Apple Trade ins (anyone used?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ri0ku, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ri0ku, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I only just found out Apple have a trade in program (I new there was a recyling one but didint know you could trade in stuff towards new products)

Has anyone used this before? if so how did it go and is it worth it?

Im thinking about possibly selling my current MBP to get one of the new ones but dont really want to use ebay incase some idiot buyer screws me over...

Im guessing the trade in quotes from apple will be pretty low

Edit: Nevermind, found a couple of threads and people have been quoted terrible prices. Guess Il just keep a hold of mine

2. timscole macrumors newbie

I've not personally used the Apple trade in thing, but I think my sister did. It was "fine" for her, but you will almost certainly get more from selling your MBP on eBay.

Its pretty much a routine for me now, I by my new mac, transfer the data and put the old one up on eBay. I've sold 4 or 5 I think in the last few years and never had a problem. (May be I am just lucky) My experience has been very good and I've always made more than sites like mac2sell, etc. have valued my macs at.

Bottom line: if you want to be 100% safe then use the apple thing... if you want to get the most you can for your old mac then use eBay or similar.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

There's no reason it won't work just fine but you'll probably lose about 20-30% of what you could have got for the computer by selling it on ebay/craigslist. I looked into but I'll be able to get more elsewhere and not have to wait. It gives you an approximate value but then you have to send in your computer and then wait while they inspect and determine an actual value so you could get even less.

4. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Or more?

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I haven't used it but them being a business they wouldn't stipulate that they need to look at and test the computer before finalizing your payment if it was going to be more. I would say your quote on the website represents a best case scenario and if they were going to pay you more for said scenario they would tell you up front to entice you into using the service. If not there's no reason for doing it because by that point you've already committed to using the service. Make sense?