Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Re: OS of the Future

Originally posted by jaedreth
What Apple needs is a quasi-ai OS.

Visualize having a microphone as a standard and built in input device.

As you sit down at your computer, the iSight senses you're sitting in your chair, and recognizes your visual profile and opens up your user...

A lot of people in offices (cubicles) will never be able to use speach recognition because of the office noise issues, BUT your mentionning iSight made me think that maybe the computer could be taught to read lips. Then you could silently mouth the words when in the company of others, like when entering passwords, and speak the words out loud otherwise. Maybe, when in an environment where sound isn't an issue, the software could combine the inputs of the sound and the lip movements, to improve accuracy. What do you think?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: OS of the Future

Originally posted by MarkCollette
A lot of people in offices (cubicles) will never be able to use speach recognition because of the office noise issues, BUT your mentionning iSight made me think that maybe the computer could be taught to read lips. Then you could silently mouth the words when in the company of others, like when entering passwords, and speak the words out loud otherwise. Maybe, when in an environment where sound isn't an issue, the software could combine the inputs of the sound and the lip movements, to improve accuracy. What do you think?

This is actually already being tested. I remember hearing about it but I don't remember where. I think IBM is doing it. They are combining the microphone with a camera in an attempt to achieve 100% accuracy.

JLL

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Re: Re-using the same cat

Originally posted by jettredmont
Actually, leopards and jaguars are quite different. Panther and jaguar are different colorations of the same (north american cat) species.

There seems to be many definitions of Panthers.

A Panther is also a black leopard.

Balooba

macrumors member
May 27, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re-using the same cat

Originally posted by JLL
There seems to be many definitions of Panthers.

A Panther is also a black leopard.

Actually, there are three different species that all are called Panther.

1. The leopard, but especially used for black individuals (e.g. Bagheera). Lives in in India and Africa. (latin Panthera pardus)
2. Another name of the American Jaguar (latin Felis onca). No mention of black jaguars as far as I can find...
3. Another name of the yellowish American cat with the many names Puma, Cougar, Mountain lion,Catamount, etc. (latin Felis concolor).

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Panther

Panther is also used in connotation (as opposed to denotation) as any large black cat of said genus. Thus if you saw an all black lion, you could, if you *really* wanted to, call it a panther. But if you do see an all black lion, let me know, I gotta see that.

*joking*

Jaedreth

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Panther

Panther is also used in connotation (as opposed to denotation) as any large black cat of said genus. Thus if you saw an all black lion, you could, if you *really* wanted to, call it a panther. But if you do see an all black lion, let me know, I gotta see that.

*joking*

Jaedreth

Correct, also black cats happen in all species and it is quite common for a large black cat to be called a Black Panther as if it were a species even though no such animal actually exists. It is also correct to call a Tiger or Lion a Panther in that it denotes the Genus.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
But the fact is that all the names usually denote fast, sleek cats.
Yeah. Except lions. Who are fat. And lazy.

You know what would be funny? If lions really did live in the jungle. I mean, not funny "haha" but funny "uh-oh" because a fat lazy lion wouldn't last a week in the jungle. Anyway.

<----[Doesn't like lions]

Howabout the last version be named after hairless cats? According to MJK they're "emotionally more like dogs."

Everyone loves a ****** ***** anyway.

:rolleyes:
:D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Yeah. Except lions. Who are fat. And lazy.

You know what would be funny? If lions really did live in the jungle. I mean, not funny "haha" but funny "uh-oh" because a fat lazy lion wouldn't last a week in the jungle. Anyway.

<----[Doesn't like lions]

Howabout the last version be named after hairless cats? According to MJK they're "emotionally more like dogs."

Everyone loves a ****** ***** anyway.

:rolleyes:
:D

Female lions are anything but fat and lazy. Also you would appear lazy also if you lived in the African Savannah and wore a fur coat. In any case how lazy would they look if they were chasing you down?:D

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Originally posted by MacBandit
Female lions are anything but fat and lazy. Also you would appear lazy also if you lived in the African Savannah and wore a fur coat. In any case how lazy would they look if they were chasing you down?:D
There was an episode of Crocodile Hunter where he was getting eyeballed pretty intensely by a pride of lions. I've seen a lot of scary stuff on that show but that just about topped it.

And no, he was not in a Jeep at the time...of course...psycho.

