Apple Trademarks 'Mobile Me'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacOSXRumors notes that Apple has filed for a trademark for the term "Mobile Me":

The name appears to be under a number of descriptive categories including "telecommunication services", "portable digital electronic devices and software related thereto", "providing digital music from local or global communications networks" and "computer services".

The trademark was filed on January 5th 2006 at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

The rumor site suggests that this may have to do with Apple's speculated entry into the mobile phone market, but appears it may have to do with providing iTunes wirelessly over cell phone networks.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
iPhone!!

Or some sort of portable Skype device. But honestly, it's none of those. I'll agree with the last part; its a way to provide songs over a cellular network.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"Mobile" could mean anything--even home-on-iPod... or (my own wild dream) a pocketable OS X machine that I could connect to any display or keyboard at will, or use as-is with a stylus.

At least it sounds better than "vingle."

condor

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2004
Please, please, please be something to do with the iPhone (or whatever you want to call it). I've been waiting so long...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
pknz said:
MacPhone Pro actually:p
nagromme said:
"Mobile" could mean anything--even home-on-iPod... or (my own wild dream) a pocketable OS X machine
"Mobile Me" sounds like a service trademark, so most likely — NOT a product, but rather, a service or delivery technology of some sort.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yeah it does sound like some type of service, perhaps its software or service from software or something similar.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
condor said:
Please, please, please be something to do with the iPhone (or whatever you want to call it). I've been waiting so long...

Im with ya on this one!!! I would LOVE to have an iPhone!!!! ;)

I'd break my current contract just to get one!! Woohoo! :D

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
the rumor circuits can go wild with this one...here's my crazy idea. Okay so Mobile Me is a service by Apple working in conjunction but not partnered with .Mac that allows the user to upload songs and broadcast them wirelessly to users that receive it via a small adapter on iPods (like iTrip) and on computers via internet connection, and iTunes enabled phones without any other adapters, only needing an email address and password (iTunes account perhaps?).

That would be really neat, allowing people to have access to their music or i guess any file really, wirelessly, like a cell phone. It's a thought at least :)

what else do you guys and dolls think?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
rockthecasbah I think you have hit the nail on the head, an iPhone isnt coming anytime soon

Shadow

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
I was reading a magazine that mentioned the reason why Motorolla are slowly dropping iTunes is because Apple are not happy with way Networks limit the munber of songs and want to charge over-the-top prices for songs.

What was suggested was the Apple (like Virgin in the UK) start their own network provider and then they can put whatever they want onto their phones.

I could really see this working, if Apple wanted to I am sure they could make it into the big three of mobile companies with Nokia and Sony.

Just my turn on things.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Bring on the iPhone! It will be very interesting to see what Apple does with this - I agree, it almost sounds more like a service than anything. Tie it into the iPod and .Mac, and Apple could a really impressive offering! :cool:

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
We should buy out cool website domains containing "mobileme". And sell them back to apple. Personally I'd ask for a $10k apple store spending credit every year. :p

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I can't believe they are putting "Me" in the title. Think of a Microsoft product called "Me". And they just forged a 5 year thing with MS!!! This is all Microsoft's doing!!!

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It sounds more like a PDA to me. Maybe there will be a phone service integrated but I am thinking that with all of the services mentioned it maybe the rebirth of the Apple PDA.

That would allow a bigger screen for TV shows, music videos, movies, web browsing, .Mac services, and all of the other features that iLife and iWorks have to offer.

MobileMac sounds much better.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
longofest said:
I can't believe they are putting "Me" in the title. Think of a Microsoft product called "Me". And they just forged a 5 year thing with MS!!! This is all Microsoft's doing!!!
MS is the first thing I thought of when I saw it. First MacBook Pro and now Mobile Me. Man, what is going on over there in the Apple Naming Division? They are really losing it. Let's not forget OS X and .Mac which don't lend themselves to "proper" reading for newbies. Also, haven't we had enough Extreme products from Apple? If there's an Apple keyword that needs to be retired, it's that, not Power. What's next, Apple Bob or Apple Home Media Center Service Pack 3?

4ik

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2003
I am a lurker, but couldn't resist this one.

It will be a Blackberry with iTunes etc...a little bird that works inside told me:)

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I guess moving into mobile phones with regard to music distribution makes sense. I'm not really that excited about the prospect (but I'm not really a phone fanatic any way).

I think I like Lacero's current avatar the best however (nicely done).

dontblink

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
Lacero said:
"Mobile Me" sounds like a service trademark, so most likely — NOT a product, but rather, a service or delivery technology of some sort.
Definitely a service-kind of trademark, I agree on that.

Blackberry with iTunes? Would it be limited to Blackberry?