Apple Travel Kit?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i-sidd, Feb 17, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I will be traveling abroad and would need to use my Macbook and iphone. I was wondering if I need to buy the Apple travel kit $39 or can I buy a travel adapter specific for the country from radio shack for $10.

Has anyone use from radio shack and what has been your experience.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Even a $1 one from Amazon will work, as long as the device can take the voltage of the country you're visiting, which they usually do. You should be able to read which voltages a charger can take on the brick part of it.

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

It may vary from device to device, but I know that Apple laptop adapters work automatically with most any voltage (standard North American and European voltages, which really covers almost everywhere.)

You can always charge your phone off of your laptop's USB port, as well.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All Apple chargers will work just fine with 110 or 220 volts. All you need is a plug adapter.

5. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

The Apple kit of adapters is a nice, well integrated product. I have one and have used it extensively.

However, the inexpensive adapters you can get from Radio Shack or Amazon have one additional advantage-- They can be used for other equipment, too.

Bring more an one. They are easy to leave behind in your hotel room. The Apple adapters are more likely to stay with you since they fit into the charger, and you are less likely to leave the whole charger behind.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Visit your local Radio Shack or similar. I recently took a trip from the US to South Africa and forgot my adapter at home, but the hotel provided one for me to use at no charge.