Anyway. Ever seen...what was it...the Ghost and the Darkness?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
There was an episode of Crocodile Hunter where he was getting eyeballed pretty intensely by a pride of lions. I've seen a lot of scary stuff on that show but that just about topped it.

And no, he was not in a Jeep at the time...of course...psycho.

Anyway. Ever seen...what was it...the Ghost and the Darkness?

No I haven't watched it but I will someday. There are few things scarier on this planet then being out unprotected in the open being eyed by a large predator in there domain and knowing that THEY are on the top of the food chain.

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Oh blah, lions think they're so tough with their claws and their things with those things, but pit them against a blue whale and I'd like to see who the king of the tundra really is. Frickin blue whale would tear him up old skool with its dreaded echo sonar attack. OS X.4 Insane Blue Whale, now that'd be a killer title. Put those danged cats back in their place with the whatnot. wurd.

[This message brought to you by crack]

Pancake

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
Oh yes, and I'd love to see a blue whale survive on land, and FYI, there is no dreaded sonar attack.

That what they want you to think, then BAM, you've been sonared like a ton of bricks! Then the whale will break out a trumpet and start playing TAPS at your own funeral.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Mac OS X vs AIX

For clarification, I said *as* robust *as* AIX.

How much longer has IBM been working on AIX? How old is the operating system?

Contrary to popular belief, I am *not* dissing Avie or his crew. They are a bunch of incredibly talented people.

However, not even NeXT was *as* robust as AIX. Sure, the interface rocked, but purely as a UNIX based operating system, it was still young.

As is OS X.

Simple fact is that OS X is a young UNIX-based operating system.

It's not officially a UNIX due to lack of POSIX compliance, but whether that is due to licensing only issues or not, we can only guess...

However, I had to *download* and *install* very basic unix programs that will come with every posix compliant unix I've ever seen. Thus it's not very mature. I had to install pine and lynx. (I installed Mutt and BitchX because I like them better than pine and ircii.)

Also as previous people have noted, it's not nearly as fast as it could be, as well as all the nifty things in it could all use cementing code, make them more stable, more responsive, etc. Basically they need to finish what they've started, not just start on a bunch of new features and never get around to perfecting the old ones.

Perhaps Panther will change a lot of this. If Panther turns out to be as good as Apple makes it seem, then Panther will do a *lot* for the OS's overall maturity. But I'm going to have to see it.

I'm not dissing Apple's people. I'm saying with all the brains Apple has, they currently cannot make a young unix-based operating system into a mature and fully featured unix operating system in any short amount of time.

And I don't feel that is an unreasonable statement.

Jaedreth

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
No I haven't watched it but I will someday. There are few things scarier on this planet then being out unprotected in the open being eyed by a large predator in there domain and knowing that THEY are on the top of the food chain.
From what I understand the movie is based on real events, but I have yet to research that and verify how close the movie is to anything that really happened.

It's a pretty good movie considering I don't care much for Val Kilmer and I still liked it a lot. BTW, it may take you half the movie to a whole one-and-a-half viewings to figure out he's trying to do an Irish accent if no one tips you off.

BTW, does anyone here know what the species that supposedly preceeded the split into canine and feline was called? That would make an interesting transition name. And I can think of at least a few good canine names for an OS.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
Immature OS

Actually I dont know too much about OSs especially Unices and of course I have no clue what sort of programming brains Apple has but if refinement, finish, responsiveness and speed it your request from their OS well Panther will please you. I have been using the DP and well if nothing else it is FAST - most apps load in half the time they do in Jag - respinsive and seems much more refined then Jag. I think that this will be a release of OS X that will bring it a lot closer to maturity. My opinion form OS X (been using it only since 10.2 after buying my first Mac last feb) is that it is a superb OS. It needs improvements like speed and responsiveness and little things that make it seem less professional and mature than it should be. However I think this reflects the effort of Apple to produce more and more in home software. Maybe people were taken out of the OS production and put in other projects. But in my opinion it is the best OS right now for a consumer desktop machine and with quite a big lead too.... Linux needs a looooooong way to get user friendly enough to where my grandma can use it and Windows needs an even looooooonger way to be enarly as stable and user friendly as OS X. So bugs or not it is and seems to be for quite a while

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Re: Mac OS X vs AIX

It's not officially a UNIX due to lack of POSIX compliance, but whether that is due to licensing only issues or not, we can only guess...

