Apple treated me right

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdal1, Jun 20, 2009.

1. cdal1 macrumors member

Well after much anticiipation I finally got my new iphone 3gs yesterday morning (my first iphone by the way) and I get home and after syncing with itunes I find out that my reception goes from 3 bars to no bars to searching and then no service. And would continue to do this no matter where I went. After switching out a new sim from at&t, and on the phone with apple doing resets and restores nothing would correct the problem. So apple said they would send out a new iphone to me overnight (free with apple care) and I already recieved a tracking number and it shows it will be here on monday morning by 10:30 a.m. Even though I have a useless iphone, the customer service is outstanding. Would not have gotten that if I had to go through at&t. Well guess I wait a couple more days.

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

3. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

Really, well I didn't have apple care but they told me it would ship overnight free if I had it, and $30 if I didn't. Figured I might as well get it.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Try customer service with any company when you have no warranty...

You have 1 year warranty on all Apple products.

5. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

What does Apple Care have anything to do with this situation? All Apple products come with the same one year warranty. Apple Care simply extends that.

6. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

Well I might have been tricked, but they told me that without apple care I would have to pay $30 for the iphone to ship overnight. Otherwise with the standard warranty it would have taken 3-4 days to get to me at no cost. Correct me if im wrong.

7. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

They've always shipped me everything overnight. I don't have AppleCare. Just last week the rubber shielding on my iPhone USB cable started coming off, they shipped me a new one overnight with a prepaid label to send the old one back.

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

It may very very well be that the return would have taken longer and at your cost, but then again maybe not. I think it all depends on the rep you are working with. But it shouldn't be that way regardless. I consider something like Applecare for improved service during the first year to be a bit like bribery to get them to stand behind their product the way they should anyway.

9. Buckit macrumors member

Every manufaturer is like that...

Why would they spend more money than needed to provide a free service? all Free services always provide the minimum.

look at Dell for example... Get their Gold support and it is truly outstanding... I needed a new CD-Rom drive and they had it couriered to me in 2hrs from the time I called. Gold support costs a lot more but you are paying for a certain level of service that is uncommon.

Isnt that the same with AppleCare? if you have the free support then they will help you within the coverage of the warranty... but it might take a little longer to save costs on their part. If you pay for the upgraded service then they will go out of their way to resolve the issue because thats what you paid for.

If you want that level of service all the time then they'll just up the price of the device to cover the costs. Personally I enjoy having the option to have it or not.

If you want something better than the free version... then you pay for it. Completely reasonable.

10. manhattanmania macrumors regular

well i'll be. i had this same exact problem months ago w/ my 3G and i had to ARGUE with the guy to replace my phone. it really shows how, at least in my experience, the quality of service w/ apple depends on the person you get. sometimes it's a complete pleasure (like the time i dropped my iphone in my toilet and the guy gave me a new one for totally free, even though i told him the truth) and other times it's horrible (like the time i had the OP's problem and took a series of screenshots demonstrating exactly what happened and showed them to the genius who just didn't care until i got loud and wouldn't leave and proceeded to basically threaten that i could never bring in the iphone again for any problem in the future... but i got my replacement, and, MAGIC!, the problem went away)

anyway, glad it worked out!

11. hsleiman macrumors regular

Usually you have to pay 30 dollars for Apple to send you an iPhone before you send yours back. If the OP did not have Apple Care and wanted to do this for free, Apple would first send you a box in which you place your messed up iPhone. Then you would send it back and wait for them to receive it. When they do, they will ship out your new iPhone. If you don't have AppleCare, Apple charges you 30 dollars for the convenience of having a new phone right away without first sending your old phone in.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

First off, all new Apple products come with Apple Care. Secondly, are you going to get pissed at Toyota when you car breaks down out of warranty? Do you think Toyota is going to replace it for free?

Hands down, Apple has some of the best customer service in the world. Period.

Bryan