Apple Trailers Slow and Choppy

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BarkingGhost, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

I have a pair of 3rd generation Apple TV's in my home. Both use wired Ethernet and are exhibiting the same issue:

I launch [Apple] Trailers and try to watch some movie trailers. The progress bar shows initial buffer and then seems to stall. The trailer begins and then stops because of insufficient buffered data.

I open YouTube and watch the exact same trailer in HD without any issues. Sometimes I can find the trailer in Vimeo as well and have no issue.

I do not know how traffic is handled with this product. If I launch Trailers I expect all traffic to be from Apple's network through my ISP to me, but I am not sure about traffic from places like YouTube and Vimeo, if they do not go through Apple's network.

If YouTube (and Vimeo, etc.) do not go through Apple's network I am suspicious of ISP throttling of Apple native traffic. Anyone else have this issue?

2. bond007hmss macrumors newbie

I've had this problem also ever since switching to Uverse.

I was able to get better performance by switching from the Uverse provided DNS servers to Google's 8.8.8.8 servers. Maybe this will work for you..

3. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

Did you make this DNS change in the Apple TV or in the router/modem it was connected to?

4. bond007hmss macrumors newbie

The apple TV, but only because I Uverse doesn't allow you to alter the DNS on the 2wire because of how it gets TV programming.

5. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

I tried this and it worked! It allowed me to play any HD movie trailer without stalls or other interruptions. I then decided to Google the DNS IP address provided by the ISP and learned it has been having problems for a little while now. Gotta love (ahem, hate) Comcast.

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. bond007hmss macrumors newbie

You're welcome. I'm pretty sure it was initially suggested to me by someone on this forum.