Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
How about Front Row support in Apple's remote? Yes it is full of third party FR remotes, but Apple should cover it too.

Yeah I would love to see the Remote app support Front Row - I don't know why Apple hasn't done this.

Remember when Leopard was launched, one of the features was how Front Row was updated to be more in line with Apple TV. Well, since then, Apple TV has been continually improved, and Front Row has been left behind, again.

Will Snow Leopard bring any updates to Front Row to bring it more in line with Apple TV again?

mckandy

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
I've updated and so far it looks like a lot of the lagging and slow remote responsiveness is gone. The gestures for controlling video and music are really cool; I just played with them. The farther your finger goes to the right or left, the faster the fastforwarding/rewinding is. You can swipe through your photos with your finger flicks too. I like the 10 second replay gesture for video feedback. I've been wanting that for a while since TiVo has a button for that and I use it all the time.

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Here are the release notes

Remote app directional control - Control your Apple TV with simple finger gestures via the Remote app. This feature requires Remote 1.3 running on an iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 3.0.

Flickr Search - Search Flickr photo tags to find recently updated photos of interest. Save searches to quickly find new photos or use as a screen saver for Apple TV.

New view options - View movies By Genre, By Movie, or Unwatched. View TV Shows and Podcasts By Date, By Show, or Unwatched.

Updated transport and chapter modes - During video playback, click right or left to fast forward or rewind. Additional clicks increase the speed. Click down to show chapter markers.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3187

anonmill

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
If someone can run the patchstick successfully after the update please post back here. I am still on 2.2.1 because everything was working great with Nito and Boxee. I don't want to mess that up. But it is probably time for the update. And I agree with others above, this the primary way we watch TV in our house. AppleTV is a great little device, especially after some tweaking and when there is an Elgato tuner in the house.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah I would love to see the Remote app support Front Row - I don't know why Apple hasn't done this.

Remember when Leopard was launched, one of the features was how Front Row was updated to be more in line with Apple TV. Well, since then, Apple TV has been continually improved, and Front Row has been left behind, again.

Will Snow Leopard bring any updates to Front Row to bring it more in line with Apple TV again?

What would be the point of the Remote App supporting Front Row, when it can already control iTunes directly? I'm asking out of curiosity. :)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just installed it. In the My Movies it now has a tab bar above the movies list which has By Genre / By Movie / Unwatched.

Next to each movie it has a BLUE DOT - I think it only part blue after you have watch part of the movie. Also, the length of the movie is below the title (not sure if was there before). I thought the length was only on the left with descriptions and other stuff.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
What would be the point of the Remote App supporting Front Row, when it can already control iTunes directly? I'm asking out of curiosity. :)

Most of my media isn't in iTunes, it's just in ~/Movies. Front Row will load those up fine. Plus, it's not that easy to see iTunes from across the room - Front Row has nice big text.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
So when are they going to add the rumored DVR function already?! I'll buy one the minute the do, but not until then.
And I don't care if they are worried it would compete with TV show sales on itunes - there is still the matter of recording live and local & special broadcast events that will never make it to itunes.

msprouls

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
1080p Option

Just noticed a 1080p option in the Audio & Video setup. I don't remember this before 2.4. Am I missing something???

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Going on 3 years without cable. Keep the tv updates coming.

Looking forward to 3.0 with
- a better UI
- native iTunes on the device for complete independence from a Mac and ability to deal with large libraries on an external HDD via an the USB port
- ability to selectively sync music to Mac's iTunes library and TV shows/movies to a seperate library on an external HDD. Forced syncing to MacBooks with limited HDD size is not well thought out. :rolleyes:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Just noticed a 1080p option in the Audio & Video setup. I don't remember this before 2.4. Am I missing something???

Always there. The UI can be set to 1080p. Video won't play (and is not available via iTunes) in that res. The tv's specs can't keep up.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
It seems to have screwed up cover art for some of my films. Also, in the trailers section, the lengths of trailers have changed from minutes to seconds.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So when are they going to add the rumored DVR function already?! I'll buy one the minute the do, but not until then.
And I don't care if they are worried it would compete with TV show sales on itunes - there is still the matter of recording live and local & special broadcast events that will never make it to itunes.

They already have! They've contained it in an add on box and have released it under the brand name of "Tivo". They also release generic versions through your cable or satellite provider. :rolleyes:

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
What I'd really love to see in Remote is the ability to control another iPhone. Or to put it a better way, to put an iPhone into a mode where it shows up as a library in Remote, like you can do with iTunes and AppleTV.

Then, it'd be a snap to put the 1sthen iPhone I just replaced to work as a stereo. Or maybe even as a super-compact AppleTV :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.