Apple TV Apple TV 2 and Jailbraking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xjpsx, Dec 22, 2011.

1. xjpsx macrumors newbie

Hello guys,
    I have the same problem as other members, too many .avi and .mkv files, and I like to play them via ATV to my TV set.

The help that I need is the jail braking. I saw at "youTube" how to do it, and it seems that the most easy program is Green Poison. Is it..?
    I can also try to use Seasonpass, not so difficult, but I cannot understand how to install XBMC.

Because I am too old for that staff, I need all help you can provide me.

Thanks in advance

2. ajohansson macrumors regular

Use seas0npass its super easy. For the latest apple firmware it needs to be a tethered JB. Next install firecore's ATV flash for the ATV2 for 30 bucks. This will get you to the XMBC part. Now the latest firmware JB will make you go and install XMBC through a nightly build. Its not a big deal. All nightly means is its a nightly build to fix stuff that they find wrong and correct with the new firmware. You can downgrade firmware but lose other things that the new firmware has but XMBC is pretty stable in that environment. Not that is bad in the new one but it cn hang up. Also you don't need to update the xmbc every night either. If you run into problems update the nightly build. Its not to bad.

3. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Whatever you do, don't waste $30 on firecore. Just install XBMC and enjoy. There is no reason for firecore.

4. ajohansson, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

ajohansson macrumors regular

Really don't you need it? Sounds like I was duped...

Ok researched why i did it. I remember now. Its an easier interface to get it on there. No more SSH commands. Not that its hard but to each his own I guess.

However if your running 4.4.3 or higher your gonna half to SSH into put in the nightly the one that NITO has isn't blessed.

5. xjpsx thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an extra question, if I buy FireCore, do I need to jail brake with Seas0nPass, or not..? :confused:

6. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

yes! FireCore is a package that can be installed after an AppleTV has been jailbroken.

7. mbleopard macrumors regular

What firmware version are you running on your ATV2? I jailbroke mine with GreenPois0n and it worked like a charm. After jailbreaking it will have installed a nitoTV option on the main menu. From there you can install XBMC as well as various other programs, all for free.

8. xjpsx thread starter macrumors newbie

Firmware: 4.4.2

9. DrEnalg macrumors regular

I'm glad I got an untethered JB when I had the chance because while XBMC is wonderful it does crash 2-3 times a week (I use it nightly) and I can't imagine having to deal with the tether booting business on a regular basis.

10. mbleopard macrumors regular

Currently only Seas0nPas allows a tethered jailbreak of 4.4.2 and that doesn't support XBMC, PLEX, Remote HD, etc yet, though I read on another forum someone got XBMC to install, but that was most likely though command line which you didn't seem interested in trying.

Anyway unless you figure out a way to downgrade your firmware to something that greenpoison or pwnagetool support your stuck waiting which apparently shouldn't be a great deal longer.

11. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

There is if you want their Media Player app (which I use more than XBMC) as it does AFP as apposed to SMB. However, YMMV. Plus it lets me install the newest Remote HD easy-peesy.

HTH

12. xjpsx thread starter macrumors newbie

What next..?

Hi again friends...!
    I did, finally, j/b by season pass.. What is the next step..?

13. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

apparently it is untethered now but how do you jailbreak without paying for that firecore thing

14. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

15. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

season pass is free and it's the app that jailbreaks the unit. you then ssh into your atv and run installers for xbmc or plex or whatever you want via the that ssh window.

16. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Seas0npass and Plex. That's all you need, and it's pretty easy to setup. I'll see if I can dig up my notes on the installation, but it's really pretty easy.

17. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I don't think Plex works on 4.4.4 with Seas0nPass but XBMC does.

18. SteveJC macrumors newbie

If your reason for wanting to jailbreak your ATV is to play .avi and .mkv files then you do have other options such as converting the files using ivi pro (download direct from their site, not apple store), or use AirVideo if you have an iPhone or iPad. Jailbreaking the ATV is pretty straight forward using SeasonPass, but I must admit I restored mine last week to the original build.

19. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

20. JoeShades, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

JoeShades macrumors 6502a

the jailbreak was successfull, and what else should be put on the appletv now ? other than XBMC

21. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

22. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I'm running plex on the newest firmware out, I can even use the remote app now to controll plex.

23. shandyman Suspended

I've tried installing plex twice last night and each time, the screen goes black on me and i can't get it back, using season pass and 4.4.4, any ideas? i'm sure i'm using the latest plex, i did try the specific version number, but it didn't like it, so did the install without the version number.

Any ideas?

24. JamesDo macrumors regular

They are both great tools for a easy and quick jailbreak, just follow the on-screen steps or check out these tutorials to jailbreak Apple TV 2G with Seas0nPass and install XBMC on the Apple TV 2G.

----------

You sure everything went well? Else try to re-jailbreak your device, it sometimes happens to be that a package isn't fully installed. Did you also try to reboot your Apple TV once?

25. shandyman Suspended

the jailbreak worked fine, used seasonpass and saw the FC logo, logged in via SSH, it all downloaded fine according to that. Screen then went blank on apple TV and couldn't reboot via menu as no GUI, I unplugged and replugged the power cable and I see the apple logo then black screen. I redid the jailbreak and same again.