Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tastydirt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Has anyone else noticed that AirPlay to an Apple TV 2 from an iOS 9 device now only seems to work with audio?

This seems like a new restriction as all my 8.4 devices can still send audio.

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
I have the same problem. I cannot get video or even pics from my ios9 devices to work on my atv2. Has anyone reported this as a bug to Apple?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 247

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
works fine for me

what app are you sending from?
if it's third party app, Apple only started taking iOS 9 app submissions last friday, and none of the apps currently in the store have been officially optimized for iOS 9. As a result some features may not work properly.

Try rebooting the aTV and your router, sometimes things get a bit screwy and that can get it sorted.
especially if it's not showing up in the airplay list.

also, since you're on 9 today, does that mean you're really running the new 9.1 beta? or the old 9.0 beta?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Has been working dine for me. ATV2 Netflix crashes a lot, I typically airplay from iPhone or iPad. Transfers the stream. Hoping aTV4 with real apps fixes this instability.
All through the betas been doing this, and as recently as last night on GM. I think you meed to go through resetting stuff.

So much for Apple stuff just works :(

Also been watching Colbert via airplay mirroring from CBS app.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Has been working dine for me. ATV2 Netflix crashes a lot, I typically airplay from iPhone or iPad. Transfers the stream. Hoping aTV4 with real apps fixes this instability.
All through the betas been doing this, and as recently as last night on GM. I think you meed to go through resetting stuff.

So much for Apple stuff just works :(

Also been watching Colbert via airplay mirroring from CBS app.

some of that is app-based. apps can choose to only allow audio to be airplayed (brighthouse cable app does this with live tv). It may be the cbs app updated recently.

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
works fine for me

what app are you sending from?
if it's third party app, Apple only started taking iOS 9 app submissions last friday, and none of the apps currently in the store have been officially optimized for iOS 9. As a result some features may not work properly.

Try rebooting the aTV and your router, sometimes things get a bit screwy and that can get it sorted.
especially if it's not showing up in the airplay list.

also, since you're on 9 today, does that mean you're really running the new 9.1 beta? or the old 9.0 beta?
I was using the photos app. I did reboot both my router and the atv. All my devices are on iOS 9 GM.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
"mirroring" - are you required to use mirroring can you use just Airplay? Also, is the the CBS All Access App?
CBS app sucks and doesn't transfer the stream like youtube, netflix, safari etc.

Mirroring is the only way

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
iOS 9 does not have a mirroring option anymore :-(
Mine does. Just swipe up and select my apple tv and there is the Mirroring option below it like before. I understand there is a difference in Airplay (security) but I am positive they did not remove Mirroring.

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
Mine does. Just swipe up and select my apple tv and there is the Mirroring option below it like before. I understand there is a difference in Airplay (security) but I am positive they did not remove Mirroring.

See image. Running iOS 9

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 590

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
My ATV2 is jailbroken because I wanted to run an older firmware (5.3) due to all the nasty frame skipping and crashes I was seeing with some files on 6.1 and later. From what I've read, I would need to update to 6.2.1 to re-enable airplay display but I'm concerned it is going to still have the issues I had with 6.1 and 6.2 so I guess I'll have to live without airplay. I have an ATV3 which is fine with these files on the latest firmware so Apple did eventually fix the issue but not for the ATV2 so I was left with a device that was badly broken until I downgraded. Sadly the ATV2 seems to be becoming less useful than my old ATV1 which still works well.

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
My ATV2 is jailbroken because I wanted to run an older firmware (5.3) due to all the nasty frame skipping and crashes I was seeing with some files on 6.1 and later. From what I've read, I would need to update to 6.2.1 to re-enable airplay display but I'm concerned it is going to still have the issues I had with 6.1 and 6.2 so I guess I'll have to live without airplay. I have an ATV3 which is fine with these files on the latest firmware so Apple did eventually fix the issue but not for the ATV2 so I was left with a device that was badly broken until I downgraded. Sadly the ATV2 seems to be becoming less useful than my old ATV1 which still works well.
It looks like Apple has changed something with ios9 which has broken AirPlay. I will buy the new one for games and AirPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.