Apple TV 1st Gen web browser

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SpetsnaZ99, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

If i Jailbreak my Apple TV 1st Gen can i add a web browser or is it only possible on 2nd and 3rd gen?

2. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I don't know anything about the 1st Generation AppleTV, but the AppleTV2 is the only one that I know can run a web browser-- as I have a browser on mine. I know for a fact that you cannot put a browser on an ATV3, as there is not, and will not be a jailbreak for it for quite some time.

But really, why would you want one on an AppleTV? A browser is quite useless on these devices. Your browsing is limited, and your typing/input is a pain in the @SS. No real advantage with it. I have a browser on my ATV2, but never use it, as it is more pain than gain.

3. roidy macrumors 6502a

atv Flash Silver - Full payed for version of couch surfer
    Couch Surfer - Free lite version of couch surfer

4. SpetsnaZ99 thread starter macrumors member

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

Those web browsers are slow and hard to navigate

Your better off airplay mirroring with the iPhone 4s & ipad 2/3

6. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

You can, with a bit of a fiddle and looking in the right places, get leopard to run on the 1st gen Apple TV, so you can not only run safari and web-browse, but also run all the other mac apps that will normally run on leopard.... the hardwares not up to running much, but it makes a superb "lite" iTunes server, web server and files server when combined with a large external USB or network drive.