Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I have been looking at getting an Apple TV for a while and decided to wait to see what the update was. However, I am now left with a dilema about which one to go for.

I prefer the look/size of the old Apple TV, but don't want to be buying outdated stuff at more than the new Apple TV.

I'm more likely going t use the Apple TV to watch films I rip from my DVD collection (as our internet is 0.5Mbps so too slow to rent films, etc) so which one should I go for?

Cheers

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Honestly if you have the funds, I'd go for a Mac Mini with Plex 9. If you don't plan on renting anything from iTunes the Apple TV really provides little benefit over other options. I think there's even some external hard drives with video out these days.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I have been looking at getting an Apple TV for a while and decided to wait to see what the update was. However, I am now left with a dilema about which one to go for.

I prefer the look/size of the old Apple TV, but don't want to be buying outdated stuff at more than the new Apple TV.

I'm more likely going t use the Apple TV to watch films I rip from my DVD collection (as our internet is 0.5Mbps so too slow to rent films, etc) so which one should I go for?

Cheers

Even though the old ATV has a hard drive, it's not a backup device so you will need to have your content on your computer anyways. So I would go for the new one.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I bought another :apple:tv on clearance yesterday from the apple store. The 160GB allows me to sync a good amount of movies in it and have it be completely portable. Currently I have around 180 movies or so on my 160GB apple TV so I take it with me whenever I go with my son to grandparent's or friend's house and he has all his movies. I don't have to travel with a laptop, nor do i need to depend on a quality wireless internet connection to make it work.

The lack of storage is a deal breaker for me on the new :apple:tv. I need the built-in storage for portability.

The argument of obsolescense does not apply for my situation. It's like having an ipod classic with HDMI output and a remote control.

And now since they are being cleared out for $149.00, it was a no brainer for me to get a backup unit.

Stuart21

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I have a bunch of my movies backed up to my computer and I would like an easy way to watch them on my tv without have to connect wires and such everytime. If i buy the older version of apple tv how would I transfer those files from my computer onto the hard drive? I don't know anything about apple tv and I thought the new apple tv was cool until I realized you cant play movies from your computer only ios devices.

Hackint0sh

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
I have the older model and plan on keeping it, even though I'll still probably buy the new model. The older model has my library of home videos from when our kids were little. Can't do that with the new model, And I don't want to have to keep 100 gig of home video on my 13" MBP.

IMO it matters what you want the unit to do. If I knew the older units would get Netflix Streaming capability on a future OS refresh, I wouldn't even bother with the new unit. I doubt that will happen though. :mad:

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Honestly if you have the funds, I'd go for a Mac Mini with Plex 9. If you don't plan on renting anything from iTunes the Apple TV really provides little benefit over other options. I think there's even some external hard drives with video out these days.

There's a big price difference... $99 vs. $699.. Lol

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
:eek:

Overkill for what OP plans to do. If he primarily plans on watching rips/encodes of his own collection, and DVD at that, there is no need for a Mini, especially since such a slow internet connection would make streaming content via apps available in PLEX a no-go.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mini HTPC running PLEX but in this case, really unnecessary, especially considering the price difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.