iPhone XS Apple trade in program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vandrv, Dec 1, 2018.

1. vandrv macrumors regular

I currently have an Iphone 6s and am thinking about upgrading to an Iphone xs. I see Apple is offering a $200. trade in n the 6s. I'm wondering how this works? If I buy a phone from Apple to use on the Verizon network, how will the trade in be applied, assuming I buy in an Apple store? Will my monthly payments be lowered by the $200, if I finance the phone?

2. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

I just did this today. The fact that are willing to give me $200 as a convenient trade-in for my 6s that is worth less than that is what pushed me over the edge to get an XR. In effect, $549 for the XR.

You have to complete the trade-in signup at Apple.com, which will show the $200, then do the purchase of the new phone right there online. When the phone is delivered (or picked up) you will be sent a box and shipping label and you ship the phone back to their trade-in partner. Then they will give a $200 credit to the form of payment that you used online to pay the sales tax (and whatever else you purchased, such as Applecare, etc.) This trade-in is an Apple program that has nothing to do with your carrier.

Note: If you choose to pick up the phone at a store do NOT bring your 6s there to trade in -- you won't get the extra $100.

3. vandrv thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this. I was thinking about maybe buying a used Iphone X and selling my 6s but this seems like it would wind up being a better way to go. I just wasn't sure how the $200 credit was applied.

4. fryrice macrumors member

Thx for sharing this info. I plan to trade in my 6s as well...however I have 2 6s, you think I will get $400 total in credits towards 1 phone?

5. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

It looks like one device trade-in per phone purchased..

6. appleoverload macrumors newbie

you can take the phone in store and do everything instore for instant credit off the phone or a gift card

there's no need to do the trade in signup online or ship your phone in they do it all in store

i did it yesterday at the apple store with a 6 to get a XR for $150 off

7. 0970373, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

0970373 Suspended

Not sure if it's the same program but I did the trade w/ the Apple Watch. I sent the AW3 when the AW4 arrived and expected a credit to my account. When the Apple Partner (Phobio) received my watch and confirmed the amount, it was for $0 instead of the $225. I couldn't understand the reasoning as it was in excellent condition but the reason was "Obvious Signs of Physical Screen Damage." I was so confused and opted to have them return the AW3 to me.

When it arrived, the screen was cracked. I was pissed. Long story not-as-long, I contacted Apple and after a few calls and requests for upper management to call me, they agreed to replace the screen. They actually just took the cracked watch and gave me a refurb AW3. I sent the AW4 back for a full refund. Good on Apple to making it right.

Anyway, do it in store if possible.

8. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

You can trade multiple devices.

However, they will only give you the larger promotional amount for one device per purchase. For example, the previous trade amount for a 6 plus was $100. The promo trade amount if you buy an XS or XR is $200. If you bring 2 6 pluses, they will credit one for $200, and give you a $100 gift card for the other (which you are allowed to use immediately on your purchase).

I just did this in an Apple store Friday.

9. tardman91 macrumors 65816

tardman91

Yes, I did this with two iPhone 6 devices in store on Friday.

This is not necessarily true, but was one of three responses I got when asking questions to Apple phone reps. Along with that, one told me it depends on the store, and another told me I could definitely trade in multiple devices to get the credit.
    I went to the Tampa store on Friday and let them know I had two devices I wanted to trade in for an XR. Before they got the phone or rang it up or anything they performed two separate trade-in transactions on my two 6, giving me a $150 gift card for each. Then they got the phone and I paid for it on a third transaction and used both gift cards. So yes, it seems you can get the promotional credit for multiple devices. I’m fairly certain I could have left with just my gift cards and not even had to purchase the XR. I’m pretty positive it won’t work like that through the website though.

10. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Cool that this worked for you!

11. tardman91 macrumors 65816

tardman91

Yes. After initially being disappointed that I wouldn’t get the double credit for both of my phones, I was fully prepared for a situation like you described. I don’t know if I just got an associate that didn’t know any better, or what, but I left incredibly happy.
    Now my wife wasn’t thrilled that she got my 8+ hand me down, but that’s a different story. lol

12. doboy macrumors 68020

FYI, I was able to trade in my 6s+ for $250 Apple store gift card without purchasing anything.