POSIX compliance is not a good criterion to determine if an OS is truly Unix or not. Windows NT is POSIX compliant. Is it Unix?

However, I had to *download* and *install* very basic unix programs that will come with every posix compliant unix I've ever seen. Thus it's not very mature. I had to install pine and lynx. (I installed Mutt and BitchX because I like them better than pine and ircii.)

Sorry if I sound like a philistine, but I don't think you can judge an operating system based on whether or not it has a version of some ancient text-based UNIX programs! Especially not if that's what you're trying to evolve from!

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Stafordshire -- smart, attractive, über friendly, and pit-bull like "don't f*** with my owner" qualities. My favorite breed, bar none...and an international flavor name. I wuv da witto Staffies!

Doberman -- more international flair. Very, very smart (alternative to GS cop-dog), extremely fast, ferally ferocious, and hardly a better breed around when properly trained.

Malamute -- Wild (husky looking) also smart and friendly. Gorgeous breed. Don't know too much else about their qualities.

Lupis -- Apple's "this is a badass OS" OS name.

OK, I'm out for now.

Oh wait -- Chihuahua -- weak, annoying, loud, and has a penchant for junk food.

[Edit] Phil: I agree, I don't know why Apple would be expected to include legacy software with their modern implementation of the *NIX kernel. For the *NIX power users out there, you should just be happy that you can use the software on something other than a true *NIX OS.

SubGothius

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I don't know about "fat" -- large and furry, yes, but only somewhat fat for a brief while after digesting a fresh meal; they need to hunt new prey when they run out of fat stored from eating their last victim. IIRC, Desmond Morris pointed out that "a sleepy lion is a successful lion". If they ever look lazy, it's because they're digesting another animal that they recently killed and ate. If a lion hasn't eaten lately, they're far from lazy, nevermind fat.

Mac OS X v10.9 "Lion": Must hunt, kill, and consume other OSen regularly in order to function (but runs a bit sluggish for a while after each conquest). :D

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
$129? Not for me...

Originally posted by psxndc
I hate MS as musch as the next Mac nut, but let's be real here: XP Professional is $199. OS X is $129. I've had XP for about a year now and MS isn't expecting me to buy an upgrade this year. I bought Jaguar at launch last August and Apple is expecting me to shell out another $129 for Panther. The initial cost of XP is greater, but spread over the 2-3 years between upgrades, it's not as expensive as keeping an up-to-date Mac.

My educational discount makes me feel so superior. Your copy of Panther may cost $129, but mine will only be $69 dollars, assuming Apple keeps the current pricing (please!).

BTW, perhaps you could find a long-lost family member involved in education who could hook you up with Panther at the educational discount.

<edit>
my contribution to the possible dog-names for OS 11:
cockapoo - half cockerspaniel, half poodle

Although the marketing geniuses down at Apple might think the name too suggestive, it is a real breed (or cross-breed) of dog. My dog is a cockapoo.
</edit>

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Re: Mac OS X vs AIX

However, I had to *download* and *install* very basic unix programs that will come with every posix compliant unix I've ever seen. Thus it's not very mature.

Ok, the very idea that the inclusion of pine is the benchmark for a mature OS is laughable. These basic applications are available. Just because apple chooses not to ship them with the default install doesn't make OSX immature.

As far as Apple only working on OSX for a few years, even NeXt didn't create it from scratch. But I don't think I need to go through a history of BSD here.

There are a lot of nice features in AIX, the LVM being the first one that comes to mind, but I don't think my mom or I need 90% of them. Or Pine for that matter... OSX has a completely different market focus than AIX. I'd rather the talented people at Apple spent their time improving iTunes or Safari or Quartz, than implementing a kernel capable of running on 128 processors, or adding a spell checker to Pine.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
A/UX

Has anyone here ever used A/UX? I really wish that apple had used it as the base of OS X instead of NeXT. It was just so well done and so well polished, even if it did look like system 7. I think that's what rhapsody was, correct me if I'm wrong, but whatever.

I'm kind of disappointed in them. Used to be such a great system. But no PPC support, so your stuck with 68k macs. I think I'm going to go cry in the corner now.

*cries* I miss you A/UX!

PS: Apple's OS X spell checker recognizes A/UX as a correctly spelled word. Good to know they still love me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.