Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Time is the key here. Google got at least 10yrs head start. In time, Apple will catch up and surpass Google map.

----------

Cue the same old complains about Apple map...

So what? Should people be okay with a sub-par service simply because it's newer?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Well at least Apple can be my excuse now.

Wife: WTF were you doing at the love hotel? I logged into your account and saw your phone in Shibuya!

Me: Huh? No no no, Find my iPhone is Apple now. It's all wrong. It's all a big mistake. Don't you remember Apple Maps honey?

Wife: Oh right. Sorry! Never mind!

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Time is the key here. Google got at least 10yrs head start. In time, Apple will catch up and surpass Google map.
Not likely. Google relies on a lot of map data provided by some of the best mapping companies in the world, and some of these companies have been making maps since well before Apple was even created.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Now it's 'Can't Find My iPhone'.

I mean love Google maps but comments like this one of yours are a joke.

----------

Exactly, but people tend to forget a lot. Google maps was never great from the firs year. It took them a decade to perfect it to what it is now.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
You can still select "satellite" view for apple maps

And that would be nice, if the satellite data wasn't also awful:

U6hDilx.png

I hate to say it, but Apple Maps isn't even ready for a beta in some places. A worldwide rollout makes no sense.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I get this with Google Maps from time to time too. I was driving from a normal route on I-79 to I-80/90 and Google Maps alerted me of traffic issues and rerouted me to one lane state roads for 45 minutes. Made no sense since Google Maps or Waze didn't have any signs of bad traffic.

In my case when I was driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta, Google Maps gave me no notification of traffic issues at all. It just modified my route during navigation without saying anything or giving me any visual cues as to what was going on or why a reroute was necessary.

The route modification it made made zero logical sense. For anyone who's not familiar with I-75 in Georgia, the logical detour if there's an accident on I-75 is to use US 41 as an alternate since it largely parallels I-75 through the entire state.

Instead, Google Maps was telling me to get off I-75, drive about 80 miles west to Columbus, GA, then get on I-185 and take that to I-85 and then continue on toward Atlanta. It made absolutely no sense and Google Maps tried telling me to take that same bogus route three times before I finally just closed the app.

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
And that would be nice, if the satellite data wasn't also awful:

I hate to say it, but Apple Maps isn't even ready for a beta in some places. A worldwide rollout makes no sense.

Hmm sorry man. I don't know where you live... maybe the images are just bad there but it might help to zoom out a little bit to see it clearer.

Here's my satellite view

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 11.49.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 11.49.29 AM.png
    787.7 KB · Views: 75

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Hmm sorry man. I don't know where you live... maybe the images are just bad there but it might help to zoom out a little bit to see it clearer.

Here's my satellite view

Yeah, it's like this in many place in Sweden as well as in other parts of Europe. But that's my point: if it's not ready here, don't release it yet. Google Maps has much better maps here.

NotAppleFan1

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
Now it's 'Can't Find My iPhone'.

I agree! I wish software companies would stop changing their products until they've fully tested them out! I rely on Find My IPhone to track my kids, especially my oldest who just started driving, and the new maps are horrendous. The old ones told me exactly where the kids were and now I get maps that give a vague location that could be halfway across town or different if you zoom in or out. As a parent I find this switch to be extremely frustrating. People may not like Google Maps but you can't possibly think this is better.:mad:

bjscheel

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2014
I agree! I wish software companies would stop changing their products until they've fully tested them out! I rely on Find My IPhone to track my kids, especially my oldest who just started driving, and the new maps are horrendous. The old ones told me exactly where the kids were and now I get maps that give a vague location that could be halfway across town or different if you zoom in or out. As a parent I find this switch to be extremely frustrating. People may not like Google Maps but you can't possibly think this is better.:mad:

Yeah, I came here to find out if anybody else was having this issue. It seems like the maps show one section that is then repeated and tiled across the screen with blank strips in between. And the location of the phone changes when you zoom.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Heh, and now nobody can find their iPhone. At least not where I'm at anyway. So many mistakes in Apple Maps it's kinda unbelievable. Just checked now and they still think there is a bank down my road. The building says BANK on the stonework but it has been an off license since the 70s at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.