** Apple tutorials don't work on a Mac???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhobes, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

:eek:

So, I'm using my iMac (see sig for specs) and am at the apple .com site to review some tutorials(video's) and look at new systems, want to upgrade to a new Mac soon. I find it hard to believe there is no way I can view those video's. For example I click on Mac on the upper menu at apple.com, then scroll down to any of those "featured tutorials", click on "click to play" and all I get is a blue Q with a question mark in it. What's with that? :confused:

I view lots of video but it doesn't work on the apple site? I have Quick Time Player pro 7.6.4,
    Safari 4.0.3 and just downloaded Adobe Flash Player. I also used FireFox 3.5.3 & it doesn't work.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I just went to the page you specified and tried 4 of the tutorials (anatomy of a mac, move to mac , pc to mac: the basics, wireless basics) and they all ran just fine for me. If I right click on the window where they play and click on "about quicktime plugin" it says my plugin is version 7.6.3. I have a 13" MBP, running osx 10.6.1 and safari.

4. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

...and my Quick Time Pro is version 7.6.4 and the latest Safari, still no go-

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

6. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I just installed Adobe flash Player and that didn't help either.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Interesting. I checked the apple website and you do have the latest version of QT for Leopard. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and when I did my initial os install back in September I chose to install both quicktime 7 player and quicktime X player. Now my version of quicktime 7 is 7.6.3 and I just ran software update and no new version for me showed up. This could possibly mean that if you run snow leopard perhaps software update doesn't even check your version of quicktime 7... it only checks that quicktime x version is up to date. Nothing to do with your problem but just a thought.

In the window with the broken question mark... if you right click it... does it give you a quicktime plugin version number? I would try a reboot. Not that I expect it to fix the problem but it is quick and easy to try one.

8. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Nothing on that site works on my system...

CTRL click gives me nothing...
    Reboot doesn't help either...

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

One last thing you can take a look at. In safari, click on the help at the top of the screen and the bottom item in the drop down menu should be "installed plugins". If you click on that a page will come up that shows you all the plugins you have installed in your safari. You could try to see if you could spot any that might conflict with your safari's quicktime plugin.

I don't know if you have the firefox browser installed but you could use that to look at those tutorials.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Do I have to get rid of the QT 7 Pro I have now or will reinstalling it just replace it? I don't know how to trash or uninstall the QT I have now...

When I checked the plugins as xlii suggested there seems to be two identical QT 7.6.4 sumaries back to back. I would think having it appear once would be enough, Does that mean I already reinstalled it?

13. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Well, I reinstalled QT 7 and it still doesn't work???? Last time I tried to get the video's on the Apple site to work I also paid the $30 to get the Pro version which didn't help. Now that I've reinstalled QT 7 I don't have the Pro version anymore, doesn't matter though, never worked either. I guess it's pointless to bother with it, same reason I gave up a year ago, at least it didn't cost me $30 to check into it again this year.

I just figure, some day I'll ask when someone with the same experiences reads the post and can tell me whats wrong. Otherwise it works fine everywhere else, just not on the Apple site, so I can't use the tutorials. :p

14. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

15. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

xlii-

That was it!!! I did a number of searches too but never found that! I trashed all four of those items he mentioned then restarted, each restart all came back except "com.apple.quicktime plugin.plist" but it works. I'm seeing things I never new where there before, lots of things....This is great!! It also works on Firefox although those items didn't appear to have anything to do with Mozilla.

I always wanted to view some of those tutorials on apple .com. Guess what I'm doing the rest of this rainy day in Western Montana??

Thanks so much...:D:D

16. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Rhobes, I'm glad you got your problem fixed. I should have suggested googling your problem first off. I've found over the years when I'm stuck if I pose my problem to google search someone... somewhere... at some time... has already seen my problem and solved it.