

The manager at the apple store in my area said they could do a return and re-buy with the gift card if I wanted to do a trade in on launch day and have it apply towards the new phone.

Seems like it would be easy enough with just crediting the amount back then purchasing again with the trade in gift card, but I guess that depends on if the process screws up my upgrade eligibility or not too.

Anyone hearing anything along these lines or able to provide any other insight on this?

16. aham23 macrumors regular

terms and conditions.

its all right there for ya. later.

17. andrewxie macrumors member

I did the Apple recycle program online, basically you mail your device to them, they evaluate it then email you a apple gift card, you can add it to your passbook app right away. I am still not sure you can do in-store trade in tho.

18. ame8199 macrumors 6502

O no, I have a 6 on its way. I don't want to trade in my 5 for my 6. I wanted to trade my 5 for just a gift card that I can hold on to until the new iPads comes out

19. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I stopped by my local Apple store and asked the manager about bringing a phone in that was pre-ordered on line and getting the Apple gift card. She said no problem. As long as the phone was ordered through Apple directly, and you bring the box for the new one, or receipt, they will issue an Apple gift card for it.

20. aje4ever macrumors newbie

Different Apple Stores operate differently. That's lucky you for your store, but mine will not. I've called several in the NYC area where I'm at and this is not the case at all because of the hype.

21. minimac macrumors member

I picked up my preorder at the Apple Store today and I was not able to apply my trade-in to the purchase. It was already paid for during the preorder.

The only way around this is to return the phone and then purchase a new one in store using the gift card (if they have the phone you want in stock). I have 14 days to return the phone.